Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to have a look at changing the MkIV for a MkV so went to a nearby dealer [}:)] to see what was available.

"The Manager isn't here to value your p/x. Can you come back tomorrow so we can work out a deal and you can take a test drive as the demo cars aren't here either"

Next day, I phoned up to make sure the demo cars were there, which they were, and headed to the dealer [}:)]. The sales guy checked out my MkIV p/x, did all his paperwork and I then took out the GT TDI and the SE TDI to compare the 2. The GT TDI was awesome and I was sold on the idea of changing, subject to a half decent deal, which is where my problem starts!!

"How long do you want the finance over?" "Not sure", I replied.

"How much do you want to pay per month?" "It all depends on the p/x value", I said, "what is it worth?"

"I can't value your car without knowing this info, the sales manager won't do it." "But you know the car I want, and it's cost / profit margins so you should be able to tell me what you'll give me for mine!!" I said. This went on for a while. After a while, I was beginning to lose interest and said without a value for the p/x I would have to walk. He told me he'd "fight my corner" and call me later on Friday or maybe Saturday.....I'm still waiting! [:(!]

Now, is it only me or do the dealers [}:)] appear to be uninterested in helping or serving the customer!?!? I refuse to call him to give him my business and TBH I'm losing interest in VW, which is a shame cos the car is superb but if this is their service levels BEFORE I've parted with my cash, what will they be like AFTER, when the car inevitably goes wrong!!!!

Anyone else had similar experiences??

Rant over!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Name the garage !!

To be honest mate think how you feel about your experiance, Now imagine how the salesman feels working for a control freak sales manager !

What you need to do tomorrow is call the dealer ask to speak to the sales manager, explain that you have driven not one of his demonstrators, but two and you will now be buying from your other local VW dealer (make sure its not in the same group)......... and then explain why.

He will soon value your car, take this information and go to the next avalible dealer and get a deal !

Also, a call to VW HQ wouldnt go a miss.

In this instance it isnt the salemans fault but the control freak he works for !

GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is why I'll never buy a car direct from a dealer again.

Mate your best option is to sell your car privately, and buy a new Mk5 through a broker. They can work out a finance package for you, and you don't pay them anything. They have a list of dealerships they deal with, so you don't have to worry about haggling the price down, you pick the closest to you, and you'll get a 10+ % discount from a VW dealer. And the ones they use tend to give great service.

I bought my GT-TDI through uknewcars.com and went with VW Northgate in Bury St Edmunds - I'm so shocked by these guys. They helped me out loads with questions before hand, and went out of their when it came to sorting out payment and picking it up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i can actually say that i had a very good experiance with the dealers when we went to sort out my car, they couldnt be any more helpful. It might have something to do with my dad buying a taurareg 4 weeks before???

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TBH I didnt want the hassle of selling it privately - I know there's a few jobs that need to be done and don't want to sell it to an individual in its current condition. Looks like I'll have to get them done if I want to sell it privately.

I wouldnt blame the sales guy, he's ony doing his job as he's told to do it. In fact he was a nice chap, but am disappointed by the whole matter.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh, unfortunately most of the local ones are part of the same group! Still, would rather travel out of the area to another dealer! Anyone know of any decent dealers in the Shropshire, or surrounding, area?

·
Registered
322 Posts
i was in a similar situation when i was gona go for a 3 series bmw. most vw dealerships are keen for the business - but bmw and merc sales people arent really keen to push their cars, as they say 'our cars sell themselves' buggers!!! really off-putting!

went straight from the bmw dealer to the vw one and put down an order!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
the bmw dealer was the one in aylesford, the vw one was in gillingham business park, - JCB.

thinking of getting a 5 series soon, very hesitant going back to that branch!

·
Registered
782 Posts
One of my Golfs came from JCB Medway, And one from JCB Ashford.

Let me know when you are looking for a 5, as ive got some great contacts at a dealer

·
Registered
141 Posts
davemk,

sounds like they were trying to find out your budget first so they could stitch you up with the highest finance rate that fitted your montly payment!!

I never mind giving my monthly budget, then let them offer a deal, and then check out the interest rates, value for your PX etc. and go from there. You should compare the finance rate with the high st etc and every PX has a book value, so you should be at least able to get that.

Of course, I much prefer using a broker for purchase - much less hassle!!

Some brokers do take PX vehicles by the way. Virgin Cars for one. It won't be the best PX quote you'll get, but it should be the book price and the car you're buying is usually a heap cheaper anyway...

You pays your money as they say...

·
Registered
192 Posts
God its great when you can walk in with a big wad of cash.[:eek:)]

Er............no.........I dont think your figure is an excellant package. You and the "organ grinder" can go into the back room and come back with the REAL PRICE. "YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN" EEEEE EEEEE CHAMONE!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Davemk - I think north wales is accessible from where you are. I've found the Dane grooup (wrexham, chester and bebbington) very useful. Currently, chester dane have several GTTDi's MK V as used cars.

Also have a look at slaters in abergele, although they seem reluctant to negotiate on new car prices. I would definitely avoid corkhills in liverpool - once bitten forever .... .... .... ....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sounds like a total *** to me - take your business elsewhere!! I went to 3 different dealers before I found a salesman who wasnt a complete tool, the kind of guy I would gladly kick round a pub car park and not feel bad about it.

There are good salesmen out there - they are just few and far between. I would recomend my dealer bit after thier service dept acted like complete bell ends to me they can kiss my business goodbye, I now use Windrush in Slough who have been great so far, really going out of thier way to help.

Just walk away mate, dont even bother with these dickheads. These are the guys you overhear in pubs telling such blatent lies to their loser frineds - we all know the type.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try www.tins.co.uk good allround deal with px. Push for more discount and better px price. Uk dealer supplied, not pre reg etc. I have noticed there prices have risen recently tho. Also www.motorlogix.com. The above two gave me the best deals when I did my research.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found Fairways in Preston VV Good to buy from and Aftersales is what you would expect from a mainstream dealer.

Avoid Corkills Wigan at all costs!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sell it privately. You will get about 20 % more and a better price (cheaper) for your new one.

Dealers are stealers, they want to make money at both ends of the deal but I supose thats their job!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts