Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one would you choose for a Canon 20D?

Sigma Lens 50-500 f4-6.3 EX DG HSM ?680
or
Canon Lens 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM ?1350
or
Canon Lens 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM ?1150

I will post more background info later

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
What are you going to use it for?

For wildlife and circuit racing I'd go for the 100-400. For rallying, where you tend to be much closer, the 70-200. I would rather steer clear of the Sigma, unless it was recommended by a pro.With a choice in the matter, Canon glass every time.

Tony

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first choice was the 70-200 because of the is and f2.8 !

I was then tempted to buy a 2x converter which would take it upto f4.8

What will I be using them for....general photography,wildlife,aircraft, sports, people

I already have the Canon 75-300 usm but I wanted something with a bit more punch.I am not really happy with the quality obtained from this lens. It remindes me of the dreaded 18-55! On some landscape shots even with a tripod and a shutter speed of 125/250 there is slight loss of sharpness.

my current lenses are

10-22, 17-85,75-300 all Canon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Canon 100-400L series, it's a top piece of kit and highly recommended. It obviously wont be as fast as the f2.8 lense, but don't let that put you off. Maybe the 70-200L 2.8 might be the better option though, a really nice fast lense, add either the 1.4x or 2x converters to get the extra range. I'm not a pro by any means, but the Cannon L series glass is just about the best out there IMHO, I dont think you'd be dissapointed with either of the above options.

Just my 2p.[:p]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Canon 100-400L series, it's a top piece of kit and highly recommended. It obviously wont be as fast as the f2.8 lense, but don't let that put you off. Maybe the 70-200L 2.8 might be the better option though, a really nice fast lense, add either the 1.4x or 2x converters to get the extra range. I'm not a pro by any means, but the Cannon L series glass is just about the best out there IMHO, I dont think you'd be dissapointed with either of the above options.

Thanks for that.

The choice is now with the OM lenses. I have trawled all sort of photographic sites for the pro's cons about these lenses. Funnily enough your advice about the 70-200 with a 2x came up a few times. I did read that the 100-400 zoom suffers with dust suction into the lens ! Have you experienced this?

I do not want to buy a lens and regret it.I have just missed a Canon open day up at a store in Liverpool. I really should try before I buy.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You could go for the Tamron equivalent, far cheaper than the L series
glass for almost identical quality. Yes the Canon lens is better but is
it hundreds of pounds better?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts

Thanks for that.

The choice is now with the OM lenses. I have trawled all sort of photographic sites for the pro's cons about these lenses. Funnily enough your advice about the 70-200 with a 2x came up a few times. I did read that the 100-400 zoom suffers with dust suction into the lens ! Have you experienced this?

I do not want to buy a lens and regret it.I have just missed a Canon open day up at a store in Liverpool. I really should try before I buy.
I'm popping along to that open day today - anything you want me to take a look at?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you have a look at the 2 Canon lenses 70-200 L and the 100 - 400L .

1)Your first impression

2) weight

3) can the 70-200 L be used with a 2x converter and still retain af?

4)How much are they?

5)delivery times?

6) I have heard rumors of a revised 100-400 are these rumors correct?

thanks

ps the mrs is going to kill me I should be finishing off the kitchen ......I have been at it for 3 months!!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I'll print that off and have a natter with them mate, will let you know what they say. I"d be interested to know about the AF question too, as I'd like to get a 2x converted for my Sigma lens.

Btw I've got the Sigam 70-200 f2.8 USM lens and its a bt of on the weighty side.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Reet, just been down to Calumet. Lots of people with cameras around their necks - felt abit out of place without mine [:p]

They had the 100-400L series lense on display, which although not attached to a camera could be picked up and handled. Had goo look at the lens anyway. First impression was its not that much heavier than the Sigma lens I have at the moment, but not having the lens to compare at the time I couldn't be 100% on this. Grip wise the lens was quite ergonomic, with zoom and focus rings being quite accurate and smooth.

They didn't have a 70-200L on display, unfortnately. Apparently the Canon rep was supposed to bring one but due to a problem with the lens it had to be returned to Japan. He mentioned something about the first 1000 lenses to be produced had a problem with streaking? His of course was one of the first 1000....

Anyway, managed to collar the rep and talk briefly about the two lenses you specified. In his opinion given the choice of the two, he would plump for the 70-200 due its better ability to shoot with fixed appetures. He seemed quite confident in this fact.

I asked about the 2x converter and AF functionality - yes both lenses will retain AF with converters (canon).

When asked about the rumours of a revised 100-400L he dismissed these. The current 100-400L will be around for some time!

HTH

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did read that the 100-400 zoom suffers with dust suction into the lens ! Have you experienced this?

Not so far, haven't heard that before.

As far as I'm concerned a top piece of kit, no complaints.[Y]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Canon Lens 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM has been ordered and "should" be with me this week.

It arrived this morning........WOW. All I need now is some decent weather.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I reeeeeaaaalllly didn't want that image appearing on my 21" monitor! Dial up beware, everyone else stand back!

Tony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts