and a 100 to fit exhaust and carboni

total price ?1488

and that will give me 240 min bhp and power where i want it

what are your views ?????????????????

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Right

Normally aspirated 2.8l engine will give 210lbft peak torque on high 98 ron fuel at 75lbft/litre which is about as much as is possible.

Bear in mind this is at peak torque, and maintaining more than about 90% of this at high rpm without some serious head work, cams etc is very hard, so lets be generous and say 189lbft max at 6000 rpm. This would give about 215hp at 6k revs, and if by some absolute miracle it can hold this to 6500 rpm, it'll get you 233hp.

If anyone believes that this is possible without the use extreme breathing mods and very high octane fuel (race fuel), you're seriously deluding yourself.

I'm sure you can get a dyno to prove it makes 240hp, but anyone who has any understanding of an internal combustion engine won't believe it.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I must admit i've always disbelieved claims from members on here with AMD plots giving more than 230bhp from a V64Mo.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so am i wasting my time with re-maps custom codes then ????????

as it seems theres not much true power to gain ???

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Power is definatly there to be gained, you only need to ask members on here with remapped V6's.

The debatable bit is just how much can be squeezed from a NA V6 engine.

Did JBS say if they have mapped other V6's for the power claim?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i agree like you say about the other v6's on here

yes they had done others and some get a better bhp then others as its not a generick code they do

and was told there is sometime a better result on some engines then there is on others

so i see where he was coming from ie a friday afternoon engine get thrown together so they can get away if you no what i mean

but what i realy wana no who can be trusted ie i dont want a fried ecu after 6 months

i know remaps are the cheap and most easy way to gain power but who is the best at doing it ??

theres been a lot of bad remarks going around which has well made me think should i shouldnt i

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Custom Code can certainly be trusted, they will offer you an excellent
code which im sure will more than satisfy your requirements.

I suppose what im trying to say is don't have a figure in your mind otherwise you will leave dissapointed.

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
The Custom Code Website Quotes the following figures:

Power Stock Phase One Phase Two

BHP 204 220-225 225-235

Torque ft/lb 195 210-215 215-230

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know what you mean gary i wasnt realy looking at figures was just saying that they reckon about 240

if that was the case i would be pleased , but like you say , dont expect to get it , as i no ya cant get much more out of mine

which is why i was saying is nearly 35 at max bhp realy worth spending 1500 notes

ie carboni , cat back and then a custom code

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
One thing that anyone tuning a normally aspirated engine should be aware of is that you cannot increase torque by any significan margin.

Look at the attached table, and you'll see that 75lbft/litre is just about the maximum that is sensibly atainable from an engine. The peak specific torque output is a reasonable measure as to how well an engine breathes, and only cars such as the enzo, and the new M5 plus a few other exotics get over this 75lbft per litre, and they do it by having extremely clever cariable inlet geometary along with infinately variable lift and duration on their valves. Another good indication to how well an engine breathes is how far up the rev range maximum torque is produced.

You'll see that any high specific torque output engine tends to have a torque peak high in the rev range, and also produces high specific power.

Most engines don't have these features and are incapable of producing higher torque figures, and the shape of the torque curve is defined by the geometary of the head/valves, intake and exhaust.

By using free flowing exhausts and intakes etc, you can effect this ever so slightly (1 or 2%) at any point. The only way to make significant improvement is by moving the torque peak higher up the rev range using cams.

Look at the attached table, especially at specific torque output, of a variety of engines, and see how rediculous remappers claims of torque increases look. If a guy with a computer could do this, when all the automotive industry can't don't you think ferrari would be taking there cars to one of these mappers for some software?

Posted Image

·
Registered
680 Posts
but in all of this you forget the magic ingrediant of magic fairy dust.

old Jetta 16v on t'bodies, cams, mappable ecu way back in 1997 - 210bhp, 172lbft from 1984cc

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice one [:D] thanks cat , gary

so it seems like theres not much to gain from any type of re-map , trouble is i havent been in any re-maped 4mos

so don't no the dif ie before and after

but have been to the rolling road day when ade and wayne , both with amd and an increase of 30+ which does seem fair gain

but theres been lots of talk about amd , so where do ya go for one now

trouble is apart from the internals , cam's , valves and so on ( which i dont wana go down that road ) did with my old minis though

not much more that can be done apart from exhaust , good induction and remap well apart from a super charger ,

seems theres a few companys out there that will do ya a re-map , but which ones wont fry the ecu after a few months

v6 4motions seem very limited

1 - 20 of 29 Posts