Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of months I have started to get issues with the dash and am struggling to get to the bottom of it.

When accelerating hard the dash seems to crash, the oil light comes on, there is a big stop message, the temp gauge dies to zero, the fuel gauge goes to full, the speedo dies, the clock and odo die and the back light comes on.

If I ignore it and crack on driving the temp warning light will also come on.

Turning the car off all the lights and warnings stay on and I have to disconnect power to clear it.

The problems started occurring after I fitted a different intercooler kit with pipes running down the passenger side now so am wondering if anything has been disturbed.

So far I have..
1. Dropped the sump to double check oil pickup and checked oil pressure whilst running, all ok
2. Double checked connections on sensors, all ok
3. Double checked earths on engine and body
4. Pulled the dash and checked the connections and visually checked circuit boards
5. We have pulled and checked connections to the main ecu.

It seems to be triggered by hard acceleration, hence thinking about the engine being canted over more and something possibly rubbing.

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Zosky92

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could be the pipework is coming into contact with something when accelerating hard due to the engine movement.
That's what I am thinking, just wondering if a common issue

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can't remember now, but I don't think they were relevant to the problem - the car drives as normal so no limp home mode or anything.
Somewhere in the codes there might be a clue as to where it's grounding out, an open circuit code, could help you narrow where to look.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somewhere in the codes there might be a clue as to where it's grounding out, an open circuit code, could help you narrow where to look.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I'll do some more testing and report back

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Passenger side has the cluster ground running down it, pin 7 in the connector (T14a plug) to the right of the battery.

Perhaps IC piping is rubbing on the loom/has crushed it and it's causing a short or has frayed some wires in the loom.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Passenger side has the cluster ground running down it, pin 7 in the connector (T14a plug) to the right of the battery.

Perhaps IC piping is rubbing on the loom/has crushed it and it's causing a short or has frayed some wires in the loom.
Thanks, will do some more digging around there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I have been monitoring this and am not getting any conclusive info.

The dash plays up occasionally on hard acceleration in the higher gears.

I initially get everything except the rev counter stopping and the STOP sign and oil pressure warning which is the followed up a few minutes later with a temperature warning as well.

When I tripped it yesterday I had the following errors:-
18010 - Power supply terminal 30, voltage too low P1602 - 35-10 intermittent

If I power off the car and remove the key the dash continues to flash and occasionally beeps and then at some point I guess the immobiliser kicks in preventing it from starting. The only way to clear it us to disconnect the battery.

I cleared all codes and had it happen again today, the only code on the engine was:-
17521 - Oxygen (Lambda sensor) B1S1: internal resistance too high P1113 -35-10. Intermittent.

Again, clearing the codes doesn't sort the dash so I have to disconnect the battery.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is terminal 30 not the one to the right / under the battery ?? the block connection ?
Not sure, not had time to dig back in to it and the second time that code wasn't thrown.

I run a garage so typically have little time to sort my own toys :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts