Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on the response I may or may not get from the wheel supplier will dictate how I pursue this matter. In the meantime if you were presented with the following series of pictures what would be your opinion on how the damage was caused.

The possible causes could be hitting a kerb or pressure applied by an impliment causing the indentation. I would however point out the lack of rotational scratches either side of the damage.

Your thoughts please guys......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
That is clearly from a tyre lever on the machine when you got new rubber, it is also very recent.  If they dispute it you will be able to match up with the machine and show how it slipped.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
As Milkfloat said Steve, are they messing you about???

Think i'll wait to see before i give them a call for mine.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
tbh you would struggle to make that sort of mark with a tyre lever. it looks more like they gripped the rim on the outer edge. the lines are too defined. either way it doesnt look like kurbing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hmmm looks like damage from when the tyre was fitted, as no damage to the tyre itself, the only thing you can do is go in and see what they say... let us know..

If you don't mind me asking how much did you get them for?

Ian

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats from when they put on the tyres, did you read my post from last week:

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/575331.aspx

Got exactly the same problem, however, my local VW stealer has only agreed to re-furb the damaged area after admitting they damaged them when putting on the tyres, brand new alloys aswell, gutted. Spoke to Trading Standards as I am still not happy with what they have offered and Im awaiting a response.

My alloys look exactly the same, thought I was just being fussy.

Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
IT IS NOT FROM A TYRE LEVER AS THE LEVER IS ONLY USED ON THE RIM TO
REMOVE AN OLD TYER (damn caps again!!!) not to fit a new one....
so with these being brand new rims and having a never had an old tyre
removed I can only suggest the rim had been dropped whilst it was
naked..

Steve seriously mate I used to fit tyres many many moons ago and I am
99% sure that is not from a lever, it looks more like sudden impact
damage IE the rim has been dropped

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
IT IS NOT FROM A TYRE LEVER AS THE LEVER IS ONLY USED ON THE RIM TO REMOVE AN OLD TYER (damn caps again!!!) not to fit a new one.... so with these being brand new rims and having a never had an old tyre removed I can only suggest the rim had been dropped whilst it was naked..

Steve seriously mate I used to fit tyres many many moons ago and I am 99% sure that is not from a lever, it looks more like sudden impact damage IE the rim has been dropped
...in that case you know that the tyre lever never actually touches the rim when you remove the tyre!!! well it doesnt on ours anyway! theres a bit on the machine it presses against.

dropping is lookin likely. didnt realise they were new. id be furious!!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
IT IS NOT FROM A TYRE
LEVER AS THE LEVER IS ONLY USED ON THE RIM TO REMOVE AN OLD TYER (damn
caps again!!!) not to fit a new one.... so with these being brand
new rims and having a never had an old tyre removed I can only suggest
the rim had been dropped whilst it was naked..

Steve seriously
mate I used to fit tyres many many moons ago and I am 99% sure that is
not from a lever, it looks more like sudden impact damage IE the rim
has been dropped
...in that case you know that the tyre lever never actually touches
the rim when you remove the tyre!!! well it doesnt on ours anyway!
theres a bit on the machine it presses against.

dropping is lookin likely. didnt realise they were new. id be furious!!!
I know you dont touch the rim but I didnt want to go into the
intricacies of the bead mounter and how lever against that.... the
biggest lever in the world couldnt do that against the rim without
fubaring the tyre aswell. Saying that alot of kids who are only used to
doing steelies will stick the lever in before or after the bead
thingy... especially if the havent pulled the rim into the middle of
the rim and itss very very tight..... never never let the YTS kid fit
your tyres

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
ha too true, or they leave nasty alloy weights on leaving a nice speed stripe round half the wheel!!

anyway, let us know what they say!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After several unreturned phone calls I got somewhere yesterday afternoon. The suppliers forwarded the pictures to BBS in London for an opinion. The result is BBS will ship a replacement wheel from Germany but request I pay ?50 towards the cost. Reluctantly I agreed to this. I can see it from BBS's point of view that I could be some wide boy trying it on.

I've got to be realistic, I can't see whoever damaged it admitting to it. If it was one of the fitters, who I strongly suspect, they would be out of a job. Maybe it was the same fitter who let me drive out without tightening one of the locking wheel nuts which fell out, or sprayed the rear brake disc in copper grease when I asked him to put a smear on the mounting face to stop the wheel bonding. Pay peanuts ........

So that's the deal, I pay another ?50 to replace a damaged wheel that was not caused by me. It's a bitter pill to swallow but I will be having words when I get the new wheel on. When the management see the damage in person they'll realise why I'm so miffed then maybe, just maybe they'll waive the 50 quid they want from me. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
After several unreturned phone calls I got somewhere yesterday afternoon. The suppliers forwarded the pictures to BBS in London for an opinion. The result is BBS will ship a replacement wheel from Germany but request I pay ?50 towards the cost. Reluctantly I agreed to this. I can see it from BBS's point of view that I could be some wide boy trying it on.

I've got to be realistic, I can't see whoever damaged it admitting to it. If it was one of the fitters, who I strongly suspect, they would be out of a job. Maybe it was the same fitter who let me drive out without tightening one of the locking wheel nuts which fell out, or sprayed the rear brake disc in copper grease when I asked him to put a smear on the mounting face to stop the wheel bonding. Pay peanuts ........

So that's the deal, I pay another ?50 to replace a damaged wheel that was not caused by me. It's a bitter pill to swallow but I will be having words when I get the new wheel on. When the management see the damage in person they'll realise why I'm so miffed then maybe, just maybe they'll waive the 50 quid they want from me. We shall see.
I think you are being too nice, what youi are effectively doing is admitting guilt. There is no way I would stand for that. Your contract was pretty clear, they supply the goods, if they are damaged before they get to you it is not your fault or problem, it is theirs. I would be raising merry hell and tell the supplier who your contrcat is with to sort it out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
gotta agree with milkfloat here, if its one thing that gets me [:mad:] is companies trying to avoid blame or pass off dodgy service with offers of we'll sort it if you pay the difference etc. They're happy to take your money for a service level you'd expect but when they dont supply they go quiet.

Recent qualm is with Royal Mail, managed to lose a parcel of mine, sent fully insured, they eventually paid the insurance but wouldnt refund the postage amount, maybe just me being tight but I paid for the service they offered i.e. to deliver a parcel, they failed, didnt return parcel to sender but somehow managed to lose it. In my head they didnt supply the service i paid for so should refund me the amount i paid, is that so wrong, Royal Mail thought so.... [:mad:]

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I think you are being too nice, what youi are effectively doing is admitting guilt. There is no way I would stand for that. Your contract was pretty clear, they supply the goods, if they are damaged before they get to you it is not your fault or problem, it is theirs. I would be raising merry hell and tell the supplier who your contrcat is with to sort it out.
I understand your point entirely Milkfloat but I'm caught between a rock and hard place. I noticed the damage when I got home to Southport and rang the company immediately to complain. The problem is I suspect who has caused the damage but can't prove it and there is a difference. They no doubt are hiding behind the fact that I had driven some 30 miles and could have caused the damage myself. Although I know I was not responsible I cannot prove that either. If I had seen the damage before I left the premises I would have been water tight. As I see it, it's all about having the evidence to support my claim. Unfortunately I don't have that evidence so my case is weakened.

Nevertheless I'll see what the face to face meeting brings, they haven't got my money yet.[;)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts