Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
what would you rather have? anyone on here had both?

pros and cons please....
I would rather have a CTR, its a real proper hot hatch, 0 - 100 time is within a second of an R32!! Its a very under-rated car, weighs very little

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
although the 4mo has a more powerful engine it has less power at the wheels(due to 4wd transmission loss) and weighs more so the civic is quicker and handles better but i find the 4mo a great allrounder, terrific engine ,its really smooth but when you nail it the growl it makes is fantastic plus the haldex 4 motion system has loads of grip even in torrential rain (i should know i live in scotland) ive had a few gos at ctr's and ive got the edge when wet epecially with about 50 more lb/ft than the civic but no doubt in the dry the ctr is quicker

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
although the 4mo has a more powerful engine it has less power at the wheels(due to 4wd transmission loss) and weighs more so the civic is quicker and handles better but i find the 4mo a great allrounder, terrific engine ,its really smooth but when you nail it the growl it makes is fantastic plus the haldex 4 motion system has loads of grip even in torrential rain (i should know i live in scotland) ive had a few gos at ctr's and ive got the edge when wet epecially with about 50 more lb/ft than the civic but no doubt in the dry the ctr is quicker
True the CTR is mega focused - which is its strength and weakness. But as a basic platform the Civic chassis is much stiffer than the mk iv. In type R form they put in thinner glass, strip out the soundproofing, add strut bars to make it even more rigid. The gearbox is a work of art - short, light. You can attack gear changes.

The downsides are, no reach adjustment for the steering, rubbish stereo, very noisy at motorway, spare wheel space saver doesn't fit on the front (fouls brake discs), ride is very hard - proper hot hatch.

I chose my 150 over a CTR, I couldn't see myself living with one for long term. It doesn't get close for fun but it isn't that compromised either - exactly why I buy VW's. MK V GTi is a case in point, not the fastest but it does it all.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The CTR is more reliable too [;)]

I used to own a CTR and before that a remapped 1.8T, so ok it wasn't a V6 4Mo but my 1.8T could lick a V6 at the lights. CTR is very basic inside, and as said above the stereo is rubbish, just turn loudness off and turn the levels up a bit and it's ok.

If I'm honest, I didn't feel as safe in the CTR as I did in the Golf due to weight differences. I think you may find a CTR a little impractical for your needs after a while. It's one of those great fun cars, but it wears off after a while. Although I do like the look of the new CTR GT.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've driven my mates, now chipped and tuned CTR and have to say it flys.But i know which i feel safest in.

Also a CTR screams out to the coppers when its performing.I don't like to advertise that i'm doing something i shouldn't be.

At normal revs a 4mo is far more enjoyable and relaxed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have to disagree. I dont believe a ctr to be boring. I had mine for a year and didnt once think my god this car is boring. It is also just as practical as any other car with good boot space and room for passengers! Also the car can be driven safely and slowly along with speed and safe cornering! I have a gt tdi 130 now and wouldnt change it for anything. But i have to disagree with some comments about the ctr. sk4tec comments are spot on, just my view on the matter!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Didnt have a civic but the arguably more potent Accord Type R

It depends on what YOU want... either?

a sports car that can be driven 2 ways, like a pensioners micra or a hyabusa with an suicidal amphetamine junkie rider, it has 2 speeds slow and nutter mental speed....

However if you want something that is nearly as quick, but can cruise fast and accelerate gracefully as well as stupidly fast (without attracting the rozzers or making passengers cry) then the 4motion is for you....

The 4motion IMO having spent 3 years with one will need modding, the standard shock absorbers, springs and tyres are not upto the job full stop....

After that the 4motion is perfect, and can wear its miles much better than the Honda, the thicker panels and harder plastics scratch less, wear less and pick up less car park dents and stone chips than the Honda and the interior is definatley a nicer place to be....

However the Honda wont have random coilpacks fail, windows that fall into the door, fans that fail and random knocks from the suspension.. and the dealer will be nice to you and wont randomly attempt to rape your wallet, unlike the VW counterpart.

However, I sold my Honda after 9 months, why? I loved to drive it, but I was going to lose my license, my colleagues and superiors thought I looked like an immatuer boy racer and my family were scared to go the super market with me as I was never going to drive like a pensioner..

I kept the VW for three years because...It aged well and seemed no older after 3 years, I caught the DUB bug, I could mod it without being perceived as a boy racer by people.. My wife could drive itt easily, it did family holidays to Cornwall as well as a blast through Delamere forest... a great all round car...

But most of all It rains here 75% of the year... the 4motion can be driven quickly in all weather 100% of the time the CTR can only be driven quick when its dry... hence I would only get 25% use out of the type r and yet get 100% out of the 4motion.. value for money in my eyes... and the reason why I went and bought a nice new R32 as I now have the faith I love these v6 4wd cars....

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
AndyMacs comment about pensioners reminds me of a few 'older' drivers I've seen driving a 1.6 VTi (the 160 BHP one!!!). I'm sure they think its a 'nice Honda' and have probablly never V-Tec'd it... almost makes me feel sorry for the poor engine - it wants to be V-Tec'd[8-|]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
You can tell the ones that have never been 'driven'. Hit VTEC and a plume of soot and shit will magically appear out of the backbox.

There is an old lady (and I mean late 70's going on 80's) with a Civic Jordan round my way. She can hardly get in or out of it. Makes me laugh everytime.

Anyway CTR, great car, but the complete opposite to a 4Mo in most ways.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
thanks for all the opinions -

CTR it is then,

cheers
LOL - I get 'itchy feet' every few months and want an 'R' - sitting in one with those seats and that short shift gear lever it feels very motor sport! Let us know if you take one for a test drive how you get on.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Not really a fair comparision as I feel the cars are designed and marketed to different audiences, but my 2pence is as follows;

4mo - looks like any other golf (good or bad, depending on viewpoint), great sounding (and flexible) engine, improved traction over rest of the range, decent egonomics/quality of trim, but handling is poor (like all mkiv's), and steering is vague (again like all mkiv's).

CTR - undoubtably a focused drivers car. Superb seats, engine, gearbox - cheap everything else. Not a relaxed drive.

After experience of friends type-r's (integra), and the reports I've heard on the civic and even S2000 (which i would love to own), the vtec engines are awesome in performance at the top end, but are just not flexible like vw engines. Again, I can fully appreciate they are appealing to a different driving style. The torque figure low down is very little, so if you can live with everything else in terms of trim, looks, etc, it comes down to driveability, and your daily commute...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Not really a fair comparision as I feel the cars are designed and marketed to different audiences, but my 2pence is as follows;

4mo - looks like any other golf (good or bad, depending on viewpoint), great sounding (and flexible) engine, improved traction over rest of the range, decent egonomics/quality of trim, but handling is poor (like all mkiv's), and steering is vague (again like all mkiv's).

CTR - undoubtably a focused drivers car. Superb seats, engine, gearbox - cheap everything else. Not a relaxed drive.

After experience of friends type-r's (integra), and the reports I've heard on the civic and even S2000 (which i would love to own), the vtec engines are awesome in performance at the top end, but are just not flexible like vw engines. Again, I can fully appreciate they are appealing to a different driving style. The torque figure low down is very little, so if you can live with everything else in terms of trim, looks, etc, it comes down to driveability, and your daily commute...
True they are very different!! But perhaps I'm comparing more to my TDi than from a 4-mo. I think ultimately a 40mo is more sporty than my TDi (in the way that all petrols are over diesels).

I've been out in a CTR which felt fast but the edge was taken off as a mate has a S2000, that is silly fast - just when you wonder when it will kick in the engine changes cam and goes mental!! The S2000 makes the CTR feel a little slow, however its almost as fast on a track. I've been out in a Teg too - lol my first experience of 9K redline.

With regards to the new CTR, I feel a little let down by Honda - feels like they lost their nerve when they say its going to be more 'comfortable' than the last one. Yeah perhaps it will sell to a wider range of people but R's are meant to be hardcore.

Lol - don't get me started on the torsion beam rear end! I know they did it so they could have those fancy magic seats (fuel tank in the middle). It means it will handle but the roll stiffness will translate to ride stiffness.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i did go out and buy one, CTR that is :)

its not bad, buy soon going to sell and replace with E46 M3, Con,

Thanks guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts