Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by Caged on 03/12/2004 08:22:46

...everyones got their flamimg fog lights on!!

Arrgghhhhhhh!

Mind going on the BBC camera in Southampton this morning that is one place where you probably would need them on. The picture was just grey couldn't see a thing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, it was bad enough for me to use mine in Leeds a couple of mornings ago. I did turn them off asap though. I reckon most people just forget to turn them off.

If im on the motorway and its raining heavily I put my rears on as my car kicks up loads of spray and I dont want anyone ploughing into the back of me...To put my rears on I have no choice but to put on my fronts too as they are on the same switch. If you see a Yellow Leon driving on the motorway with its front fogs on in the rain then I appologise now as really I just want my rears on.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Came back up M5 last night and had my fogs on, patches were really bad and yes some drivers didn't have fogs on. I joked that the BMW drivers will have turned them off now.

There were some D*cks that were trying to use full beams to "see better" but still doing 70+ mph.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by unikarl on 03/12/2004 11:24:19

Well, it was bad enough for me to use mine in Leeds a couple of mornings ago. I did turn them off asap though. I reckon most people just forget to turn them off.

If im on the motorway and its raining heavily I put my rears on as my car kicks up loads of spray and I dont want anyone ploughing into the back of me...To put my rears on I have no choice but to put on my fronts too as they are on the same switch. If you see a Yellow Leon driving on the motorway with its front fogs on in the rain then I appologise now as really I just want my rears on.

Daft innit?

I've had 2 occastions this week where ive had to flash my rear fogs at someone behind me (one with NO lights on, and another with fogs on)... and i have to put my front fogs on to do that - the drivers in front must be calling me all sorts!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Jesus.. it's mad ain't it.. started about two months ago.. as soon as it was dark driving home from work. I'm gonna flash them in future. and the amount of people who've dazzled me with stupidly bright, misaligned lights.. so unnecessary to have lights THAT bright. One day it'll cause someone to have an accident cause they were dazzled by someone's lights [:(]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i must admit i had mine on for about 5 mins this morning, through some patchy mist/fog, but i turned them off once i was through it. I never use mine if i am following another car.

No offense, but I don't understand why people use rear fogs in rain [?], fog lights are for fog.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote: posted by DBGTTDI on 03/12/2004 11:28:07

Came back up M5 last night and had my fogs on, patches were really bad and yes some drivers didn't have fogs on. I joked that the BMW drivers will have turned them off now.

There were some D*cks that were trying to use full beams to "see better" but still doing 70+ mph.

yeah I cam down the M5 from Brum to Bristol last night and it was quite dense in patches. I didn't bother with mine though as I didn't have problems seeing anybody else.

What did shock me tho was a beemer in the middle lane who on leaving one of the foggy patches then proceeded to switch his rear fogs OFF!!! You could have knocked me down with a feather, I nearly wanted to give him a thumbs up as I cruised past!! [:I]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 03/12/2004 11:37:18

i must admit i had mine on for about 5 mins this morning, through some patchy mist/fog, but i turned them off once i was through it. I never use mine if i am following another car.

No offense, but I don't understand why people use rear fogs in rain [?], fog lights are for fog.

"No offense, but I don't understand why people use rear fogs in rain [?], fog lights are for fog." - Cos they do not have the capacity to differentiate between rain and fog like a normal person can. - Just don't think to themselves "If I put these on in rain (that isn't heavy enough to reduce visibility that much), are they gonna dazzle anyone unnecessarily ?" Sad, isn't it ?

Edited to make my point a lil clearer [:D]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 03/12/2004 11:42:38

"No offense, but I don't understand why people use rear fogs in rain [?], fog lights are for fog." - Cos they do not have the capacity to differentiate between rain and fog like a normal person can. - Just don't think to themselves "If I put these on in rain, are they gonna dazzle anyone unnecessarily ?" Sad, isn't it ?

I put my rears on in bad rain on the motorway. Visibilty is drastically reduced and people dont seem to realise that speed needs reducing too. Whats fog? Its particles of water, exactly the same as the mist thrown up by the back of my car. So am I doing something terrible by making people see me sooner on a fast moving road with reduced visibility? No. We may call them fog lights but they are intended to be used when visibility is reduced which is EXACTLY what I use them for.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by unikarl on 03/12/2004 11:47:23

Quote: posted by tylerama on 03/12/2004 11:42:38

"No offense, but I don't understand why people use rear fogs in rain [?], fog lights are for fog." - Cos they do not have the capacity to differentiate between rain and fog like a normal person can. - Just don't think to themselves "If I put these on in rain, are they gonna dazzle anyone unnecessarily ?" Sad, isn't it ?

I put my rears on in bad rain on the motorway. Visibilty is drastically reduced and people dont seem to realise that speed needs reducing too. Whats fog? Its particles of water, exactly the same as the mist thrown up by the back of my car. So am I doing something terrible by making people see me sooner on a fast moving road with reduced visibility? No. We may call them fog lights but they are intended to be used when visibility is reduced which is EXACTLY what I use them for.

I can completely understand use in bad, heavy rain or when visibility is very much reduced.. as you say, exactly what they are meant for. It's the folks with perfect visibility who have them on for no reason that gets my goat.

If visibility is really bad and needs extra warning of a car in front, of course they should be used. A good example is last night driving home past the runway of the local airport, so obviously a long very straight road, no rain, perfectly clear visibility, slightly damp maybe, but the amount of people with fogs on... probably every fourth or fifth car !? Just unnecessary, imo. [:D]

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMO if you are doing 50mph or more happily the the fog/spray isn't bad enough to warrant High Intensity rear lights, and it's made so much worse at night...

Following a car on a motorway at night in the rain with his fogs on is just hell!

Scott

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote: posted by Caged on 03/12/2004 12:00:10

Following a car on a motorway at night in the rain with his fogs on is just hell!

I don't want to start an argument here, but I have to agree. IMO it is actually more dangerous.

·
Registered
221 Posts
[/quote]

I can completely understand use in bad, heavy rain or when visibility is very much reduced.. as you say, exactly what they are meant for. It's the folks with perfect visibility who have them on for no reason that gets my goat.

If visibility is really bad and needs extra warning of a car in front, of course they should be used. A good example is last night driving home past the runway of the local airport, so obviously a long very straight road, no rain, perfectly clear visibility, slightly damp maybe, but the amount of people with fogs on... probably every fourth or fifth car !? Just unnecessary, imo. [:D]

[/quote]

Fair comment mate. TBH though, the fog light drivers dont really annoy me, they make me laugh! I find it funny how they really believe they look cool[8D] by having an extra set of lights on![B)]

I certainly would never switch mine on unless I though it completely necessary.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote: posted by 02 Bora on 03/12/2004 12:07:43

Quote: posted by Caged on 03/12/2004 12:00:10

I don't want to start an argument here, but I have to agree. IMO it is actually more dangerous.

Hey, if people think its too bright then they just have to stay back![^]

Those LCR rear bumpers cost a fortune and I really woundnt be pleased if somebody hit it[V]

Im talking extreme reduction in visibility here (I go across the top of the M62 a lot). Why do you think its more dangerous?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts