Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently picked up my GT TDI MkV and find it a great car. However, having a bad back, I was hoping the lumber support on the gt seats would give me a comfortable ride. Having played with both the driver and passenger lumbar adjustments, found that they did absolutely nothing to the seat backs. I took it to my local dealer and he came out to the car and agreed that they did nothing and so booked it in. I have just had a call from the dealer to tell me that the car is ready for collection but they could not find a fault. The technician in the workshop has tried a couple of other customers cars and confirmed that they don't do anything either so they have just said "sorry sir, lumbar support is just rubbish in the new golf" !!!

You what !!!

I didn't really know what to say to that other than "Okay, I'll pick the car up later this afternoon".

Can everyone else confirm that lumber is"Rubbish". I'm not talking about it being very slight.....I'm talking about you not noticing it doing anything AT ALL.

Might write a letter to VW and see what they say. Its one of the reasons why I chose this model knowing about my back. Does anyone know VW's headquarters complaints address or email?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I paid more attention to it at that time.  All I remember was that it had it and so I didn't really play with it  Slipped my mind.  Regretting it now though.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I noticed only yesterday the handbook says to take you weight off the seat whilst adjusting the lumber support, now I've not tried this yet, but it does seam a strange way to do it, but there might just be something to it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've got the electric lumbar support and you can definatly feel it moving, I'm in peterborough if you want to come and check my car. Or go to your local dealer and ask to sit in a similar car and have a fiddle with the seats

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm going back at 5pm and i'll try and sit in a similar car to see myself.  Surely if the electric ones work very well, the manual ones should be no different.  I'll post back with my findings tonight.  Cheers Guys.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yeah, I'm going back at 5pm and i'll try and sit in a similar car to see myself. Surely if the electric ones work very well, the manual ones should be no different. I'll post back with my findings tonight. Cheers Guys.
Can't answer for the GTi, obviously, as I don't own one but my lowly MKV 1.6SE has manual lumbar support but I have always been slightly disappointed that it does not seem to offer much 'push' into the lumbar spine (C19-C24?), as my last car did. The support seems to come in higher up the spine more into the Thoracic region.

I have mine on maximum support but sometimes think that nothing is there until I back it off and then realise that I'd miss it what it offers.

[:)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The electric lumbar is well away - could probably break your back -
you're the second person I've heard (not just off here) who raised a
question that it wasn't doing a great deal manually. Weird!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Aren't they different seats in the GTI to other models though?  That would explain the difference and therefore wouldn't be fair to compare.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I would say, OK if its "rubbish" you wont mind refunding me the cash for it as on option.

If he refuses, ask him if his sales people still take orders for the "rubbish" option or not.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've owned my GT TDi for seven months and 11,000 miles and one of the first things I did was to 'fit' (I'll explain below) a pump up lumbar support since the standard fit support seemed too high up the backrest and did not make much difference.

The pump up support is a Sparco item from Demon Tweeks and costs a hefty ?42.01 + P and P(I paid ?27 for mine about 10 years ago to fit to an aftermarket Recaro in my mark 3 GTi). It certainly does the trick. I've done two separate journeys of 400 miles in a day without any aches although I have to admit that I do not suffer with a bad back.

If the cost does not put you off there is the problem of fitting the support to the seat. Not wishing to pull the seat apart to see if the support could be fitted inside the seat back I opted for the 'untidy/ugly' but easier option of hanging it off the headrest pins by a couple of cotton straps. You can then position it where you want. Alternativley, just place it between your back and the seat- back when you get into the car and it should hold it in place while you drive. I know it sounds like a bit of a lash-up and shouldn't be necessary but.. (Demon Tweeks 01978 664466). You may find a similar item at an auto jumble. I gather that they are used in some bus/coach drivers' seats. I got one for ?1 some time after paying ?27 for the first one. I hope this helps to relieve your back problem - although it's likely to relieve your wallet at the same time.

Regards. Beddoe

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I would say, OK if its "rubbish" you wont mind refunding me the cash for it as on option. If he refuses, ask him if his sales people still take orders for the "rubbish" option or not.
Unfortunately its not an 'option' on the standard GT (Sportline) seats so no refund.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went back to the dealer and I think the guy who told me the situation over the phone went into hiding. He came out, saw me and went back inside. MMmmmm.

I looked around the showroom to see if any had the lumbar seats and they didn't and outside, it was cold, wet and dark so didn't get a chance to see others. I think I'll go to another dealers at the weekend and see what they say. I might even write to VW. Does anyone have an appropriate address. I can't see one one their website anywhere.

In the meantime, looking on ebay, there are a few lumber cusions that might have to do for now.

What a bummer.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've got the electric lumbar support and you can definatly feel it moving, I'm in peterborough if you want to come and check my car. Or go to your local dealer and ask to sit in a similar car and have a fiddle with the seats
Like Steve, mine works a treat.. The last Mk5 (GT TDi) had the manual lumbar support and didnt do anything...

Ive got a bad back due to motorbike accident and like you need the lumbar support to work. Im well happy with mine now..[:)]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I went back to the dealer and I think the guy who told me the situation over the phone went into hiding. He came out, saw me and went back inside. MMmmmm.

I looked around the showroom to see if any had the lumbar seats and they didn't and outside, it was cold, wet and dark so didn't get a chance to see others. I think I'll go to another dealers at the weekend and see what they say. I might even write to VW. Does anyone have an appropriate address. I can't see one one their website anywhere.

In the meantime, looking on ebay, there are a few lumber cusions that might have to do for now.

What a bummer.
Maybe one of them beaded seat covers!! I'm sure you can get one in a kit with some leather backed driving gloves form the SAGA shop!! [:p][;)]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I would raise hell with the dealer and VW.  You have paid for a feature that does not work, I think if the radio did not work in the car you would be taking it back.  Just because they are all rubbish does not mean that it is right. 

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just had my first bad experience with VW, Richard Alexander in Harrogate. My car is in repairs with them, and was supposed to be there for a week,a dn was told it would be ready for collections, today, thursday, I deliberatley asked at the time if that was am or pm, and was tol at 9am.

So turn up today at 9.15am, after a 45 min drive from Leeds (leeds, and otely branches don't have a body shop ). "Oh sorry you car is not ready yet. We were going to call you later."

After enquiring if i had got it wrong and maybe the car would be ready that evening instead (either a simple mistake or a last minute delay), was told, "oh no, the car is no where near ready at least monday or Tuesday", so another 45 minute drive, and two hours off work.

If they knew the car was going to be THAT late, they would have known about it long before yesterday, a simple phone call would sort the problem, and why are they calling people a couple of hours before collection, surely people will actually have plans!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Not good, I hope everything is to your satisfaction when you collect the car, which I would suggest you collect in daylight and make sure the car is dry. Try and have a walk around the car before reporting to reception and don't give back the courtesy car keys until you are happy with it

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, wrote a letter of complaint, and now they are bringing my car to me, which makes it a little easier.

Ont eh inusrance side, the other insurance company are now saying I went into the back of them!!!! Despite me having rear damage and the fron tf his car being donald ducked!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts