Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get one apart from the Megan Racing ones that appear on eBay and dont fit right (without a lot of work)? Does anyone make a true bolt on decat downpipe? What about custom exhaust places, how much would it cost roughly to get one made up?

Cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mine fitted perfectly, apart from needing to bend the heatshield slightly but to be expected as it is a bigger diameter bore.

Highly recommended by me also very good quality[:D]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
8Ball what engine code is your Golf?

No prices on that website, any idea on price of the supersprint decat?

Cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mines is an AGU so it didnt affect the warning light as it only uses
the post cat sensor, i was looking for ages and couldnt find one, well
not to long. As i had the urge to decat so ebay to the rescue.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's 2 AGU owners now who say it fits ok with only minor modification to the heatshield required, but I recall seeing an AUM owner post that he had a lot more trouble.  Are there any other AUM owners out there who have experiences with the Megan Racing decat?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
That's 2 AGU owners now who say it fits ok with only minor modification to the heatshield required, but I recall seeing an AUM owner post that he had a lot more trouble. Are there any other AUM owners out there who have experiences with the Megan Racing decat?
Depends if you want to have a permanent CEL on mate, even on my car with a sports cat it still comes on.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Nah not when ive run my car with it on. It just throws a code which eventually leads to a CEL. I don't like it though as everytime it comes on now i think 'oh it'll be the sports cat, keep on driving' whereas one day it might be something more serious and i'll do the car damage. Hopefully with my next remap the software will be able to delete a CEL for that code.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeh that's what I was thinking earlier, CEL being constantly on means you would just ignore it when there's something potentially more serious wrong. Does it flame? [:D]

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's 2 AGU owners now who say it fits ok with only minor modification to the heatshield required, but I recall seeing an AUM owner post that he had a lot more trouble. Are there any other AUM owners out there who have experiences with the Megan Racing decat?
It was me..[:p].....I had to do a fair bit of "Fiddling" to get mine right.....(had the whole exhaust off three times,full milltek)...but as stated then.......its more than worth the trouble and effort..[:D]....mine throws a CEL constantly.[N]....but that will be sorted when I get it re-mapped by MRC. [Y]

I have to disagree on the build quailty front......the Megan Racing stuff is spot on IMO....(at the time I ordered my De-cat a mate ordered a 4 branch + De-cat for his Honda the quailty off all items was exceptional)......the welds and overall finish are FAR FAR better than Milltek or Supersport and how many peeps on here have had issues with Millteks???.....ans: ..LOADS..

It really depends on how picky you wanna be..[8-|]...I modded the De-cat pipe itself by putting a nice kink in it to clear the front subframe..(had to do the Milltek in the same way at the back as well to clear the beam)...and its also fully lagged with Exhaust wrap to make it less boomy above 3,000rpm (keeps temp down big style too) [8-|][8-|]

My only advice would be if you don`t know somewhere that`ll MOT the car without the cat on....then be prepared to go through the removal/fitting every year.......that could be the only pain at the end of the day.......

HTH

Nick

·
Registered
76 Posts
A custom remap can get rid of the error code for the de cat.

It is worth ditching the precats - you'll still pass the MOT and you get a lot less backpressure right at the turbo exit.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A custom remap can get rid of the error code for the de cat.

It is worth ditching the precats - you'll still pass the MOT and you get a lot less backpressure right at the turbo exit.
Hi Doug......By "Precat" do you mean the precat sensor????? Im guessing you mean the Cat its self tho yeah????.....[*-)]

Also mate you reckon its still poss to pass MOT without the cat?........are the emissions pretty good on the 20V then??? (suppose the charger keeps em pretty LOW)

Hows things going at Banbury....all settled in....[:D]

Nick

·
Registered
76 Posts
Some cars have 2 cats - a precat is a small cat that is very close the turbo. It heats up a lot quicker because it is small and close to the turbo - this is for EU regs for cars to have low emissions on cold startup - this is never tested in the UK so you don't need them to pass the MOT. It is not good to have that heat source and restriction immediatley after the turbo if you want to get power out of the car. You will have to have a cat to pass an MOT - no way around that.

(settled into the workshop now - come and see us! http://www.mrctuning.com/contact.php )

·
Registered
398 Posts
Cheers Doug.......learn something new everyday......was totally un-aware about the "precat" thing.........all being well I should have a contact for a De-Cat freindly MOT......so that won`t cause me any probs......[;)]....

Yeah am def gonna pop in somewhen when im passing to say hi.........[:D]

good luck,

Nick

·
Registered
219 Posts
by doin a decat or replacing it for a sports one .. does it make the car sound more raspy ??? coz thats summin i dont want .. even if it does release another 30bhp

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
by doin a decat or replacing it for a sports one
.. does it make the car sound more raspy ??? coz thats summin i dont
want .. even if it does release another 30bhp
It will add a wee bit more whistle and bark to the car, but it will never add 30bhp, not on the standard turbo anyway.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
the one i bought mate was off ebay from the states yes... cheap!! and now i know why. the flaxi pipe went on it within 6 months that cost me ?90 to be fixed and the lad who now owns it has just SNAPPED it at the welds [:(] so now he has had a custom DP made up. so all in all it cost me ?210 and now my mate has just had to buy a new one. so you could have a nice miltek piece for that. the theiry is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts