Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through the search stuff on the forum, everything seems to be about getting millteks etc. My cat has snapped and due to type approval is £210 to replace!! I can get cheaper off ebay but not sure of the quality / fit. Its much more benficial to me to get a decat pipe but I am unlikely to ever upgrade my standard exhaust system( my wife's moaning about me changing the suspension, and moaned about changing the front badge! - maybe its the wife I should change lol). I don't want to spend £200+ just want the cheapest decat available, does anyone know where I can get one at the cheapest price? Do I need extra's / fitting kits?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
517 Posts
get the miltek mate if you weld it, expect it to vibrate or brake again replace it then you wont need to get under it again till its service is due :) happy days

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
get the miltek mate if you weld it, expect it to vibrate or brake again replace it then you wont need to get under it again till its service is due :) happy days
Don't really want a bit of pipe welding in or the expense of a Milltek, just somewhere to get a cheap decat pipe...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
i had this problem along with the rear box falling off and just hanging by the rest of the exhaust.

phoned around a few places and for a de cat i was quoted £160 to fit a de cat pipe, You could just weld one in place ( a straight pipe that is) but it'd probably not last that long.

I ended up getting a stainless system for £300 bit more than i wanted to spend but least it will last ( i am keeping the car for a while) it's not loud at all can't hear it even at motorway speeds

Just my 2p

Ian

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THS decat available here
Thanks Madman - Concise and to the point, that's exactly what I was after! I saw your hottuning comment and your build thread, the hottuning one is £100 plus £15 postage but their site - it's all Dutch to me! Just don't speak it! Anyone bought the FR&R pipe? Its looks good

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
why are people saying a welded in straight pipe wont last long? [8-|]

its just the same as getting a new cat welded in, the cat isnt a flexi pipe.

yes there's the saying buy cheep buy twice, but why waste money?

a weld in pipe is fine

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that's sorted now. Off to Plymouth to Longlife Exhausts. They are replacing the cat with a stainless pipe with flanges on it for £65! It'll do for now, they almost talked me into having a remap and the pipe for £275! Soooo tempted heellpp!!! Ha ha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts