Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a weekend away, where I had to park my car overnight at the back of a hotel which is normally pretty quiet, I have discovered a minor dent on my bonnet which I know was not there before, of course I am furious, more so because it is right above one of the "ribs" under the bonnet, so it can hardly be knocked back out from underneath. It's so slight, but I noticed it like a sore thumb and it's bugging me big time, I've not been able to concentrate at work all day.

I've got two dents now, one in the rear nearside passenger door, now this. I know door dents can be knocked out using metal leavers stuck down the window opening, but when people talk of "pulling" dents out, how is that done? Mega powerful magnets? Vacuum pumps?

OMG, just did a Google and found sites talking of drilling holes in the dented area to pull it out [:S] <collapses on floor...>

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Have you thought of giving one of those invisible mending companies a ring ? I've not used one but they are supposed to be able to sort this sort of sent out as their bread and butter work. Remember it not costing to much either .

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Shiuming if you want a number for a guy around your area to remove dents PM me I've used him load of times on cars plus my own & he is excellent.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Danny, you have PM. I remember you mentioned that at the Richmond meet. It's just little things like this that are the beginning of the downfall of a car's appearance, I've had mates try to calm me down by joking that it adds character, but they know me really...

Mister_E: You serious? To be honest I think I'd end up doing more damage than I'd fix so I'd better leave it to the professionals!

·
Registered
557 Posts
suction cups (amongst other means) are a tried and tested proffesional method.  Purchasing a suction cup (or borrowing) is certainly a cheaper harmsless DIY way of going about it first.  Or you can jump straight in and pay ?50 per dent (for someone to come 'round and use a suction cup to get the dent out!)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
suction cups (amongst other means) are a tried and tested proffesional method. Purchasing a suction cup (or borrowing) is certainly a cheaper harmsless DIY way of going about it first. Or you can jump straight in and pay ?50 per dent (for someone to come 'round and use a suction cup to get the dent out!)
Sorry with all the different dent guys I've had to use in the trade, I've never seen any one turn up with a suction cup do a dent with only ever used hammers, rubber chisels & a white board on sucker with black line down the middle of it.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to go with your recommendation, Danny. I wouldn't dare try bodywork myself, I just know I'd make a total mess of it!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm going to go with your recommendation, Danny. I wouldn't dare try bodywork myself, I just know I'd make a total mess of it!
Could tou let me know how you get on, i have a small golf ball dent in my rear arch i need sorted. if you guy comes out as far as guildford ill use him. (group buy)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I too could be interested in getting a small ding in the rear hatch flatten out, and will be in the Kingston/New Malden area from this time next week until the new year.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I work in New Malden mate, maybe we could organise a small local meet and get some beers down or something. Maybe you could take some pics of your dent and I'll make enquiries for you as well?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've got a couple of dents too and would be willing to come over to that sort of way at the weekend - reckon we'd get a discount for 3 of us?

Next Sunday would be best for me I think!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where are you coming from? Sounds like a good idea. Danny has worked in the motor trade and used this guy with top results loads of times including his own Golf.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I work in New Malden mate, maybe we could organise a small local meet and get some beers down or something. Maybe you could take some pics of your dent and I'll make enquiries for you as well?
That would be great. I had the car PDR'd in the summer, but missed one on the rear hatch, below the badge and above the lock that needs addressing.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Where are you coming from? Sounds like a good idea. Danny has worked in the motor trade and used this guy with top results loads of times including his own Golf.
On the Sunday, I'll be coming over from Wembley so not too far! How much does it cost?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts