Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i finally got hold of a cubby hole for my golf, but i have no idea how the hell its supposed to fit in there, or even how to do it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

From what i can see it doesnt look like its going to fit, but what do i know. I have had a search on this forum and on vortex and still no joy... anyone? Can you tell from the pic if its the right cubby hole?

Posted Image

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
your holding the cubby hole upside down.

the sticking out bits slot into parts of the dash and click in when its in correctly.

remove headunit

slot cubby into top slot

put head unit back in..

jammy

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The cubi hole is NOT upside down,otherwise whatever you put in it would fall out through the holes.

If you pull your head unit out just enough to be able to get the cubbi hole in,then push you h/unit back in .This way ,the wiring wont get in the way or snag up.

I took the triangle spacer out as well and have no problems.I think its to space out the aircon and h/unit.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
i was thinkin of that spacer notches, you don't use the spacer.

must be slightly different style cubby as my holes look different shape and my "wings" are on the bottom and slot into the notches in the middle on the sides of the 2 dins.

the triangle spacer is used to separate the VW CD player/changer and gamma/beta unit.

jammy

·
Super Moderator
50,237 Posts
Don''t forget the top and bottom cubby holes are differenet and NOT interchangeable,as far as I know they are the same across all Veedubs that use them,Polos,Golfs,Sharans and Passats.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Don''t forget the top and bottom cubby holes are differenet and NOT interchangeable,as far as I know they are the same across all Veedubs that use them,Polos,Golfs,Sharans and Passats.
Not true.

I have a Bora/Golf Cubby hole in my hand here and it's nothing like the one in the pic. That looks like a polo cubby you've got but i'm not exactly sure. I remember going to a scrap yard to get a few cubby holes and we left the polo and passat ones because they were different.

P.S. - that's a bottom cubby I think

Baz

·
Registered
47 Posts
A Golf cubby hole will fit in either the top or bottom space - but you'll need to turn it upside down to fit in one of them.

I switched my head unit and cubby hole around cos I wanted the head unit higher up (easier to reach and read the display). The cubby hole fits in the bottom space but you've got to turn it upside down. Not ideal as the holes are at the bottom (but nothings going to fall through as there's part of the dash directly below).

But I believe you can buy a cubby hole for the bottom space that will be the correct way up when you fit it there

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Not true.

I have a Bora/Golf Cubby hole in my hand here and it's nothing like the one in the pic. That looks like a polo cubby you've got but i'm not exactly sure. I remember going to a scrap yard to get a few cubby holes and we left the polo and passat ones because they were different.

P.S. - that's a bottom cubby I think

Baz
So it IS TRUE.

NOT," NOT TRUE"

You sound as piffed as me

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
as far as I know they are the same across all Veedubs that use them,Polos,Golfs,Sharans and Passats.
So it IS TRUE.

NOT," NOT TRUE"

You sound as piffed as me
I think you're trying to say i stated a double negative?

It is in fact "not true" that they are the same accross all 'veedubs' that use them.

Baz

·
Super Moderator
50,237 Posts
At the moment I've got a top cubby hole,and I've been wanting to move my head unit to the top ever since I got the car.A few days ago I fitted a VW single CD player to a Galaxy,and managed to convince the owner to let me keep his bottom cubby hole,so sometime in the next few days I'll be swapping them over when I get five minutes.
This SHOULD also make getting the head unit all the way into it's cage a lot easier now,as before I had to leave the top cubby hole out after putting the cage in,and then tuck the HOOOOOOOOGE bundle of RCAs down the very small hole in the left hand corner,and then try to get it back in over the top of the DIN cage.

Chris.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I put a cubby hole I won off ebay into my 04 golf.I cant use it.Under acceleration anything in it falls out.Proper VW stuff too,just bad design I guess or is it the PD150 just too much of a beast???.[:p]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I put a cubby hole I won off ebay into my 04 golf.I cant use it.Under acceleration anything in it falls out.Proper VW stuff too,just bad design I guess or is it the PD150 just too much of a beast???.[:p]
Well i think you will find that ANY of the PD engines are far better then there petrol hal breeds.[:#]

Ding Ding...

·
Registered
337 Posts
In the TDIs stuff falls out the cubby hole

in the 1.8Ts it falls out and gets pressed into the back seats!

So its official...The cubby hole is useless,just becomes useless quicker in the TDI's than the petrol version..hehe [:D]

ding ding round 2

·
Super Moderator
50,237 Posts
Stuff probably only falls out of the cubby hole on diesels because of the cement mixer full of bricks like tickover causing SOOOOOOO much vibration.Unlike the petrol engines which of course always purr like contented kittens!
(Apparantly now I have to indicate we all have to laugh out loud by writing "LOL" or something).

Chris.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I relined my Cubby Hole with some this rubber sheet Stuff like my DVD remote stick in there better now - But the remote smells rubbery now

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'm thining of buying a cubby hole off ebay. I've got an Alpine HU and a VW single disc above it which is not connected. I think I see how to take the single disc out (VW stereo keys form Halfords perhaps?).

Then what? Tidy up the cables I'm guessing.

But is the Cubby easy to fit?? I would have thought so but reading this page makes me think its harder than it looks!!

Advice please.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think I see how to take the single disc out (VW stereo keys form Halfords perhaps?).
Make yourself a pair out of an old credit card! Or you could just buy a pair (reckon ebay will be cheaper than Halfrauds)

And yes, the cubby hole is very easy to fit

1 - 20 of 34 Posts