Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,875 Posts
Somebody show the legislation that states it is only the emmisions that are important again... the only law abot the cat was that it had to be fitted to all new cars by law after 1992 I think. (But that was just to control emmisions.)

admittedly there are gonna be some MOT testing stations that push it, to try and lmake life difficult... get friendly with one!!![:D]

· Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Mr Benn on 10/12/2004 15:46:30

AFAIK, there is no law about having to have a CAT. The maximum emissions that the engine is allowed to produce is determined by the year that the car was homologated. I don't think any manufacturer has been able to meet the emission requirements without having a Cat fitted. These are a considerable expense to the manufacturer and they wouldn't fit them if they didn't have to. I think if you had a car from the early 90s then you could get away with no Cat if you could just run the engine lean at idle. It wouldn't make any CO or HC, just NOx which they don't test for on that age car. They do test for it no and I don't think you could meet the requirement without a Cat but you could certainly try. Some friendly MOT test places may allow you to drive around for a bit to get the engine hotter if you think that will help.

I honestly think you will be surprised... I have a number of friends who have been through this, with modern cars varying from Saxo VTS's through to 6 cylinder Beemers. All past the emissions tests...! The modern engine is pretty damn efficient methinks... Am hoping I will get away with it myself soon. [:D]

· Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by vedhead on 11/12/2004 21:08:32

If you dont have a CAT you wont pass an MOT.

There is no law or legislation that says you have to have one on... it's just emmission levels. Are you diagreeing with that, or are you just saying you don't think the emmision levels will be low enough?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.