Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car WAS fitted with a Pipercross CAI, which is like the Carbonio

Took my car into a garage at the weekend as my MAF was dead.

Driving home from the garage and all of a sudden I hear BANG and in the rear view mirror I see the remains of something silver in the road [:'(]. Yes the filter had fallen off, gone under my wheels and crushed!!!!

Well worth checking that they are kept tight [:S]

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
hello mate.i got a K&N that could possibly fit it?i'll do it cheap for you,too!what size is the tube it needs to go onto?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[:|] you joking?

the garage loosened it?

that ?200 down the pan

feel bad for you mate
Wish I was joking mate.

IMO they did loosen it yes but they said that it was my fault for not checking it [^o)] but I had made sure all clips were tight before I took it into them in case it was a leak that was causing the problems with the MAF. IMO when they were messing about with the MAF they must have twisted and moved the pipe enough to pop the filter off the end of the carbon pipe.

?239.99 flushed

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hello mate.i got a K&N that could possibly fit it?i'll do it cheap for you,too!what size is the tube it needs to go onto?
Cheers bud but I have put the air box back on and just going to get a panel filter. I was only going slow (30 max) and it bounced me into the middle of the road so I think I would be worrying about it happening on the M/way or something and god knows what it would do at that speed.

Much apt though

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
they said that it was my fault for not checking it [^o)]
If they've messed with, you shouldn't have to check it - that's why you take it to a garage, to make sure the job's done properly! Go back and get them to pay for it!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
If the pipes are still good, you could just get a Apexi Dry Dual Funnel Filter

Should fit the pipercross pipes

And its dry so does not kill your MAF

Hafizur

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
[:|] you joking?

the garage loosened it?

that ?200 down the pan

feel bad for you mate
Wish I was joking mate.

IMO they did loosen it yes but they said that it was my fault for not checking it [^o)] but I had made sure all clips were tight before I took it into them in case it was a leak that was causing the problems with the MAF. IMO when they were messing about with the MAF they must have twisted and moved the pipe enough to pop the filter off the end of the carbon pipe.

?239.99 flushed
I'm sorry but unless they specifically recomended that you check it, they are liable. You can't be responsible for checking every aspect of any work that they have carried out. For example if a typre place has your alloys off - they will recomend that you check the bolts in a couple of hundred miles time, so if you don't and the wheels fall off - that is your responsibility.

Paul

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thats ridiculous on the garages part! As everyone else has said, go and play havoc with them! See what they will do about it - even if its just a refund of some cash it'd be worth it!

Dont want to sound like a vulture - but if you dont want the CAI pipework, then I'll take it off your hands if you want to sell it on! Cheers, let me know! [:)]

Andy

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was back on the phone to them as soon as it happend and like I say they didn't want to know and just said "they don't just fall off its because you did not not tighten it" I would not mind if the car was in for a new back tyre or something and it fell off then yes I would have just put it down to me being a NUMPTY!

Soooooooooo not impressed with them and will not be going back again [:mad:]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats ridiculous on the garages part! As everyone else has said, go and play havoc with them! See what they will do about it - even if its just a refund of some cash it'd be worth it!

Dont want to sound like a vulture - but if you dont want the CAI pipework, then I'll take it off your hands if you want to sell it on! Cheers, let me know! [:)]

Andy
I was gobsmacked mate. I was that miffed at the way they shifted the blame onto me that I was stuck for words and it was only when I had put the phone down that I realised that their after care is shocking!

I can't see them giving me my money back by the way I was spoken to on the phone.

The pipe was going on ebay tonight mate but if you want it then your welcome to buy it. The only bits that were damaged is the filter and the metal link pipe that runs behind the headlight.

PM me Andy

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I'd phone up the mananger. Another joker garage trying to mug people off.

THEY worked on that item last. Therefore THEY are responsible if said part fell off, which it did almost straight away...

You entrust your car to THEM (professionals apparently) top fix it and do a good job. Your fault for not checking it before you drove off? I have never heard anything so daft in my life. Would you check your headbolts have ben torqued correctly if you took it into a garage for a new head gasket??

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Would you check your headbolts have ben torqued correctly if you took it into a garage for a new head gasket??
I can just imagine that at a stealers - 'Its not our fault the headgaskets gone again sir, we do ask you to check that our monkeys have correctly tightened all of the bolts...'

Lol [:)]

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Name and Shame the garage

Also, contact your trading standards office and let the garage know your contacting them

Hafizur

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd phone up the mananger. Another joker garage trying to mug people off.

THEY worked on that item last. Therefore THEY are responsible if said part fell off, which it did almost straight away...

You entrust your car to THEM (professionals apparently) top fix it and do a good job. Your fault for not checking it before you drove off? I have never heard anything so daft in my life. Would you check your headbolts have ben torqued correctly if you took it into a garage for a new head gasket??
If I said who it was that I took it to I do not think everyone would believe me, its shocking.

From readng these posts I am in two minds whether to go back now. I had thought about it that much this weekend that I started to doubt myself but after reading all your posts it seems that I am not as thick I had started to think.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Go down there and make some noise, but make sure you have got a comeback line for any daft excuse they may throw at you...

Threaten to bad mouth them and take it further. Businesses are built on reputation, and one piece of bad press could break them. Any garage worth their salt would apologise and get it sorted immediately.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Outrageous. I agree, threaten them with trading standards and if that doesn't work follow the threat through.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Why the hell should you check if they have done their job right? YOU are playing THEM to do the job! Would you expect your mother to check over every bit of work a garage did on her car? NO! Play havoc with them, and name and shame them here now.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts