Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bora is going to a new home next week so I need to find a replacement. Plan is to have a daily and a track car - the latter will be discussed in another topic though to help keep this one on course.

I need a 5 door diesel with enough space to lug stuff about, estates are an option in that respect. Ideally would like to keep within the VAG stable but would consider other options if the right car came up. I'll be doing around 40-50 miles per day soon so need something suitable for motorway driving etc.

Now, the fun part. Budget is £4-4,500.

Current front runners are a MK4 PD130, Passat 130 Sport/Highline. Any others that spring to mind?

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plan is to get a Bora 1.8T for the track.

Drove a 33D yesterday which I was impressed with, and it was mentioned that a 320D would be the better option should I take a look in that direction. What are the usual things to look for with the BM?

High milers don't bother me that much, just as long they have the right history.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Plan is to get a Bora 1.8T for the track.

Drove a 33D yesterday which I was impressed with, and it was mentioned that a 320D would be the better option should I take a look in that direction. What are the usual things to look for with the BM?

High milers don't bother me that much, just as long they have the right history.
They can suffer with weak suspension bushes, much like the Golf, so that's something to check out. Also inspect the rear subframe mounting points, they can crack, although that tends to be more on the pre-2001 cars, although some later ones suffered too. If it's cracked or looks in bad condition, walk away as it's a huge repair bill. Only other common fault I can think of is window regulators - if the windows are slow and noisy, they'll need replacing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'd say beemer 3 series.

Although if going for 330D try and find a 2002+ one, as these have a different engine to the pre 2002 versions. 204bhp (remaps to ~250) vs 184bhp (remaps to ~ 220), and the older ones have issues with the internals coming loose and getting crunched up. Swirl flaps I believe?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
The passat will bore you to death on the daily run...

I know of a '54 130 highline borat which may be up for sale soon with 130k, fsh and for about £4k.

If it's just the daily, you'll probably not be bothered about performance and handling, you'll want practicality and economy too - mk4 chassis parts are cheap as chips, and you know them inside out, so perhaps mk4 variant 130 sport would suit?

The bm's consumables you'd expect to be higher.

Sad to hear the Bora's off to a new home [whistle]......

Chris.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd say beemer 3 series.

Although if going for 330D try and find a 2002+ one, as these have a different engine to the pre 2002 versions. 204bhp (remaps to ~250) vs 184bhp (remaps to ~ 220), and the older ones have issues with the internals coming loose and getting crunched up. Swirl flaps I believe?
330D is a fair way outside the price bracket I've highlighted. Would consider one if they did 'em for 4k!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The passat will bore you to death on the daily run...

I know of a '54 130 highline borat which may be up for sale soon with 130k, fsh and for about £4k.

If it's just the daily, you'll probably not be bothered about performance and handling, you'll want practicality and economy too - mk4 chassis parts are cheap as chips, and you know them inside out, so perhaps mk4 variant 130 sport would suit?

The bm's consumables you'd expect to be higher.

Sad to hear the Bora's off to a new home

Chris.
That's exactly what I need though. Something I can't fettle with - as that box will be ticked by das track car. Of course EGR mods and a cheeky remap would be permitted.

How soon will that highline be up for sale? Need to sort something by this weekend ideally.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts