Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new person here!! I'm actually a member with golfmkv.com under the same username. Any way!

I'm thinking of taking the 1.6 FSI off the back of my Golf. I was wondering how the hell do you do it? I've heard different kinds of stories and i just want to know what you guys have done if you have done it? What's the best way to do it? Any one know of any detailed instructions for this?

Andy

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I just used some boiled water from the kettle! Used a flat headed screwdriver, and wrapped some cloth around it and the letter pealed off a treat! did the job really well! didnt need to get the extension lead out for the hair dryer. Then, just polished off the remaining sticky residue! [Y]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers. That helps alot. Although I've just got this funny feeling i'm going to mess it up. Like scratch the paint work!!

Might have a bash at it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Andy,

This is dead easy and as long as you don't use the screwdriver method you can not damage anything! I would recommend warming the badges with a hairdryer then get a good long bit of dental tape / floss wrap the ends round each hand and slide the middle bit under each letter. They will come of with no problem at all.

To get rid of hte residue you can try rubbing with your thumbnail (laborious) or try nail varnish remover (easier but might damage paint?) or try a micro-fibre cloth and soapy water. Those things shift almost anything!

Then polish, stand back, crack opne that beer in your right hand and admire the results of your rubbing...

Regards,

fM

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Andy,

This is dead easy and as long as you don't use the screwdriver method you can not damage anything! I would recommend warming the badges with a hairdryer then get a good long bit of dental tape / floss wrap the ends round each hand and slide the middle bit under each letter. They will come of with no problem at all.

To get rid of hte residue you can try rubbing with your thumbnail (laborious) or try nail varnish remover (easier but might damage paint?) or try a micro-fibre cloth and soapy water. Those things shift almost anything!

Then polish, stand back, crack opne that beer in your right hand and admire the results of your rubbing...

Regards,

fM
You'd have to expect me to chime in here on this topic, wouldn't you? I'm naive and old, I know, but why does one want to de-badge one's car. Are people ashamed of the model they've bought or have they tuned/souped it up and want to surprise others who may own this particular lowly model and thus give them a surprise at its superior performance with which they have endowed it.

I remain mystified.

[:)]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Andy,

Regards,

fM
You'd have to expect me to chime in here on this topic, wouldn't you? I'm naive and old, I know, but why does one want to de-badge one's car. Are people ashamed of the model they've bought or have they tuned/souped it up and want to surprise others who may own this particular lowly model and thus give them a surprise at its superior performance with which they have endowed it.

I remain mystified.

I think it just goes with the unobvious understated euro-look. So probably the latter of what you said.

I also want to add that I keep reading this topic title as de-badgering! Conjours up all kinds of images. [;)]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Removing badges does give a cleaner 'look' to the car. Really, what is the point of having a badge that tells you what type of engine is under the bonnet, stuck to the tailgate. When you think about it its daft. Things were even worse in the early 90's when manufacturers put all sorts of badges such as ABS in addition to the engine badge. It would make more sense if the engine badge was actually stuck to the bonnet.

Perhaps badges on the tailgate should be interchangeable (like fridge magnets) and say 'shopping' or 'garden rubbish' etc, at least they would then have some relevence!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Andy,

How did you get on?

Perhaps badges on the tailgate should be interchangeable (like fridge magnets) and say 'shopping' or 'garden rubbish' etc, at least they would then have some relevence!
LOL or "Dismembered Corpse", "1/2 Ton of Columbian Marching Powder", "Mother-in-Law" or.... if you are George Reynolds.... "£1/2m"

·
Registered
123 Posts
I took mine off for 3 reasons:

1) difficult to clean in between the letters and I was sick of polish getting stuck in there,

2) clean look to the tailgate,

3) "Less is More" to quote Mies Van Der Rohe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Andy,

Regards,

fM

I remain mystified.

Blimey, there's allways one.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Andy,

Regards,

fM

I remain mystified.

Blimey, there's allways one.
I take it then, that you would also remove the GTi badge from the said car as well? Just where would you draw the line and from which models would you remove the badgeing?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yep, if you want a clean look then it dont matter what the badge is, remove it, it makes the rear end look wider and cleaner.

I think badges are stupid and look ugly, i also hate the way new cars have moulded areas for number plates, thats just plain wrong.

·
Registered
188 Posts
what is it with this Marvin bloke, I've read a few posts he's been involved and its like he's always looking for an argument
Have a look at his website on his profile, very interesting reading, I think it answers "what is it with Marvin" [;)]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
back to the topic!!

dental floss to cut the letters off - took less than 5 mins. Then I tried hair dryer, mer, plastic scraper but the only thing that worked was isoproponal spray (electrical alcohol spray in a can). prob not very good for the paint but otherwise I'd still be there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts