Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is at that age where everything that can be replaced seems to need to.  But even more annoying is that I have a horrible rattle coming from seemingly under the dashboard on the far passenger side.  I assumed it was something rattling in and around the space where the pollen filter is but there was nothing there.  Then i put padding where the pollen filter scuttle cover rests on the main scuttle cover and it seemed to get better.  But it is still there and driving me mad.  Anyone got any ideas?  It seems to only do it when car is at low revs and under load (so when car is rattling the most).

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I posted this a while back. I can't remember who but some one posted a very simple solution. Firstly the dash drops down near when it meets the windscreen, but then it rolls up to make contact with the glass. On Tdi's the extra vibration causes the dash to flap up and down, tapping on the glass.

So the solution is to cut a rectangle of cloth and tuck it in the dash (right in the middle). Jam it so it is squashed between the dash and the glass. Leave a tuft if you need to fish it out. From the drivers seat you won't see it - u'll need to be up at the rear view rear mirror to notice it.

It won't get rid of it complete but it will dampen it out. Worked for my car. Good luck

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually already have this, as i have foam down there holding my RA2 cable down.  It is deff coming from far side, ie where tax disk is.....

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
That's what mine was - too much in the glove box causing it to rattle! Try pressing it next time you're driving.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it is not that as i drove for a while with no glove box whilst waiting for new one and it was till there.  At least they are being eliminated....

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
I posted this a while back. I can't remember who but some one posted a very simple solution. Firstly the dash drops down near when it meets the windscreen, but then it rolls up to make contact with the glass. On Tdi's the extra vibration causes the dash to flap up and down, tapping on the glass.
It was me that replied to you sk4tec if I remember correctly.

Mine rattled about a foot across from the nearside A pillar, so not far from the tax disc. A small piece of cloth solved it for me

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

So the solution is to cut a rectangle of cloth and tuck it in the dash (right in the middle). Jam it so it is squashed between the dash and the glass. Leave a tuft if you need to fish it out. From the drivers seat you won't see it - u'll need to be up at the rear view rear mirror to notice it.

It won't get rid of it complete but it will dampen it out. Worked for my car. Good luck
Did your rattle sound like it was coming from the passenger air bag unit? and if you applied pressure to the airbag cover in the dash did you get a creaking noise? if so this is the exact same as what i have got in my car!?!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Did your rattle sound like it was coming from the passenger air bag unit? and if you applied pressure to the airbag cover in the dash did you get a creaking noise? if so this is the exact same as what i have got in my car!?!
Sure did. I cured mine temporarily by pushing a wooly glove down the gap between the screen and the dash on the passenger side. That's how I knew how to fix it permanantly.

My poxy W8 light is now what rattles and does my head in. Too much bass + lowered suspension me thinks

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It was me that replied to you sk4tec if I remember correctly.

Mine rattled about a foot across from the nearside A pillar, so not far from the tax disc. A small piece of cloth solved it for me
Yes thats right - I recognise the sig. Mines doing well, thanks!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will certainly give the cloth down the screen in that corner once car comes back.  Will let you know.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just be glad its not a Leon, I was driving my mums almost 2 year old cupra and it drove me mad rattles from drivers/passengers top and bottom.

There is only one solution, loud music.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
iv got 2 lol one just above my front ashtray but its solved with a bit of card but its started again. and the other is the passenger air bag cover. anyone got any ideas how i can stop this one creaking? its the cover on the dash if you push on it.it stops???

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My poxy W8 light is now what rattles and does my head in. Too much bass + lowered suspension me thinks
Mine did this.

You can take it completely apart, split the cover from the body of the light then the lense from the cover.

Superglue it all back together, no more bass rattle.

Also the passenger side rattle isn't the recirc motor clicking is it ?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well still doing and seems worse than ever.  It is a metalic rattle but is very quick so not like a screw rattling around loosly some thing is vibrating.  I have tried everything mentioned above with no joy.........

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You sure its not your clutch mate?! [;)]
LOL, but it defo seems worse now! No James i have not got uprated mounts and from the noise increase with the new flywheel won't be getting them. Car sounds like a 25 year old diesel bus now as it is!! Well until you depress the clutch of course!!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
My car is at that age where everything that can be replaced seems to need to. But even more annoying is that I have a horrible rattle coming from seemingly under the dashboard on the far passenger side. I assumed it was something rattling in and around the space where the pollen filter is but there was nothing there. Then i put padding where the pollen filter scuttle cover rests on the main scuttle cover and it seemed to get better. But it is still there and driving me mad. Anyone got any ideas? It seems to only do it when car is at low revs and under load (so when car is rattling the most).
Can you hear this noise when you?re trying to set off? For example when your using your clutch can hear a rumbling noise at low revs? and say if your driving on a flat road and say your in second gear, at 2000rpm and then you put your car into third gear and gently accelerate as your revs go up slow do you get a slight rumble around 1400rpm and then does it go away? I have this problem and it driving me nuts it?s definitely something vibrating but what??<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 43 Posts