Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Golf 1.6SE I have a horizontal rubber-lined storage tray in the centre of the dash. Is this easy to remove? I see that on removing the rubber inlay, there are two torx bolts which I presume hold the tray in place. Are there any nasty surprises if one just unscrews these etc. What is underneath this tray?

My tray generates a squeaky noise depending on temperature etc. and was thinking of removing it, on a temporary basis, to see what difference it makes and then replacing it with some packing in the right places!

[8-|]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
People have described removing those bits (or maybe on a car with climate which is slightly different there) to get access to remove and replace the stereo unit. I wouldn't therefore think it would be a problem - don't blame me though [:$]

Mine doesn't squeak but something (probably airvents) make a quiet cracking noise when either very warm or cold air goes through them - doesn't bother me though.

Please post how you get on.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People have described removing those bits (or maybe on a car with climate which is slightly different there) to get access to remove and replace the stereo unit. I wouldn't therefore think it would be a problem - don't blame me though [:$]

Mine doesn't squeak but something (probably airvents) make a quiet cracking noise when either very warm or cold air goes through them - doesn't bother me though.

Please post how you get on.
Thanks for the information. Will keep you informed. However, I did see somewhere on this forums useful pictures of centre top air vent removed (on appropriate model where my tray is replaced with a vent etc) in connection with a 'help' feature but for the life of me can't remember what it was in connection with.

I have spent quite a lot of time searching the forums but in vain. I know that there was a picture with the top air vent removed leaving control knob and some securing brackets!

[:cool:]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you take the cover off yet Marvin, how did it go?

Is the rubber mat glued on or anything?
A quick explanation first. I lost my self-confidence several years ago and often get anxious doing, sometimes, the simplest of operations and was therefore nervous, cocking things up.

However, I removed the rubber insert mat by levering out with a thin-bladed implement and was presented with two torx headed 'bolts'. I loosened these but was worried (there's a surprise) that I might not get them back if they came out completely . (The position of the tray is rather awkwardly positioned and it is not very easy to see what you are doing and it plays havoc with my back leaning forward as I have to).

Obviously, their removal would allow the tray to come out completely and this is something I must aim to achieve in due course. Anyway, I wiggled the loosened tray and squirted various liquids here and there and screwed back the bolts but not so tightly this time and so far the 'noise' seems a lot better.

Will keep you up to date on my pathetic antics.

[:$]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

A quick explanation first. I lost my self-confidence several years ago and often get anxious doing, sometimes, the simplest of operations and was therefore nervous, cocking things up.

However, I removed the rubber insert mat by levering out with a thin-bladed implement and was presented with two torx headed 'bolts'. I loosened these but was worried (there's a surprise) that I might not get them back if they came out completely . (The position of the tray is rather awkwardly positioned and it is not very easy to see what you are doing and it plays havoc with my back leaning forward as I have to).

Obviously, their removal would allow the tray to come out completely and this is something I must aim to achieve in due course. Anyway, I wiggled the loosened tray and squirted various liquids here and there and screwed back the bolts but not so tightly this time and so far the 'noise' seems a lot better.

Marvin are you the paranoid android who is starring in the Hitchikers Guide?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Marvin are you the paranoid android who is starring in the Hitchikers Guide?
Damn it! My cover's been broken. And me with with the brain the size of a planet - Oh dear!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Damn it! My cover's been broken. And me with with the brain the size of a planet - Oh dear!
[:O] What you broke it, how did you manage that.
Come on Marvin - tell us more please?

I sometimes get a buzz from the dash and it sounds like it is in there underneath the cover. It only happens if the car is sitting around or passing through 2k revs.

I may take a look but not if I'm going to break anything [:$]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I sometimes get a buzz from the dash and it sounds like it is in there underneath the cover. It only happens if the car is sitting around or passing through 2k revs.

Come on! Don't pester me as I'm still practising. I removed one screw yesterday and then replaced it. Today I may well take out both screws and then see whether the insert tray comes out easily.

Yesterday on a trip the squeaking come on after about twenty miles or so and may have been a result of some bad road surfaces or the fact that the late morning sun was concentrated on that area.

Oh, by the way, I realise that some of you are taking the p*** out of my entry regarding my "My cover's been broken" etc.[:D][:D][8-|]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Come on! Don't pester me as I'm still practising. I removed one screw yesterday and then replaced it. Today I may well take out both screws and then see whether the insert tray comes out easily.

Yesterday, on a trip, the squeaking came on after about twenty miles or so and may have been a result of some bad road surfaces or the fact that the late morning sun was concentrated on that area thus causing expansion of some plastic parts.

Oh, by the way, I realise that some of you are taking the p*** out of my entry regarding my "My cover's been broken" etc.[:D][:D][8-|]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go for it Marvin.

I'm certain that the cover will lift right off no problem and go straight back on.
No. Not mine, it won't. Two recessed self-tappers with washers removed and slight coercing all around the edge and it will not budge. Very awkward position as I had the passenger seat as far as I could comfortably go and eventually gave up having first spayed some more silicone spray under the thin peripheral lip - a fragile one, at that and one that would not take too much prising with my thin-bladed tool.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I took mine out yesterday to change the radio. Did not like the installation of my Sony with the fascia adaopter so I put the VW radio back in-much better. Plan to change the speakers as the radio is made by Blaupunkt. One problem I had was when I was removing the vent grill bit of the dash, one of the little parts that guide the vent slats came adrift and it proberbly fell into behind the dash. I will need to go to a breakers yard to get a replacment grill or the dealer. it is only a little curved bit of plastic but it is important. I do not have AC in my car so I just have the tray thingy-it took a while to figure out how to remove it but once it was out the dash just unclipped.

As for getting the tray out-it will come out -it just needs to be pulled backwards at back and then slide in a flat bladed screw driver at the edge and gently lever-the clips then come undone. There is a single screw holding in the vent grill/dash assembly so take that out. be careful as you take the dash out as -well it will all fall apart and you will lose vent grill parts like I did.

Go on Marvi-brave and crazy-you can't sit in the train station all your life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.