Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from the dealer today. My order's been cleared to start being built on week 4, so will be with me in time for March 1st. That's the good bit.

The bad bit is that they've not got the option for rear parking sensors that I asked for just before Xmas. So, I've been told that as a goodwill gesture they'll fit after market ones for the same price (which allegedly usually cost more). So, I lose the passenger side mirror adjusting down, get them colour matched by the dealer rather than sprayed with the car, and they'll stick out a bit more than the factory fits, but they won't charge me any more for the privilege. Nice.

Also, I requested the rear air bags, as quoted on the VW website (safety is a big bug bear with me, won't get in cars that aren't at least 4 NCAP stars). Dealer says they're not available to order, even though they're on the site.

What do I reckon? I think that they forgot to ask for the sensors when I asked as it was just before everyone disappeared for Xmas. They've only just realised now the order's been confirmed & have called me to let me know. With the airbags I don't know what to think.

I'm seriously considering cancelling the order, as I don't like omens like these, doesn't bode well for the future ownership of the car.

Someone reassure me please, before I go down and get my deposit back.[:(]

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No fair play to them on that, they're giving me exactly what I initially ordered. I amended the order, but it's a case of why the amendment isn't possible & the airbags have been an issue from day 1. I even saw the screen that they couldn't be ordered on. My problem with the airbags is WTF is VW doing offering an option online that they don't have on their systems in the dealers. I can live with that.

The annoying bit for me is that the factory fit reverse sensors turn down the passenger mirror for a kerb view, annoying but I can live with it for a discount. The other thing is that is the factory fits are more 'flush' with the bumper than the dealer fits & the paint match. I'm spending over ?26K & I want it to look right. If anyone could give me info on that, I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
If you're not happy with the spec of the car and it's not what you ordered then tell them to shove it.  The parking sensors you could probably live without, but if airbags are a priority to you then I'd cancel the order on the basis that if you had an accident and the car had no rear airbags, would you be able to live with yourself if someone got injured as a result? 

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
There should be no difference to factory fit functionality and that done aftermarket if the dealer uses the same parts.  It sound like they are subbing the work out to someone else to do it.  I personally would not stand for it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, went in to see the dealer. They couldn't have been more helpful, they only have 6 cars in the allocation of this model, mine was already confirmed. If they cancelled it, they lost the car & it got re-allocated to another dealer on the waiting list.

Sounds bad, but they've said they'll take my initial order as stock/demonstrator and have ordered me one specced up as I wanted from scratch. The downside? I have to wait an extra week to 2 weeks until sometime between the 5th-19th March for the car as it's not being built until week 7.

So I've nothing but praise for the lovely people at VW Hove & I'm happy to wait the extra week to 2 weeks in order to get exactly the car I want. I was so pleased with the resolution that I added the window tint from the B pillar back to the order too! [:D]

So, I know there is much slating of dealers for various reasons, but I'd just like to say a big thank you to them & let you know that good customer service still exists!

Thank you all for your advice and words of wisdom, they were greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Surely you were not considering having the car registered prior to 1st March anyway?
No, I was gooing to wait. Likelihood of 5th March is remote though, mid to late of that week or sometime the week after is probable. Just quoted the week commencing dates. Sorry!
Glad to hear you got it resolved and that the dealer had the common sense to alter another car to you exact spec seeing as you have spent so much money with them.

Another good thing, is you will miss the March the 1st rush, so at least the car will be prepared properly.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another good thing, is you will miss the March the 1st rush, so at least the car will be prepared properly.
I know, but it would've been my first 'new registration' pick up day. Had a new car before, but not on 1st day of registration. Would've been nice, but there are advantages, as you say.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm really pleased for you mate, that you took a day to think about it, and went in calm and sorted it out. Good For You. [:)] Result.

HOWEVER..... what are you thinking of??? why would you want your new 26K car to look like a van. If you're going to have the windows darkened, great it looks nice if you've got the right colour combo, but have them all done, not just the rear windows. Or not at all.

Sorry mate, just my opinion.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm really pleased for you mate, that you took a day to think about it, and went in calm and sorted it out. Good For You. [:)] Result.

HOWEVER..... what are you thinking of??? why would you want your new 26K car to look like a van. If you're going to have the windows darkened, great it looks nice if you've got the right colour combo, but have them all done, not just the rear windows. Or not at all.

It's the family car. We did own an old Renault Scenic & a Ford Focus C-Max until the insurance payout happened. Then wifey traded in her Renault for a Mini Cooper S Convertible & I hand back the motability lease Ford on 18th March. So, the GTI will be the family car & tinted windows in the back means none of those awful stick-up sunblinds that would've adorned the car for 4 months of the year. In my mind, that's a price worth paying. If I'd got Black with tinted windows, might have looked a bit van-ish, but should look good with grey. B Pillar back is the only dealer option available & I can slip costs that are added on to the total past my wife. [:)]

·
Registered
72 Posts

It's the family car. We did own an old Renault Scenic & a Ford Focus C-Max until the insurance payout happened. Then wifey traded in her Renault for a Mini Cooper S Convertible & I hand back the motability lease Ford on 18th March. So, the GTI will be the family car & tinted windows in the back means none of those awful stick-up sunblinds that would've adorned the car for 4 months of the year. In my mind, that's a price worth paying. If I'd got Black with tinted windows, might have looked a bit van-ish, but should look good with grey. B Pillar back is the only dealer option available & I can slip costs that are added on to the total past my wife. [:)]
Oh YES, for sure the tints will look better than those awefull sticky up things with a picture of Rupert the Bear on [:D]

Jesus that's going to be a high spec car for 26K, isn't it? Nice, you lucky sod. They sound lovely on song, not that you'll be getting it singing, as it's the family car. [H]

Cheers.

Rob.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts