Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last & after a 3 month wait, I collect my car next friday.

Is there anything you guys recommend I get the dealer to set on the car before I collect? Bearing in mind i'll have the High-Line MFD. Cheers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The dealer can set the autolock feature (when u drive off) for
the central locking, which is not something you can do via the highline.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the highline on mine and you can set it to autolock the doors. They lock over 10mph and then unlock when you turn the ignition off. I can't remember the exact menus off the top of my head to set it, but let me know if you need them. My dealer didn't set up any settings as far as i'm aware when I picked up my car. The highline has quite a lot of features.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the highline on mine and you can set it to
autolock the doors. They lock over 10mph and then unlock when you turn
the ignition off. I can't remember the exact menus off the top of my
head to set it, but let me know if you need them. My dealer didn't set
up any settings as far as i'm aware when I picked up my car. The
highline has quite a lot of features.
Doh I thought u couldnt, ill go downstairs and have a fiddle with the highline and come back and let u know.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Don't forget to check out which service schedule its set to in case you want to alter it.  ( longlife / or 10,000 miles-1year )

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the dealer did ask me about the service settings..

He said VW were dropping (discontinuing) the extended (variable) service option as it was confusing most customers & majority of customers still preferred to service their cars once a year! He also said it would only be of benefit if i was doing over 18K miles per year.

He said it was up to me but if I wanted the variable servicing option it would invlove setting the car up with different lubricants etc..

So, my next question is: If I do around 12K miles per year (no more than 15K) would I benefit from the extended servicing schedule? or would it be too long between services?

I've also rejected the Diamond Brite option (gonna do it myself!) bought a set off GTi Fly for ?25.. Dealers wanted ?200!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The dealer can set the autolock feature (when u drive off) for the central locking, which is not something you can do via the highline.
You can set it, also set the auto unlock when key is removed etc etc

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes, the dealer did ask me about the service settings.. He said VW were dropping (discontinuing) the extended (variable) service option as it was confusing most customers & majority of customers still preferred to service their cars once a year! He also said it would only be of benefit if i was doing over 18K miles per year. He said it was up to me but if I wanted the variable servicing option it would invlove setting the car up with different lubricants etc.. So, my next question is: If I do around 12K miles per year (no more than 15K) would I benefit from the extended servicing schedule? or would it be too long between services? ... I've also rejected the Diamond Brite option (gonna do it myself!) bought a set off GTi Fly for ?25.. Dealers wanted ?200!
I think your dealer is talking rubbish. If they go back to fixed services every year they will be out of line with every other manufacturer.

Also, the car is delivered from the factory with the correct oil for variable services so he is telling you porkies there.

You are similar to me in that I do ~12k per year. If you read through the first thread about servicing 20Valve (a VW tech) gives a breakdown of how it works out for people.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just called the dealer, AGAIN.. & they tell me that all VW's leave the factory not set up to any particular servicing schedule.. Apparently VW have done a complete U-turn in their servicing policy.. new cars are set up for fixed servicing UNLESS the customer specifies otherwise.. The dealer just this minute told me the servicing schedule is set on the computer & the correct oil is put in during PDI.
I told him I wanted variable servicing.. he now has to put the vehicle back into the workshop for the right servicing to be set.
The dealer wasn't too bothered but I guess VW will be seeing a bit less of my money through servicing!

Thanks Kenl.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
specifies otherwise.. The dealer just this minute told me the servicing schedule is set on the computer & the correct oil is put in during PDI.
Sorry, I still don't believe this.

Any comment 20Valve?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna call the dealership again this afternoon to make sure the right servicing is set on the vehicle. Is the oil completely different between the two servicing sets? If so I'm a bit concerned about them cutting corners if the oil needs to be drained & refilled!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes the oil is different. Basically, the long life oil is better and more expensive.

I still think though that all VW cars leave the factory with long-life oil in them. If it is not the case then things hae changed very recently.

As quoted by 20valve who is a VW tech:

"The Longlife oil that comes in all VW (except Lupo) from the factory is designed to last up to 30k"

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Kenl,

Been updated by 20Valve on the longlife servicing thread...

cheers for your advice.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kenl, you're absolutely right..
The dealer has just backed down & admitted that the oil from the factory is indeed already suitable for longlife servicing.
All they do is set the on-board computer to longlife!
Then the sensors in the engine monitor the engine conditions. If the condition of the oil etc deteriorates before a set time then the service warning will start flashing.. That's all!

Them setting the vehicle to standard servicing sounds to me like a license to print money!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Indeed, coupled with charging for 5 litres of oil in a car with a capacity of only 3.8 litres of oil (as has been done by at least one dealer used by our members)!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts