Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Phoned dealer yesterday and he said my black GTI has a build date of week 16 (ordered on 29th Jan), so I guess delivery will be week 18/19.

Anyway, the reason I phoned was to enquire about adding the highline comp to the spec. The dealer said you cannot amend the spec once a build date has been received. My question is what is the latest any of you guys have been able to change the spec or is my dealer correct in what he is saying.

Steve

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a build week of 15, although I think it is still provisional.

I just added the Winter pack today, and there didn't seem top be a problem

Now I'm thinking I might add the centre armrest tomorrow [:)]

If they would hurry up and build my car I will stop adding things. Maybe thats why there are such long lead times [:D]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'll call into the dealer tomorrow and try again. He did seem quick to say no to my request and I'm sure I have read on here somewhere that people have added things right up to within a couple of weeks of build.

I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Steve

I tried adding the Highline computer a while back to my new GTi. Unfortunately once you have received a build date it means the order is confirmed with the factory and hence you cannot change the spec.

The best thing you can do is ask the dealer for your commission number then call VW customer care (0800 711 811) and they will tell you for definate whether or not the spec can be changed.

Its worth getting an answer from the 'Horse's Mouth'.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote: posted by Gnasher on 10/03/2005 23:01:52

Steve

I tried adding the Highline computer a while back to my new GTi. Unfortunately once you have received a build date it means the order is confirmed with the factory and hence you cannot change the spec.

The best thing you can do is ask the dealer for your commission number then call VW customer care (0800 711 811) and they will tell you for definate whether or not the spec can be changed.

Its worth getting an answer from the 'Horse's Mouth'.

The build date does not go to confirmed until about 2-3 weeks b4 the car is actually built, until then you can change things, my dealer said i could not change things but VW said i could, with those biuld dates i reckon you can still change. The build date the dealer is talking about is provisional, you can still spec change at this stage

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Steve.

Gnasher is right, if you change the spec you are risking a build date change. I had same issue when thinking of upgrading stereo so didn't bother. Has to be worth ringing VW direct though as he says.

I am taking delivery next Tuesday so the time from build (week 9) was only 2 weeks. Could have had it sooner but have been at the Geneva motor show so wasn't able to sort the insurance. So thats exactly four months with admittedly a month of 'pre-order'.

Regards,

Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Success [^]

Called into the dealer on my way home from work. The salesman who sold me the car was busy with another customer. I asked another salesman, and two minutes later the highline comp is added to the spec.

TheDoc is right. My build date of week 16 is provisional and will be confirmed in 2 to 3 weeks. Up to that point I can still change the spec. I guess if you changed it considerably (adding DSG) you risk a delay though.

The moral here is don't always believe what the salesman tells you !!!!

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well done Steve, I was told by the dealer (same as yours) that I couldn't add cd / armrest even though build date was provisional. You hit the nail on the head, they tell you lies, more lies and damn lies!

Never mind I'll have to make do with the single cd slot. [:(] What do you get extra on the highline comp?

Mark, yes i'm paying about ?24k which is an awful lot for a Golf. I'll find out on Tuesday if its worth it. Wish me luck!!

Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ken, maybe your car will be the first GTI I see on the road. The dealer at the Silverlink did say they have 15 cars due for delivery during March.

As for the highline comp. Not exactly sure what you gain over the midline apart from it looks a little better in the dash (twice as high) and for 45 quid its probably worth it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Quote: posted by steve-GTI on 12/03/2005 13:02:27

As for the highline comp. Not exactly sure what you gain over the midline apart from it looks a little better in the dash (twice as high)

Yes, twice the height and twice the amount of distracting glare I would imagine although I am getting somewhat used to the amount of glare from my radio display, despite the fact that the illumination level can be adjusted. The Highline computer would be a large area of often unwanted light just to the left of one's eyesight when driving down dark roads at night. I would like to be able to turn it off independently of the main essential dials etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Steve, you def did right thing ordering the highline comp. The headlights come on when you unlock the car at night which is a great feature, but I would have liked to be able to adjust the time delay on this. Guess what the highline comp does!!

Doesn't take away the fact that this is the best car i've ever owned and that includes Audi TT 225 coupe, Impreza Turbo, Clio Williams, Seat Leon Cupra Turbo and a Mondeo (dont ask). The ride / handling is absolutely fantastic with the 18inch alloys which I know you were wondering about.

I live in Northburn so wave if you see me!!

Regards,

Ken

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Ken, you can take your car to your local stealer and ask them to adjust your coming home/leaving light delay etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Build date is week 15, tried to add Highline and central armrest yesterday but was told that the computer was down so couldn't really confirm whether I could have it or not. At least the dealer didn's say no straight away, although he said that the order may have been frozen as it was nearing production.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dealer took about 7 weeks to confirm my delivery. Although today it has moved from week 15 to 16, dealer said this was despite me adding Highline and Armrest to order.

Don't get worried about not having a delivery date as in total its going to be around 5 months for delivery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
5 months ? Yikes ! The stealer told me abt 8-10 weeks when he was chasing my business..a little porky me thinks?[:(!]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quote: posted by dmonk on 17/03/2005 12:48:50

5 months ? Yikes ! The stealer told me abt 8-10 weeks when he was chasing my business..a little porky me thinks?[:(!]

Depends on what you order. Mine told me 8-10 weeks when I ordered, when I saw him the other day it was still the same from when I ordered with build in week 13. He did however say that anyone else ordering now from them would be quoted 16 weeks+ due to allocation, with further additions if you order DSG.

A lot of people are saying there are delays on DSG orders, especially if you have the paddles too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you're car can come from stock you're lucky but if it needs to be built you're looking at 5 months. I ordered in week 3 delivery is expected in week 19, that's semi before the rush although I am getting DSG with paddles and leather. The worst three options for prolonging the build.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts