Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have on dipped beam light on the LHS not working, as I was having the rear axle bushes done the dealer said the light not working was due to it being cracked and a replacement is £175. I, for the life of me cannot see a crack and all the rest of the lights are working. I was just going to replace the H7 bulb with another from Halfords. Is this suitable or do I need to pay for the whole light assembly? If I do need to replace the whole assembly are the generic replacement parts for £50 ok.

1999 Golf

1.6SE 8V petrol

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More than a little steep, that is a sheer drop. It was a VW dealership as they were the best people for the axle bushes and gave a fixed price for them which was good. Although they love the hard sell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More than a little as they wanted to sting me for a lot more I am sure. I am just going to replce the bulb and see how that goes first. I will risk the 4.99 and also test the fuses like the other posters had suggested.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would sort the light out yourself, If the light isn't cracked it's a new bulb and even if the light is cracked it may be ok if it isn't letting water in or throwing the beam pattern out, you can always try and source a secondhand headlight online or from a breaker yourself at leisure.

Don't forget to replace the headlight you got to remove the bumper and the dealer will bung the labour on with the price of the original light, they will probably bung new bulbs in too, plus the dreaded VAT and it's not looking too good.

Plus you get the satisfaction of doing the job properly and saving yourself dollar.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I would sort the light out yourself, If the light isn't cracked it's a new bulb and even if the light is cracked it may be ok if it isn't letting water in or throwing the beam pattern out, you can always try and source a secondhand headlight online or from a breaker yourself at leisure.

Don't forget to replace the headlight you got to remove the bumper and the dealer will bung the labour on with the price of the original light, they will probably bung new bulbs in too, plus the dreaded VAT and it's not looking too good.

Plus you get the satisfaction of doing the job properly and saving yourself dollar.
you dont need to remove the bumper to replace light bulbs bud

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never said you have to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs, you do however need to remove the bumper if you want to replace the headlight and that is supposed to be cracked [;)]

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I never said you have to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs, you do however need to remove the bumper if you want to replace the headlight and that is supposed to be cracked
haha another case of quick scan reading [:$]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The light has a small chip taken off on the inside but hasn't pentrated the glass to the outside so there does not seem to be any condensation etc. Just replaced the bulb and it all seems fine. It was a little fiddly with all the clips etc and the battery being in the way but it is all good now. Thanks for all the advice everybody, it has made a lot of difference with me gettng the right stuff done and not being ripped off. Much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts