Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Makes me laugh - I've watched my neighbours go out and scrub their windscreens with a scraper and use de-icer with lots of effort, the last week.

In the mornings me and my lass go out together and I'm armed with a 1.5 litre bottle of luke warm water (almost cold - but warmer than the water that comes through your cold tap at first on these cold mornings). She fires the car and I spend 5 seconds pouring the contents over the frozen areas... job done..... '0' effort!
S

·
Registered
690 Posts
Makes me laugh - I've watched my neighbours go out and scrub their windscreens with a scraper and use de-icer with lots of effort, the last week. In the mornings me and my lass go out together and I'm armed with a 1.5 litre bottle of luke warm water (almost cold - but warmer than the water that comes through your cold tap at first on these cold mornings). She fires the car and I spend 5 seconds pouring the contents over the frozen areas... job done..... '0' effort! S
Then you realise you forgot your wallet and nip back in to find it. After 5 min you get back out and your car is frozen again. [:p]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've a garage that allows you to open your doors and get out? Unfortunately mines a new build - so a little narrow for my liking..... so shes on the drive for the cats to play with!
s

·
Registered
641 Posts
Makes me laugh - I've watched my neighbours go out and scrub their windscreens with a scraper and use de-icer with lots of effort, the last week. In the mornings me and my lass go out together and I'm armed with a 1.5 litre bottle of luke warm water (almost cold - but warmer than the water that comes through your cold tap at first on these cold mornings). She fires the car and I spend 5 seconds pouring the contents over the frozen areas... job done..... '0' effort! S
LOL.

Exactly what I do. Start car up, bottle of water over side windows and front screen, job done. Can't be bothered with all this scraping and spraying lark.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Or if your lazzy like me and you can't get the car in the garage, then get an old bed sheet and use the wipers to hold it down, takes 3 seconds to take off and if you've had it over the wing mirrors then they won't be frozen either! Plus it stops the doors freezing shut[:p]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pretty sure it states in the handbook not to do that, could crack the windscreen. Even though I doubt it myself (seeing as the windscreen glass is pretty tough) I still wouldn't do it seeing as VW don't recommend it.

By the way, if that makes you laugh then you have a very weird sense of humour. [*-)]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard stories of people pouring boiling water over their frozen screens in the morning, and then wondering why the screen has just exploded!

I'm sure VW (and every other manu') recommend not to do this, but am sure it's ok if you just use your common sense! Wouldn't do it to my own otherwise.... and my sense of humour is pretty messed up btw.
s

·
Registered
383 Posts
Makes me cringe when i see people pouring hot water over the windows, its all to do with rates of expansion and thermo dynamics, but basically the glass expands only where the hot water is poured over it but the rest of the glass stays still = big crack. For the sake of a few minutes with the engine running its not worth the hassle of having a new window fitted.

I've seen a side window explode, was quite funny. The bloke stood there pouring water into his car for a few seconds before he realised what had happened![:D]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Makes me cringe when i see people pouring hot water over the windows, its all to do with rates of expansion and thermo dynamics, but basically the glass expands only where the hot water is poured over it but the rest of the glass stays still = big crack. For the sake of a few minutes with the engine running its not worth the hassle of having a new window fitted.

I've seen a side window explode, was quite funny. The bloke stood there pouring water into his car for a few seconds before he realised what had happened![:D]
DOH!!!

I would have laughed my ass off if i'd seen that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
or get a pre-heater system. tgether with a cloth over the window, I
come out to work at 4.30 am (yes that early), take the cloth off, start
the engine, due to the preheater, instant warm air to warm the
windscreen/car etc. Quick nip round with the scrapper for the side
windows and back (partially melted now due to heated rear window) and
thats it. lovely warm car within minutes which in turn keeeps the
windows clear. Less risky than the hot water which can soon cool down
and refreeze if your not carefull.

Furter to the windows freezing over, beware of the door seals getting
stuck and being ipped off as you open the door! (silicon on the seals
stops that)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
what is a preheater? i know what its like going to work at 4.30...that what i do. except i walk to work now instead of driving

i think with water that is only a little above hose water then it shouldn't crack

and then as soon as you get in car you could spray wiper fluid which would stop it re-freezing

·
Registered
383 Posts
The pre heater is ( depending on what you've got) either a factory fit (don't know if vw do it yet) which is built into the cooling sysatem of the car and plugs into the mains etc and just warm up the coolant and also helps the engine start, really usefull if you live where it's -40c. Or a dashboard mounted thing that plugs into the ciggy lighter, think they're a ceramic and heat instanly.

I've got 70/30 mix in my screen wash, so it don't freeze if i have to use it, plus it de ices the screen if it starts to ice up due to mist/fog. Plus it clears your nose too!! screen wash fumes[:p]

So who else gets up and goes to work at stupido o'clock? i'm out of the door at 4:30am too, no ice this morning!![:D] But everything froze around 6am though!![:(]

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I used to work in the motor trade I used to deal with a lot of guys from various windscreen repairers and the amount of stories they used to tell us about people who they have helped after they'd poured boiling hot water straight on their windscreens. It amazes me that people can be so simple at times...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Also, due to latent heat (thermodynamics) warm water will freeze much
quicker than cold water. It's down to the amount of heat and the speed
of which it is being lost.

Use cold water or a scraper! I don't like de-icer as it strips wax and still freezes over as you drive down the road.

·
Registered
354 Posts
On the topic of ice my mums Polo's doors seals always freeze making it
nearly impossible for the doors to be open without ripping the handle
off.

Any suggestions apart from spraying de-icer around the seal??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts