Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanting to decat my 130bhp tdi golf and was just wanting to know is it worth doing?

was thinking of getting a straight pipe and getting a garage to cut the car out and weld that one in place. I have read that i might get an engine light on though if i do this? is this true?

is it worh doing, will it effect mpg?

cheers

jake

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I did a de-cat on my Bora pd130 a year ago after the exhaust snapped nearby. At low revs and light to medium throttle settings, no real difference. At higher revs and more pedal, noticeably faster. The only downside was the exhaust smell was more like the old taxi smell. Mine went through its MOT a week later with just a note made about the cat removed. No lights or warnings on the dash. ?50-70 well spent.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wicked cheers guys, il probs get a garage to weld a straight pipe in then. It wont effect fuel consumpsion will it? and ibe heard it will make it more smokey?

what are anyones thoughts on exhausts on a derv? i wouldnt mind one, not a loud one and a disceet one which dosent come out the back.. worth getting? any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
wicked cheers guys, il probs get a garage to weld a straight pipe in then. It wont effect fuel consumpsion will it? and ibe heard it will make it more smokey?

what are anyones thoughts on exhausts on a derv? i wouldnt mind one, not a loud one and a disceet one which dosent come out the back.. worth getting? any recommendations?
Generally I believe all Dervs should have an Exhaust.....

Firstly because it would be far too noisy and smelly without, but mainly to pass an MOT. Oh, and the fuel consumption would be dump without one haha

Might want to re-word your question [:p]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha alright sorry about that, i mean't like a sports backbox. On my old car the exhaust pipe came unwelded from the backback.. sounded quite meaty, but kept on cutting out when stationairy so i wouldnt reccomend!

any info on any non standard exhausts?

·
All Star
1,384 Posts
Hi!

Yeah, its worth it.

The pull range will be a bit different after the decat.

When I wanted to sell my car, I've changed back everything to stock OEM.

Was the driving the car with decat + sport backbox, cold air feed, Egr blanked before.

After the changing back to OEM, the car felt totally different.

She had no power after 3k rpm.

So with the decat u will get some free breath for the turbo, and the car will pull a bit differently.

Worth a try.

If you dont want to spend a fortune on some sport cat or something like that, just get a straight pipe, and get a professional to weld it to your system, and cut the old cat.

You will pass the MOT, so its not a problem.

You wont get any engine lights, cause diesel systems do not have lambda sensors.

·
All Star
1,384 Posts
Lets open a new thread, so we can swap our knowledge about it.

My opinion is..

Who cares about it?

And No, i dont know the reason, why will it pass the mot, but when they've tested the car, the mechanic was asking, where do I fill up, cause the result was impressive.And yap .. without the cat, plus EGR disable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts