Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well someone had to do it! I think this may sway the doubters as to the benefits of RWD.....

It has a M5 e39 engine in it, from the "old" M5, the standard 400BHP V8, tuned to 450BHP, with a max torque of 510Nm. It reaches a top speed of over 300kmh.

To get the V8 in the 1, Hartge put in a completely new exhaust system.

The car has 19" wheels, 235/35/19 in the front and 265/30/19 on the rear end. It also got the dif and brakes of the M3 (I suppose they mean the e46).

Some other interesting things are the Bilstein shocks, sport seats and steering wheel, and the speedometer goes till 320kmh.

In Germany you can buy it for ? 105.000 and btw, its called the H1.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copied from http://bmwsport.net/smf/index.php/topic,194.new.html

Also at http://www.fastdrive.org/content.php?article.487

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bet its incredible to drive..

Proper shame, BMWs are exceptional cars but they aint looking half as good these days [:(]

Still wouldn't kick one off the drive if it farted tho..

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well spotted Richard. Pics from Essen I assume. It was only a matter of time! Hartge are turning this into a speciality, as their traditional approach of higher-displacement conversions produces diminishing returns now BMW produce such amazing engines as OEM.

I've known the UK concessionaires for Hartge and Carlsson for many years, and have been lucky enough to drive a few of the demonstrators along the way.

I drove the E46 M3 converted to H5-spec (E39 M5 lump!) and it was just relentless. I complained about it acting strange at various times when I booted it and it was just the traction control[:eek:)]. It had a top speed of over 190mph.

I also drove the E36 H5 3.5 (only 3 in the UK) and borrowed it for 4 days. That was superb, and would have made a great daily driver as it was still nimble with the 3.2l Evo engine rebored to 3.5l, 350bhp and loads more torque.

Two months ago I drove their E36 development car around Goodwood. It is a 3.0l untuned engine, stripped out interior, rollcage, suspension and 6-pot AP brakes. That was so well set up it flattered the driver.

And probably my favourite was as a passenger in a customer's E30 H5 3.5, one of 6 cars built up from E30 M3 bodyshells in 1989-90 using rebored and tuned M635CSI engines.

Birds are in Uxbridge www.birdsauto.com

Loads more Hartge stuff www.hartge.de check out their 6-series it actually looks good too!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know too many of the right people James!

When my numbers come up I'll be beating a path to their door as I think Hartge are one of the more subtle when it comes to mods (except the engines of course!)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Although if I recall correctly Racing Dynamics received a legal-type letter from Herbert Hartge questioning their M5 lump in a E46 "conversion", as it turned out to be a rebadged Hartge conversion, which also claimed 450bhp from an untuned 400bhp M5 engine! Allegedly!!!!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Reflex TDI on 04/01/2005 11:55:37

Although if I recall correctly Racing Dynamics received a legal-type letter from Herbert Hartge questioning their M5 lump in a E46 "conversion", as it turned out to be a rebadged Hartge conversion, which also claimed 450bhp from an untuned 400bhp M5 engine! Allegedly!!!!

LOL didn't know that. Racing Dynamics are having issues at the moment...

The US firm importing their products registered the RD trademark in the US and now manufacturers copies of their products. They uses the same names and portray 'Racing Dynamics S.p.A Italy' and 'Racing Dynamics USA' as the same entity. When they aren't. So 'Racing Dynamics S.p.A' have ceased their agreement, and if you want to buy genuine RD stuff in the US now, you have to buy from 'RDSport' - ignoring 'Racing Dynamics USA'. Very weird!

Are you quite friendly with Birds then?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yes Mike I know Kevin Bird and the gang well. Have known them in a business capacity for the last 10 years. I have promised myself that when I move on from VAG I will have a Birds-prepared car, which as it stands today would be a high-spec 330d Touring Sport (family man[B)]), with Superchips remap, Hartge 19" Classics, Birds big-brake kit and all the suspension mods[:D]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by Reflex TDI on 04/01/2005 12:44:03

......would be a high-spec 330d Touring Sport (family man[B)]), with Superchips remap, Hartge 19" Classics, Birds big-brake kit and all the suspension mods[:D]

You can tell I'm a level headed chap - I dribble out of both sides of my mouth at the same time.......[;)]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Well Richard by the time I get around to it ([B)] must recoup investment in Anni!!!!), I should be able to do this to a next generation 335d with sequential turbos. Now you're dribblin'!!!![:D]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Tuned BMWs...so so sweet. Gets away from being just another guy in an M3. I need to get an E46 soon before they get too old...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Lovely engine, great drive, ugly car. 2 out of 3 isn't bad. BMW lost the plot when they designed the 1 series.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts