Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Das Boot

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  CkB 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have the worst closing boot in the world on their Mk5? Its driving me up the wall and i really have to slam it to get it to close properly. Plus since their is no handle its a right pain if its wet and mucky as trying to slam it using the inside handle results in me hurting my wrists as i have arthritis in them.

bah humbug

#9 ·
Mad, I thought it was just me being a weirdo when I took delivery of mine - I'm suspicious that the weight of hte mk4 boot is less than the mk5 - so whilst a lighter shove works on the mk5 - a bit of muscle is required to get the damn thing shut. Have you noticed as well - opening it, it comes up a lot easier and quicker than a mk4??

(Or is that REALLY me being weird...)

#10 ·
yeah agree i usally try and shut it with the internal handle otherwise i use the vw badge to press down on, saves the paint [:)]
I had quite a few boot closure failures when new but now I seem to have the technique about right and also I expect the boot seals have yielded somwhat. I use the internal recesses to lower the lid and then apply two hand to either side of the VW bad (on the paintwork) and press down firmly but not too heavily.

I'm very fussy with my car but not worried about marks on my Silver metallic paint as you can't really see them - that's why I always choose silver etc. and not some dark colour which shows every little blemish. I certainly would not keep on pushing down using the base of the wiper as this seems a recipe for disaster - It's a bit springy and flimsy in my experience and may exacerbate water ingress if it were to loosen!

#11 ·
Mine's a pain to shut too - have to
give it a good slam for it to shut properly - also something is
rattling around in the boot lid - yet to investigate that - anyone
taken out the trim around the boot lid as yet? Was it easy?

#12 ·
One boot rattle I managed to track down.....

When travelling over speed humps, sometimes on a slight incline, there was a large rattling/banging noise coming from the boot.

Eventually worked out it was the 'rubber balls' that are used to weight down the cords on the parcel shelf. They were banging against the inside of the boot door.

Can't think of any easy way to stop it, but it's good to know what was making the noise.

#13 ·
Mad, I thought it was just me being a weirdo when I took delivery of mine - I'm suspicious that the weight of hte mk4 boot is less than the mk5 - so whilst a lighter shove works on the mk5 - a bit of muscle is required to get the damn thing shut. Have you noticed as well - opening it, it comes up a lot easier and quicker than a mk4??

Maybe the difference is that there are now five airbags and sixteen annoying sensors in the hatch!!! How I'd love to cut some of that weight out of my Mk5 by removing 6 or so airbags.

#15 ·

Maybe the difference is that there are now five airbags and sixteen annoying sensors in the hatch!!! How I'd love to cut some of that weight out of my Mk5 by removing 6 or so airbags.
I can't believe that you say this! You'd really like to save some weight in this mannner and, as a result compromise the safety of anyone else riding in the vehicle, including yourself, presumably - daft, I say. However Chacun a son gout (as they say in France).

#17 ·
Have to admit over the last few days (been up and down from London to Peterborough taking kit and people after Thurs) the amount of usage it's had - it's gotten better.

The doors are the same - can't remember where I read it on here - but the seals have definitely softened up and don't need such a manly shove (the old dear getting in/out of my car was dead funny when I got it ;) to close properly now.

It's all good! [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.