Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Yes and maybe ask him how long it took him to do? I was in touch with him quite a bit during that time, and as far as I know there's only him, Foxy and Umrelt (?) that's done it with UK lights. The glue is so damned strong! The US lights use a different glue which makes the job 90% easier.

sorry Cat not having a go, t'has been a long day!

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
No of course that's a fair point. I just thought (as I always do on the headlight separation threads) that I should warn ppl that it's no easy task! I have tried myself and gave in lol.. But hey that's me :eek:)

IMO - buy a second pair of lights to try with, I've got a pair here if anyone's after some, just take your time and hopefully you'll succeed!

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
^^ Very true I may eBay my standard lights.
I was very very lucky, thanks to RJH I have a set of OEM Anni's - he spotted one at a scrapyard we visited, and then found me the opposite side on eBay not 24hrs later! The total cost was ?90 and although they're not in 100% mint condition they are not far off :eek:) result!
Is it a mod you fancy doing Cat? I don't think I've ever seen a green mk4 with Anni lights, they would look excellent I reckon!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMO - buy a second pair of lights to try with, I've got a pair here if
anyone's after some, just take your time and hopefully you'll
succeed!
Thanks for the warnings on the difficulty level.

That's what I had in mind ... picking up a set from the local scrappy
and trying on them, rather than butchering mine. How much are you after
for your set?

·
Registered
266 Posts
as said, thank you for the warnings

i'm still going to try it, just use a heat gun instead of a hairdryer.

or try loosening it with the hot end of a soldering iorn.

will let you know how i get on
Trust me it won't work.........Done all of that and even baked the buggers in the oven they would not split!

Blisters to prove it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have spilt the headlights and its not easy. I have posted a how to............I will look for it.

How did you get on with it Rye?
I managed to do it in the end! I found the hardest part was cutting the light unit away from the glass.. Although breaking the glass and removing the broken glass from the groove also took a long time. I had it all finished and looking good.. Had them on my car for two weeks and one of my headlights got smashed! I think it was a stone off the road... TOTALLY gutted and now I am running standard lights again. Mainly because I do not even want to put in half the effort (i.e. one light).

Do not underestimate the effort needed for this mod! It is ridiculous!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.