Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a 'How too' Guide on delocking our cars?

I now have the 'kit' comprising if 2x cast alloy blank locks and 2x plastic, primered covers and the 2 part paint spray and lacker.

I have heard lots re: silicon and 5pence peices etc but dont know where they fit in the equation!!

Please someone put me out of my misery and put me in the picture!![:D]

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Me too I have the bits but haven't started yet due to conflicting reports (with photos if poss)

I was going to do one this weekend but got rather drunk on Saturday and spent all day sunday in bed feeling sorry for myself. I now get 2 day hangovers must be getting old.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm interested in doing this mod. How much for all the parts and as the others have said anyone got a good guide for doing this?

Part Numbers anyone?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far 2.50 each for the cast alloy dummy locks plus 1.92 each for the colour coded covers and whatever for the paint! total for me was £15.55 inc Vat!! so not much for the gains it could mean!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Guys, i did the delock the other week and it is dead easy. To remove the locks, take off the plastic cap on the inside edge of the door and then insert a torx 20 screw driver into the hole and fit into the screw. Turn anti-clockwise 6 or 7 times untill you feel resistance then pull the door handle to the open position and romove the lock and it's cover. Insert the new dummy lock with it's cover in place, and tighten the tork back up. Replace the black cap and bobs yer uncle.

hope this helps.

Post anymore questions and i'll keep my eyes on this topic! [:D]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Carlos, I read your reply to my post at 10 past 3 this afternoon and 5 minutes later viola!!!

Done!!

Really is that easy....just got to wait for the caps to dry and they will go on too!

Cheers mate

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
No silly cones for me. [:D]

i just did as my post said. no disk thingy.

No worries Hoofingbloke, nice to put a little bit back into the forum!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Careful not to screw the torx bit to far or it will drop the retaining clip inside the door and you will not be able to secure the replacement lock.

And its a bigger job to get into the insides of the door.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Otto

Careful not to screw the torx bit to far or it will drop the retaining clip inside the door and you will not be able to secure the replacement lock.

And its a bigger job to get into the insides of the door.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT FORGET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm sure this has been posted before but what are the part numbers needed? I have a 5dr but the lock only shows on the drivers door.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
TDI till I die - not sure about the boot, it's a different kettle of fish.

Part numbers, one of each per side!

3B4 839 167 - Housing

3B4 839 879 A - Cap GRU primed

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can someone PM me with why the little disks are needed please? I think I know, but would just like someone who has done the delocking mod to confirm.

Thanks

Jeffers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can someone also PM me with the same as I don't know what they are for or if I need them? There seems to be mixed opinions on this.

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
Wow I've just ordered said parts from Wayside Towcester and the guy on the end of the phone was very helpful. So I'll be up and running by tuesday.

I may even make this my first official "how to" on my new website so any further details from you experienced chaps would be appreciated!

·
Registered
766 Posts
3B4 839 167 - Housing

3B4 839 879 A - Cap GRU primed

do you get the metal discs when you order with the numbers above?? and where do they fit?

what about painting the caps do you get the paint from vw?

·
Registered
961 Posts
i just got he paint from vw and the said parts listed above.can some one do a how to or pm so i know what to do and what other parts i may need.cheers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts