Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
I still have my cat with my milltek cat back and was in for my MOT last Saturday (at my friendly MOT tester). In years gone by I had often been let off the emissions test all together if the computer didn't start etc but this year was different. He had a new more accurate computer to do the testing and mine had to be done three times (with long runs in between to get the cat hotter) before it passed. There was an issue with the lambda emissions and I eventually got it within .004 of the acceptable limit. Was told that my cat was probably on the way out. I can't see how I would have passed without a cat though, but I'm no expert...

· Registered
100 Posts
Blaze,

It was measured for three things: CO, HC and Lambda. I have no idea what Lambda is (I know there is a Lmabda probe on the car). CO was a % and HC was measured in ppm (parts per million) but there was no quantity measurement for Lambda. I haven't got the printout with me but I was going to find out what this was all about.

I can't find any useful information on any government website. This explains what is tested but not what Lambda is...

(I know that if I took my car to a stealers for the MOT it would have cost me a lot of money as they would have failed me first time)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.