Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year we were having lots of problems with my wife's Peugeot 207. It has the 1.4 8v TU3A KFV engine which is the same one as they put in the older Peugeot 206. We were having problems with it loosing lots of water, overheating, excess pressure in the water and oil in the water etc. all the classic signs of a blown head gasket. I have since done the head gasket on it and there has now been no noticeable loss of water in the 5 weeks since I fixed it. When used for short school runs etc, the car now starts and runs lovely. The problem we are now having with it is when it gets a bit warm such as when it has been sat in traffic and then it sometimes cuts-out and then then struggles to turn over when you try to restart it. Prior to me doing the head gasket it had only ever done this once before and that was when it had lost all its coolant and overheated.

I am scratching my head with this one. Part of me is wondering if the cylinder is somehow filling with steam or oil when it gets hot and is causing the engine to lock up but then I have not seem any noticeable drop in water. We do have to top up the oil on it anyway due to a bad crankshaft seal but looking at the head gasket layout the oil would reach the water passage before it reaches the cylinder. Hot or cold it never did this before swapping the head gasket.

Has anybody seen anything like this before?

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
It actually sounds like a sensor that acts up when hot... so either crankshaft or camshaft sensor that need replacing.... but since this is a 207 you are talking about just get it readout. It will have logged a faultcode

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
As above, could be a sensor and unlinked to the head gasket, ideally get a scan. Could even be a coolant temp sensor.

When it's struggling to start but cranking over, do the RPMs still rise on the rev counter?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies, I have only just picked your messages up.

When it happens, the starter does sound significantly laboured like it would sound if the battery is flat. If you leave the car 5-10mins then it starts perfect. It starts perfect every morning even on the cold mornings or when it has been left for a few days. For some reason, that car really does not like it when the engine gets hot such as when it is sat in traffic. I did have a problem with the thermostat on it so I have left the thermostat out and so a jammed thermostat is not the problem.

I am wondering if the wet liners in the engine are sitting too low due to a worn engine. I hate wet liners!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts