Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about losing my rear wiper to give it the uber smooth look

i cant even remember the last time i used the rear wiper!! i always put rain x on the windows so its all good...

what have some of you guys / gals used to fill the wiper mech??

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hello mate

I believe a 25mm rubber grommet will do the trick - maybe run a bead of silicon round the back of it to seal it 100%

I keep thinking of doing this mod myself and reattaching the motor during winter [:)]

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great! 25mm - where am i likely to get this from?

as i said i really dont use the rear wiper!! rain x is sufficient enough...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
MikeTDI is the man to speak to. I remember reading somewhere he had a load of the gromits.

He'll be able to show you what you need.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
goto Halfords. They flog packets of rubber bungs/gromits. Cant remember the size, but the pack you buy has appx 3 bungs in all different sizes. The packets will be where they sell fuses and other rubber rings etc. Appx ?1.50 per pack. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Was only trying to be helpful, didn't appreciate there may have been any level of comedy in my response
bleedin eck, chill out dude. If you look back i highlighted in bold the PRICE, and that my freind was what i was laughing at, not your response. Geeeez.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used a rubber grommet from Halfords and ran a bead of silicone sealant around it. Fitted about 2 years ago and never had any problems yet. Cheap and very easy mod to do.

While on this subject, can anybody help me out with a related problem.

I have also removed all of the rear wiper and bunged up the water supply pipe, however I am still scared that somebody will acticate this function on the wiper stalk and fill my boot with water.

I have been told that the solution is to either fit a Bora water pump (two pin) to the water tank or locate the positive pins on the golf pump and disconnect the pin that supplies power for the rear wipe fluid. Can anybody tell me which wire is which. There should be three- One common earth, one power for front and one power for rear.

Cheers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not a fault proof plan but could use a small plastic container or drinks bottle cable tied to the tailgate so that if it is used by mistake you will just fill it up

·
Registered
141 Posts
took my rear wiper off this morning, so simple to do, hardest thing was taking the wiper arm off, back left with a bit of wd40 for 5 mins and it came straight off.

used a gromit from halfords, finally got hold of one!

looks the mutts nuts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts