Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an enjoyable day with DMS Automotive at their premises in Andover, Herts, with Neil Birkitt, as some of you will know the Editor of Volkswagen Driver Magazine.

The purpose of the visit was to test thier new Dual System Module, a new OBD software upgrade developed for the 1.8T and PD engines in VW, Seat, and Skoda applications. This is alongside similar work on Porches, Range Rovers and BMW M3s.

The Upgrade only took just over half an hour, and was specifically matched to the standard program, which differs on the same model of car as VW develop software. The upgrade was photographed and is in next months issue of Volkswagen Driver Magazine. A big thanks to Neil Birkitt and The staff at DMS for a belting day and of couse, for the free remap (yes Beddie, free!)

The car has seen an increase to 185bhp, and a healthy torque increase,(I'll find out to what in a bit) and has transformed the car without the penalty of a massive loss of economy. Check out thier website, or give they a call.

DMS is at

Unit 11 Anton Business Park,

Anton Mill Road,

Andover

Hants SP10 2NX

Tel: 0845 860 1845

www.dmsautomotive.com

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Standard BHP DMS BHP

100 TDI to 130

115 to 148

130 to 172

150 to 185

150 1.8T to 190

180 to 210

I can't figue the torque figues out on the table I got off 'em!, but its safe to say you get a wedge more!

Gaz

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
excuse my ignorance of teminology, but do I understand it to be a serial port remap, rather than a soldered ECU jobby [?]. Is it switchable between stock and re-mapped configurations [?].

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it is a serial port remap, and you can switch easily from standard to modified. And the program you use as standard is the actual one from the factory, not their version of it, as is the case with Revo.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nice one Gary.

I've got a DMS serial port map in my 150pd and it is fantastic. Torque wise you should have about 280-290lbs/ft.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote: posted by Gary Cundliffe on 27/08/2004 14:18:33

you can switch easily from standard to modified. And the program you use as standard is the actual one from the factory, not their version of it

Sounds good, can I ask how it is switched, does it use a device similar to the Revo SPS, if so, is it included in the price [?].

Thanks for the info Gary. Glad you had a good day and are pleased with the results / performance.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 27/08/2004 15:39:43

Quote: posted by Gary Cundliffe on 27/08/2004 14:18:33

you can switch easily from standard to modified. And the program you use as standard is the actual one from the factory, not their version of it

Sounds good, can I ask how it is switched, does it use a device similar to the Revo SPS, if so, is it included in the price [?].

Thanks for the info Gary. Glad you had a good day and are pleased with the results / performance.

The switching device used is very similiar to the AMD 'one-click'/Revo sps type, just plugs into the OBD port, press a button and wait for an led to come on and your in modified map, do the same procedure to revert to standard, and yes the switching unit is included in the price [:D]

Gary should be round mine later for 'performance evaluation puposes', i'll let everyone know how it performs....[:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by Gary Cundliffe on 30/08/2004 12:30:04

I think i can say steve was suitably impressed after testing the Golf out on saturday!

Im looking forward to our next convoy to a meet now [:D]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Quote: posted by Gary Cundliffe on 30/08/2004 12:30:04

I think i can say steve was suitably impressed after testing the Golf out on saturday!

It was alright i suppose........ [;)]

Seriously though, it's made a hell of a difference to gaz's car, just as smooth and well mannered to drive as standard for when your just cruising about, get your toe down and it's a different matter altogther!....

The increase in torque is very noticeable with 2nd gear especially brutal, 3rd is a treat for immediate overtakes with 4th just right for seeing off BM's etc. on the motorway! [:D]

The car now has an almost petrol engine like hunger for revs and will rev to the redline easily without 'dying off' like the standard map, the best bit is despite both Gary and myself's best efforts during 'performance testing' on our private test track, we still got 50.2MPG, talk about having your cake and eating it!! [^]

Only fault i could find with the system is that it so impressed me, that i now NEED this or some other remap on my car, my poor visa card...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there Gary sounds like an excellent day and a nice new product. I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while. How are you finding the car drives with the new map? Have you used it to swap between the programs very often and how easy is it to do?

My only concern is what if the device crashes out half way through a re-rap with an error code etc resulting in corrupted flash and possibly a knackered ECU! I've heard about several horror stories with the AMD OneClick device and AMD having to travel the country to repair Golf TDI's with corrupted ECU's. I think the DMS Unit is a update version of the AMD unit with built in error checking etc do you know anymore about that?

Also do you know what issue of VW Driver the DMS article is in?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Yea I pickd up the mag in smiths yesterday, sounds quite good, cant remember seeing how much it costs though[?]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts