Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Audi A3 TDi sport 130, I think the pipe should be much the same as the golf?

Just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to the Miltek de-cat?

I can de-cat my car myself, just getting to a lift and welder is a little difficult at the moment so would prefer an off the shelf pipe.

The Miltek prices are a little extreme for me, just wondering if there is a cheaper Mild steel alternative?

Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just go to a local garage and ask him how much to fit a pipe there, try going to a tyres and exhaust garage.

Make sure you dont let him keep the cat because if its genuine then you will be able to sell it at a breakers !! [Y]

·
Registered
655 Posts
is there any difference in performance etc? i just dont understand why some sell de cat pipes for over 100, when you can weld a stainless steel pipe instead of the cat? does the exhaust note increase at all?

oh and what do the original cat's go for at breakers?! heared that they go for a decent price...!?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
is there any difference in performance etc? i just dont understand why some sell de cat pipes for over 100, when you can weld a stainless steel pipe instead of the cat? does the exhaust note increase at all?

oh and what do the original cat's go for at breakers?! heared that they go for a decent price...!?
Dont take a cat to a breakers, take it to a metal scrap yard. Got £45 for a small cat off a friend's 106 last week, and £65 for one a month ago.

The reason it cost so much for a proper de-cat is because people will pay that, and because a piece of stainless welded in is not technically reversable if you want to de-mod, however having a replacement pipe allows you to remove the de-cat whenever you want.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
i've just had a decat on mine, picks up quicker,

most garages can/could make up one for around £160 from what i've been told by the garages but i've got a stainless system so bit louder than stock but well worth decating at least

Ian

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just decatted mine a few days ago, take it to a garage they done mine for £40 plus i still have the cat to sell so it might pay for itself :)

JT

·
i love to ski, its so relaxing
2,365 Posts
Just decatted mine a few days ago, take it to a garage they done mine for £40 plus i still have the cat to sell so it might pay for itself :)

JT
will they pull it up on the MOT?

·
Registered
596 Posts

JT
I THINK it should be ok for emissions but might not be so good for the smoke test, i'vw always been ok with mot's so its alright lol

·
Registered
3,437 Posts

JT
A diesel does not need a Cat for the MOT, however a Petrol wil fail if not fitted with one.

If a TDI fails an mot on emissions (well, smoke, as thats all that is tested) then the tester can reccommend a cat is fitted before it will pass.

·
Registered
655 Posts
im going to go down the stainless pipe route and luckily theres a metal scrappy near me so hopefully itll pay for itself. ill let you know how much i get for my cat [Y]

·
Registered
230 Posts
Whats the point in going down the stainless pipe route when your selling the cat.. just get one welded in. then it will cost you nothing !

·
Registered
655 Posts
yeah that what i meant, weld a stainless steel pipe instead of the cat and sell the cat. im not planning to de-mod my car anyway

·
Registered
157 Posts
the hot tuning de-cat pipes look very well constructed welds are great and cheaper than any other aftermarket brands. im going for one of these soon

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
the hot tuning de-cat pipes look very well constructed welds are great and cheaper than any other aftermarket brands. im going for one of these soon
Ive had the Hottuning one on mine for a number of years and cant fault it. with decat and EGR delete my exhaust emisions (smoke)were better than the standard car!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts