Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gem was from my usually good local dealer. The service manager explained that my recent service was set to standard (12k miles) because import TDI's don't have the ability to do long life (18k mile) services.[?]

I did point out that his service dept, set my car to long life servicing back in March. However, he couldn't explain how this could be achieved since my import TDI isn't able to have a long life service

I'm stressing the word import because all other Golf's made in the UK [sic] are able to have long life service (is the presumption based on the conversation with the service manager). I did also mention that long life service is an optional product code on ordering new cars, otherwise they are set to standard servicing (a bit like my import when I first bought it)

I disagreed with the info he was telling me in the politest way possible, inferring that he had been given incorrect information. I offered an opportunity to correct the information but he remained adamant that imports cant have long life service with the correct specification oil.

Just as a bit of background. I asked for a long life service to be taken 10 days ago as my import TDI had just reached 20k. When I picked up the car I noticed the next service sticker in the car said 30K . I also pressed the trip reset and turned the ignition and saw the MFD display SERVICE NOW. I'm sure you all know what had happened (or not) during the service. They undertook the wrong service and failed to reset the onboard computer properly (if at all?)

Let me know if I am the misguided one in this sorry tale - If I am, I'll get my coat[^]....

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
There a code listed on the the data sticker in the boot that confirms where your vehicle can be set to the extended regime.

Sorry I can't remember the code at the moment.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
If the data sticker in your boot and manual has the code QG1 on the list of codes, that means your cars computer can be set to either service schedule by the diagnostic computer.

Once again, an example of dealers trying to lie through their teeth to you.

I had a similar problem when taking my import (parralel UK) into a dealer and asking what service schedule it was set to. He told me the same. I then pointed out the QG1 code and explained to him what that meant. He scarpered into the workshop and came back with someone more knowledge than himself for me to carry on the conversation with.

The suited up salespeople will just blatantly lie to you if they dont know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
186 Posts
utter nonsense from dealer - mines an 'import' (i.e didn't come into UK via VW uk) and happily on longlife regime

I see you're in B'ham - spill the beans, who's the dealer??

·
Registered
264 Posts
My dealer had a ticklist which is filled in at order time - basically as if you want various options added like mats, scotchguard etc. But also had door/alarm settings and if you wanted std/extended or longlife service.

This was two years back - dealers don't like VSI as they don't see your wallet as often.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to look for a QG1 on the data sticker in the boot, there isn't one! The closest was QG2. So does this mean the dealer is right? Or is just the original configuration of the car from the production line?

Cheers

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: posted by ToneD on 24/09/2004 12:45:48

utter nonsense from dealer - mines an 'import' (i.e didn't come into UK via VW uk) and happily on longlife regime

I see you're in B'ham - spill the beans, who's the dealer??

ToneD, are you a QG1 or QG2 on your data sticker?

My usually good dealer is in Redditch.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote: posted by DBGTTDI on 24/09/2004 13:17:01

This was two years back - dealers don't like VSI as they don't see your wallet as often.

True, but ours has/will be doing nearly 40K a year! So they'll still be making lots of profit from me..

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Bora is Portuguese..portuguese license plates as everyone knows, and first time i went to a dealer here, they just said.

Bring the cars documents, so we can register it under UK warranty and if you want you can do normal service intervals or long life....

So..i think that has nothing to do if the car is import or not..

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
They are all imports, after all non are built in the UK. The QG1 should be shown on the options list of the data sticker (near the bottom). I image that a 2003 car should allow varibale servicing (my 2000 does).

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Here you go:-

QG0 without service interval prolongation

QG1 service interval prolongation

QG2 no possibility of activating service interval prolongation

QG3 without service interval prolongation, without service reminder

hope that helps. Got it somewhere on a link from this site but cant remember how.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Diesel - Thanks for the info on this one. I am wrong [grabs his coat[:(]]

One last question remains tho' how did the dealer activate long life service on the last service?

Cheers

·
Registered
712 Posts
and another question... why is an 03 golf not able to do VSI - How long has your golf been sat waiting to get registered[?]

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Confusing one this, wouldnt like to say either way about your car dubbers, given its age I would have expected it to be at least switchable like MikeP says. I am surprised and confused how it has not got QG1 as the code.

As for the dealer setting it at the last service, I have no idea either, cos that totally contradicts your QG2 code.

sorry mate, hope someone else can help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had nee idea about the QG1 code - this forum is CLASS! Just checked and mine is QG1 (it's a 52 plate), which is handy as I wanted to get it set up for VSI. Is there anything folks on this forum don't know??

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Foxy. I know you've sold the 130, what have you got/what're you going for now? I'm v tempted by the A3 Sportback but it'd feel bad to leave the Dub side [;)]

·
Registered
646 Posts
My TDI 130 2002 was an import and ran the QG1 longlife. This did take some fighting to get done by VW as it was still new at the time.

Most import (parallel) cars are set to VSI as Europe had this a couple of years before us monkeys had it rolled out.

Go to different dealer mate.

NETDI only real difference moving to VSI is that you have to use more expensive spec designed oil, and can run to 30K miles (in theory) between services [:)]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts