Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Mrs PD in this morning for it's yearly service.

The dealers were quick and efficient, but the comical list of 'extras' that they needed to do beggars belief.

No1.) Your front wipers need changing as they're not cleaning the screen properly.

The screen gets treated regularly with rain repellents, and the wipers were a million times better than the ones on the MK V gti I test drove minutes earlier with less than 3000 miles on it.

When challenged to show me why the wipers were inadequate, they changed their minds.

No2.) Your brake pads need doing all round. They won't make it to the next service.

Odd that as the cars done 37K on the original pads and the fronts have 7mm (new ones 12mm ish) on them and the rears 5mm (new ones 10mm ish)

No3.) Your brake fluid needs changing.

Really. Have you checked the boiling point of it? Didn't think so. Have you asked me if it's ever been changed? (it has)

No4.) They tried to charge me for windscreen washer fluid.

The bottle was full to overflowing when the car went in with a strong mix of fluid.

We must have used a bit when we tested the washers, so we topped it up.

So the 2cc's of water you used needed to be replaced by 2cc of washer fluid at ?4.99 did it.

Now I paid them ?230 for this service and I provided the oil. ?150 of this was labor to basically change the oil, and to inspect the car for tyre wear, brake pad wear etc, and then to lie to me that things are worn out that aren't

I'm going back tomorrow to get the 60K done on mine. I think I'm going to wear my 'do I look clucking stupid' T shirt.

The upside is they're lending me their GTI demo for the morning while mines serviced. Have to see if I can put 300 miles on it in 4 hours[}:)]

Sales guy was actually pretty good, and new his stuff. Shame the same can't be said for the service manager.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah isn't it amazing how the stealers think they can get away with murder!!!

The funniest incident I had was when I complained after they had done the water-pump/cambelt. I complained that they had not charged me for the bolts on the egine mount as they are one-time use stretch bolts. I asked them for proff they had been changed!!

The service manager came out and explained that VW head office recommend the bolts are changed, but that the garage never chnage them on MKIVs when they do the timing belt. I had to stop myslef laughing, and calmly said, OK so if you could just write down on a piece of headed note-paper that the garage will pay for any repairs to my car cuaed by the bolts snapping, that'll be fine...

Result was they offered to replace the bolts, which they did to their credit FOC. (I had marked the old bolts just to check they weren't telling porkey pies!!)

Stealers, it really hurts me to use them...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Although we can laugh about it Jon because you know your onions, imagine if it was someone that didnt. That level of service truly outrages me! Sure im well aware that dealerships nowadays make the money from service andfinance charges but that sort of behaviour is nothing short of theft!!

If my local and favourite dealer tried that with me i'd need more than a MKV gti for the morning to get me back in! I applaud you didnt give them a verbal dressing down!

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Simon it was Listers.

The mrs always makes me take her car in for service after they tried to shaft her one time in her old MKIII.

Mines going in and will be on the company account, so I'm expecting a right mickey take tomorrow.

Thing is is it's only 2 miles from work, and I only want the stamp in the book. The parts guys and sales guys always seem fairly switched on to customer service, it's just the service guys I have problems with.

Last time mine went in it needed front brake pads and discs apparently. Do you have some in stock I asked. I'm sure we do they said. I said I'll do you a deal. If you have them in stock I'll pay you double, if not you can replace them for free.

The service manager looked a little sheepish when I showed him the brembos. Always good for a giggle.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 17/02/2005 12:15:40

No2.) Your brake pads need doing all round. They won't make it to the next service.

Odd that as the cars done 37K on the original pads and the fronts have 7mm (new ones 12mm ish) on them and the rears 5mm (new ones 10mm ish)

No4.) They tried to charge me for windscreen washer fluid.

The bottle was full to overflowing when the car went in with a strong mix of fluid.

We must have used a bit when we tested the washers, so we topped it up.

So the 2cc's of water you used needed to be replaced by 2cc of washer fluid at ?4.99 did it.

Funnily enough I got told that my brake pads wouldn't make it till the next service too and since having them independently checked I've been told that they are only 1/3 worn and will last another 10k or so miles!

I also topped up my screenwash before taking it in and made sure I filled the container to the brim, but they still managed to put some more in. At least they gave me the rest of the bottle.

Quote: posted by Wilko on 17/02/2005 13:19:27

Well there's a surprise - it was Listers with me too!! Probably a different branch but it appears they're all as bad as each other.....

·
Registered
796 Posts
The service manager looked a little sheepish when I showed him the brembos. Always good for a giggle.

ROFPMSLMFAO!!! Oh to be a fly on the wall!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
They've tried to pull the brake pads and washer fluid on my twice (out of only 2 services!).... i refused point blank to pay for the screenwash (only a couple of quid), as it was already full to the brim, and it was clear for even a numpty like me that i had a LOT of mileage left in the pads.

Takes the pish, it really does.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i was sat in my local dealers for about an hour the other day while they were decideing what to do with my wheels and the guy on the service desk must have phoned at least 10 customers whos cars were been serviced and *advised* them the technician had reported that the front /rear pads need replacing !!! must be dealerwide thing methinks!!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dont you feel silly booking it in for a full service and then saying your not paying screenwash after its been done?

Whos worse, the dealer for doing the job or you for trying to get it for free afterwards?

Im sure its easier to just say , 'no screenwash please' and they will happily write it on the jobcard, that way everyones happy. Loads of people at it on here too. Your all at it I rekon ;)

Want a freebee and a good moan.. hehe

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
its things like this that force me to get my mate whos a audi mech to do my work. he wont rip me off nor lie to me. Dealers just dont give a crap and will willingly rob you blind when they think they are doing you a favour. theives.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I think all dealers try the brakes one, especially with women. My sister took her Mini One in and they claimed the brakes all needed doing (?300!) when they were more than 70% ok. Thats it, scare a pretty female into thinking her brakes won't work.

What I want to know is why this is not classed as theft or trying to obtain money by deception? It should be illegal

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 17/02/2005 12:15:40

What, only the pads sir? We would honestly recommend changing the discs at the same time sir, they're designed to wear with the pads these days.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote: posted by Golfgirl on 17/02/2005 13:24:39

Quote: posted by Wilko on 17/02/2005 13:19:27

Well there's a surprise - it was Listers with me too!! Probably a different branch but it appears they're all as bad as each other.....

I've just fallen out with my local branch of Listers at the weekend too! Anyone had any problems with them taking your car out for a "Road Test" when it's only in for an interior component?

It must be part of their training programme.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It took Listers (the same one) 3 attempts to find that my MAF was knackered.

The boot lock has never worked on the remote since I bought the car, but I'm too scared to ask them to look at something as complicated as that.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by sparrow on 18/02/2005 11:45:15

It took Listers (the same one) 3 attempts to find that my MAF was knackered.

The boot lock has never worked on the remote since I bought the car, but I'm too scared to ask them to look at something as complicated as that.

Isn't that just the position that the lock is left in that stops the boot unlocking with the central locking ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts