Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a long time viewer, but first time poster.

After viewing the forum for quite a while and seeing some very good advice given to other forum members I'd like to get a second opinion on my situation with my local dealer and my attempts to buy a new MkV R32.

Way back on 6th October I put down a ?1000 deposit at my local VW dealer to get on the waiting list for a R32. I was told that I was 2nd in the queue at my local dealership.

The dealer subsequently told me (on several occasions) that they are not in a position to be able to order my car, and that they cannot even give me an idea of when I can expect the car. I've been told they have an allocation of 4 cars for the year, and that my car will be the 2nd car they can order. It seems they are waiting for VW to give them the ok to order the car.....but they have been telling me this since October.

I understand the demand is high, but I'm finding it very frustrating that I still have no idea when to expect my car! Having recently taken one out for a test drive I am finding it even more frustrating!

What do you think? Am I just being impatient, or has anyone else been given a similar story by a dealer? I guess I just want to find out if anyone else is having the same problems or should I be worried that the dealer is feeding me a line or two?

Thanks for any comments / advice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do as i did mate with my GTi, ring around as many Dealers as you can contact. There are bound to be many around; yeah, some may be demos, but i'd bet there are some with 0 mileage, although you may not be able to be fussy with spec, etc, and i'm sure your dealer will give you your desposit back..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Agreed with AndrewEdward1. Have a ring round some dealers as I'm sure there should be some around with zero or dealer mileage cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know many dealers had physical cars given to them, maybe instead of order slots [:(]

What sort of spec are you after?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I can only echo what has been said here. Ignore all this dealer BS that is designed to make you think the R32 is some rare Ferrari - its not, its just a Golf! Take a look at the VW website under 'used cars' and you will find one that suits you sitting in a dealership somewhere. There are demos but there are also one or two with no miles. No - you will not be able to spec every detail - these cars are already built but they are out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments / advice.....ringing around a few different dealers sounds like a good plan...will do that.

Xbox - In terms of the main specs...I was looking for 3-Door DSG in Pearl Blue (though have seen Silver and Black and thought they both looked very good so could be convinced of one of those). I did want a few other things as well such as the centre arm rest and the winter pack but I would be willing to be a bit flexible on the options.

I really don't want a demo as I know how the dealer and I treated the one I took on a test drive....it got ragged with only 50 miles on the clock.

I have looked on the VW website and there are a few R32 on there....only two with DSG, and quite a few are 5-door.

Looks like I might have to have a re-think in terms of the spec that I go for......there seem to be a few 5-door Manuals knocking about. Otherwise I could also look at a GTi.....did test drive one of those as well and thought it was very good indeed. IMO didn't think the R32 was a huge step up but obviously enough to convince me to go for an R.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My local dealer has had a blue R32 in the show room un sold for over a month give them a try they are Lookers in Middlesbrough

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I was under the impression the allocation for the time being is already sold or in the country, so ringing around the dealers may be the best option!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The main thing about this thread I object to is that your dealer took ?1000 off you without any committment on when/if they would be ordering your car. [:mad:]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Im with kenl on this one!

Taking a thousand pound off somebody so they can put you on a list is a scandal.[:(]

You know you have to pay a deposit but only for the official order of the car?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The main thing about this thread I object to is that your dealer took ?1000 off you without any committment on when/if they would be ordering your car. [:mad:]
Its about time VW got hold of the tricks the retailers get up to!

Sales and service depts around here are poor, and it seems to be a national trend. ?1000 and no physical order/car is a disgrace.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Its about time VW got hold of the tricks the retailers get up to!

Sales and service depts around here are poor, and it seems to be a national trend. ?1000 and no physical order/car is a disgrace.
I'd be having that cash back WITH interest.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I cancelled my R32 order as I could not get the car in the spec I wanted delivered by April this year. I put a deposit down in November last year with Vindis in St Ives, Cambs. Best estimate I was given being October 2006.. ish. I went round several dealers, same story everywhere. It's not so much high demand, but low production and there's a rumour that DSG equipped cars will take even longer. Either accept a lower spec and buy one off a forecourt (as many have) or order a GTI instead - better looking IMHO and almost as quick, oh and cheaper, much cheaper! That's to buy, run and insure! The choice is yours...

·
Registered
440 Posts
There does appear to be serious availability problems.

I know it was total luck of the draw that I got mine. I had a test drive booked in a demo and by sheer fluke the dealers took delivery of my car the day before. It was allocated to them pre built by VW. It was due to become their next demo, but I took it off their hands! So cars do turn up, but you have to be willing to compromise on spec. I was lucky mine was virtually what I'd have chosen.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think your dealers are spinning you a BS yarn,my understanding is dealers get allocated R32's based on how many other Golfs they shift,VW Dartford told me they ordered a shed load of GT TDi's in order to up there allocation of R32's

Sounds as if your dealer is low on it's sales target or there selling R32's to the highest bidder and or someones on the bung..

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Beadles Dartford's sales boys can be shifty (cunningly, so both good and bad) so that doesn't surprise me!!

Didn't know you were round here.

RE: the point - if you can't get anything from your local dealer, the advice above is simply sound - keep ringing round other dealers on a regular basis [:)]

C

·
Registered
207 Posts
I contacted nine VW dealers and all came back with the same tale of woe, so I don't think it's BS at all. I wanted a 3 door manual R32 in reflex silver, sat nav, leather recaros and a few other bits and bobbs. I could have settled for one of several cars that were physically on the forecourts, but none were the right colour or the spec I wanted. The closest I found was one that had the lot, aside from the colour and with that horrible grille, silver is the only colour I would take an R32 in. It stands out too much for my tastes on other colours, in fact, it looks awful on certain colours. IMHO of course. Simply, the number of R32's being built is not that high - that being the general feedback I was getting from the more honest dealers ;-) I'm having to wait nigh on four months to get my GTI. My current car took six months from deposit to delivery (an Audi TT). The higher the spec, the longer the wait it seems. At any rate, if you want an R32 and need to order it - I think you're got a long wait. If you can wait, don't order the R32 - spend that ?30k on the new Audi S3 that's being launched this year :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went into Alan Day VW in Hampstead today, enquired about ordering an R32, they said that most dealers are only getting an allocation of 3 per dealer which is pretty poor. Was then told it could be up to 1 year before i can take delivery. I wouldnt mind but it seems they are selling these new R32 well over list price for an ex-demo.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
440 Posts
Market forces I guess!

The salesman at my dealership told me VW are being very strick on pricing (no discounts etc). So to get round this some dealers are registering the cars and then selling them as "used" with a ?500 mark up over list. That's nice of them! [:mad:]

It's bad enough a private seller trying to make a quick buck, let alone the dealers!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I went to Listers Audi in Worcester today with my dad who is looking at an A6. Listers VW were next door so I popped round to take a look.

Listers have made me laugh for years now with their "creative" pricing. 12k mile 05 plate GTI for ?24k was bad enough but they have the ?34k R32. Now, it is a VERY nice car and does have leather, DSG and sat-nav, but ?34k is plain silly for a Golf. The sales woman (highly attractive - worth a visit) told me that the car was demanding a ?4k premium as a result of the dealers not being given any more allocation. She believed they would be able to start ordering cars around April time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts