Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've detected a rattle behind my dash, somewhere around the airvent/light switch on the drivers side.

It gets more frequent/prominent when driving on rough surfaces, though has a ticking sound to it, a bit like a relay. Have checked the fuse box/cover and that all seems solid.

My dealer won't even come out to the car to listen to it, they want it booked in on ?90/hour.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Good fun it is tracing and stopping rattles and squeaks.

I had one in that area and it was the lower dash panel, the panel below the steering wheel that runs across which starts directly below the light switch area. No idea why it did it but it was also of a sort of clicking noise.

When your driving, push it in with your knee or hand and see if it stops?

I cured mine by removing the panel and then wedged in loads of foam when refitting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion - I've checked and thats not it.

Its behind the dash, either electrical clicking or something rattling quickly.

To make matters worse I've found two more loose panels and the handle for putting driver seat forward came off in my hand today. [:mad:]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not behind the dash afterall.

I took fuse panel off and rev'd the engine with my ear next to the fuses, and the noise came from either the engine bay or under the wing.

Opened the bonnet and rev'd again, and it was gone. open/rev'd/closed bonnet again and it only seems to happen when the bonnet is closed.

Something near the water expansion tank is making a hell of an electrical ticking noise, which occasionally gets much faster then slows down again. Anyone know what it is - i'll try and get a photo.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a rattle from the dash area too. Been trying to trace it for ages now. Could be the fuse box or the lower dash panel. Bloody MkIVs. Rattles all over the place. Just when you solve one, you find another.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
It's not behind the dash afterall.

I took fuse panel off and rev'd the engine with my ear next to the fuses, and the noise came from either the engine bay or under the wing.

Opened the bonnet and rev'd again, and it was gone. open/rev'd/closed bonnet again and it only seems to happen when the bonnet is closed.

Something near the water expansion tank is making a hell of an electrical ticking noise, which occasionally gets much faster then slows down again. Anyone know what it is - i'll try and get a photo.

Cheers,

Dan
i got this noise aswell really load sounds like its comin from just behind the bulk head.

and as for the ticking in the engine bay its got something to do with the exhaust gases or summit...some recirculating gas tank thingy lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a similar rattle on mine - it stopped when the bonnet was open. Turned out to be that one of the bolts hoding the black plastic panel that runs across the front of the car above the radiator grille (slam panel?) was loose. The bolt was just behind the driver's side headlight.

Hope that cures yours.

Rick.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have one that comes from somewhere on the left hand side of the car -
sometimes it sounds like it's the passenger seat, sometimes the
passenger door, sometimes the rear passenger door and sometimes from
the boot area (back left corner) [;)] Very annoying, sounds like a
ticking but gets faster the faster you drive so I'm assuming it's
something rattling as a result of engine vibration.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got rattles too - stealers sorted one and yep caused another - Arrrh

Me thinks this subject will be a long one!!

Can't beleive the dealer wouldn't even have a look for less than ?90 thats terrible - try another dealer m8.

I bought my first mk4 from one dealer and as a result of just that sort of thing I started using another local dealer still VW I may add and now I couldn't be happer with them but of course they will always be 'stealers'

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have one that comes from somewhere on the left hand side of the car - sometimes it sounds like it's the passenger seat, sometimes the passenger door, sometimes the rear passenger door and sometimes from the boot area (back left corner) [;)] Very annoying, sounds like a ticking but gets faster the faster you drive so I'm assuming it's something rattling as a result of engine vibration.....
sounds like a classic...... u have a mouse with a bomb in the passenger side of your car mate.........lol :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have one that comes from
somewhere on the left hand side of the car - sometimes it sounds like
it's the passenger seat, sometimes the passenger door, sometimes the
rear passenger door and sometimes from the boot area (back left corner)
[;)] Very annoying, sounds like a ticking but gets faster the faster
you drive so I'm assuming it's something rattling as a result of engine
vibration.....
sounds like a classic...... u have a mouse with a bomb in the passenger side of your car mate.........lol :D
I just got back from a 100 mile round trip on the motorway and have
decided that I'm gonna have to pull off the passenger doors (front and
rear) panels and rear tailgate panel to try and trace this rattle.....
it's really, really annoying now!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
just sorted my rattle (really pissed me off lol) it sounded like it was behind the airvent and found out on here it could have came from the front of the engine bay so i found it. just behind the drivers light under a plastic cover a full on loose nut. now im happy. mad how it sounded like it came from the dash....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've just noticed today a rattle coming from the drivers side airvent/ fuse panel cover area. I've also got a hinge on the drivers door that is loose or so im told. I'll have a look under the bonnet like you guys suggest and see how things go.

cheers

Rob

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've just noticed today a rattle coming from the drivers side airvent/ fuse panel cover area. I've also got a hinge on the drivers door that is loose or so im told. I'll have a look under the bonnet like you guys suggest and see how things go.

cheers

Rob
grab the slam panel and wobble it about thats how i found the little git lol

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
its the part where the headlights sit the pannel where the bonnet locks onto when its shut. long plastic part between the 2 wings.

as you stand infront of the car. in the corner between the wing and the slam pannel on the left hand side there is a small plastic cover with 2 screws.the bolt i found loose was under there... hope that helps mate

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just sorted my rattle (really pissed me off lol) it sounded like it was behind the airvent and found out on here it could have came from the front of the engine bay so i found it. just behind the drivers light under a plastic cover a full on loose nut. now im happy. mad how it sounded like it came from the dash....
Top bloke, I did the same and found that mine had a loose nut too, tightened it and no repeat of the rattle since! Thats been bugging me for 6 months and now I like my car again! Cheers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts