Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,any ideas on how i can stop the passenger seat belt buckle from going tap tap tap every time i run over the slightest little bump?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
gearcruncher, are you talking about the tongue of the seat belt buckle that rests against the door pillar? If so, I think it's a design fault that can only be solved by adding some sort of padding behind it. The buckles on the seats have stick-on felt pads to stop them tapping on the centre console.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi,yeah its the tongue/buckle bit,really annoying when your on your own{dont want to take the mrs everywhere!}the other bit has the padding on it,wondered what that was for,looks like a naf afterthought.still,if thats all i can find fault with it cant be bad!cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm glad someone else suffers with this! bloody thing drives me mad!!

I have only owned my GT TDI for a couple of weeks, at the moment when I'm in the car on my own I clip the belt into the buckle.

The cars booked in at the dealers next week for the drivers side seat belt buckle as it rattles, so i'll have a word!!

Surely theres more MK5 owners with this problem???

Cheers

Jas[:D]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Had a look at this yesterday, as mine had not rattled for a while. Discovered that the metal seat belt "tongue" moves away from the body part it hits, to make the rattle, the higher up the belt adjuster is positioned. As mine is about half way up the range of adjustment, this seems to have cured the problem.

If you can't do this, something could be positioned for the belt to run over to push it away from the body. Shouldn't be too difficult to make this look professional. Pity VW couldn't!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes it's very annoying, and it does happen on the 5 doors as well!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,

Just joined the forum. I do suffer from the dreaded seat buckle knocking againist the side trim and reading through the thread, I can't see how this can't be sorted out under warranty. It's just VW bad design and cost cutting. I find that when the seat is not occupied, I move the actual seat belt buckle/metal tongue up to the seat belt height adjuster surround so the plastic buckle just rests against it. It stops the buckle from knocking against the trim and no more annoying knocking.

Hope this sorts everyone's problem.

gttdi140

·
Registered
167 Posts
guys,

i found the best fix for the damn seat belt rattle,

move the seat belt adjuster right to the top and it puts more tension on the belt and hey-presto*sorted*

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I AGREE THIER,AS MY SEAT BELT WAS RATTLING LIKE MAD,DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS MORE ANNOYING MY GIRLFRIENDS NAGGING OR THE BLOODY SEAT BELT-SORTED THE SEAT BELT BY PUTTING THE ADJUSTER TO ITS MAX LEVEL & IT FIXED THE PROBLEM,JUST NEED A EASY FIX FOR MY SORE EAR FROM THE NAGGING

1 - 20 of 21 Posts