Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
could anyone shed some light on what is mostly likely to cause damp footwells.
Some initial searches have suggested the possibility of a blocked pollen
filter. Where is this located? And is it feasible that this could occur given
that the car has just had a major service and the filter would have been
replaced?<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Any other
suggestions?<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

The car is
a 00 GTI 1.8T and the dampness is mostly in the rear left footwell and bit in
the front passenger carpet as well. <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It does not have to be a blocked filter, it can be a badly fitted one too.  The fact that you have just had it changed suggests that this is your problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not have to be a blocked filter, it can
be a badly fitted one too. The fact that you have just had it
changed suggests that this is your problem.
Cheers for the feedback. Any idea where it is located, can I get at it without having the car on a ramp?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Looking at the front of the car with the bonnet open.  You will see a scuttle panel across the car running between the windscreen and the engine.  The right hand side of this is a separate piece of plastic held on by a few screws.  Remove this section of plastic and the filter is underneath, it is really easy to do.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Isn't rear footwell a sympton of the rear washer (leak) problem? That pillar (what's it called?) at the side of the front seats being wet as well?

·
Registered
476 Posts
<spouting crap alert>

The way I undesrtood it was a pipe running almost along the inside of the roof to the back? It's just that some people on here have complained about damp in the back and the roof area above this pillar was damp as well - when i put 8 + 5 together i assumed their must be a pipe containing fluid up above?

A7, it does sound senisible to run it along the deck, but there was a post about a loeak from above a while back (wet fabric on roof), made me wonder at the time as well.

Don't get to concerned about what i'm taking about here, but does your rear washer work? It's not happened to me (kiss of death), but this rear washer business is common, it's comes up in the winter a lot with the 'how do i change the front lights' and 'my mirrors aren't heating' posts.

<alert code green ish>

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was meaning the plastic membrane between the inside of the door card and the metal of the door (not related at all to the rear washer question).  I've had to replace mine before on my mk2 and mk3.  Is the bottom of the door card wet?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Is the car a 3 door ? If so it could be the rear window seal.Since owning my Golf I have had to reseal both rear windows due to damp floors.Autoglass said they replace a lot on Golfs due to the seal breaking down.They quoted me ?150 per side as the have to replace the glass with the rubber seal attched.I bought Glass bond and resealed it myself.The only hardish part is stripping the rear panels out etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A while back i used my rear washer, and nothing came out.looked back and saw a wet patch
on the passenger side panel between the back seat and the boot
(I'm driving a 5 Door, hope u guys know which panel i'm talking about.)
In any case, have not used the washer since then as i'm too scared to take the panel off
and take a look, as i don't know how to get it off(Have never asked here before cause im lazy,
but i know u guys know everything, so here goes: How do you get that panel off???)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ahhhh haaaaa.

There's a 'how to' on fixing this with some pipe or the likes (it's v.common and others will help you) . Can't help further as it's only posts that i've glanced at rather than any experience with it.

Pop into the 'how to section' see if it helps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just checked the pollen filter. Everything seems in order, the filter
is seated properly. Will take it to the dealer who serviced it tomorrow
anyway to see what they say. This is a problem that has not occurred
before in 40k miles on a 2000 car. Surely it must be something they did
during the service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts