Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
774 Posts
If practicality isn't an issue I'd also take a Cooper S Works over a Type R or 1.8T anyday (I've either owned or extensively test driven both)

The day after I picked up my 150PD I got lost in the Worthing area and stumbled upon the JCW garage by accident. They were just opening and noticed me looking admiringly at their secondhand stock. They are enthusiasts and after a short conversation offered me a test drive.

Let's just say that after an hours "go and play by yourself" drive I nearly PX'd the anniversary there and then even though I'd had it for just one day. Of course I'd just got rid of an Impreza because it was hugely impractical and could hardly justify yet another car you need to refuel with SP98 every few hundred miles but it handled fantastically. Next car for the girlfriend will be the later JCW.

In the meantime repeat to oneself- "it's about practicality" ad infinitum until I believe it.[V]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Go and test drive the car, its the only real way of making an informed decision[;)]

Couple of suggestions for you from someone who has and does own a CTR as a second car. Replaced on Friday our version 1 CTR with a facelifted one. If you can do get a facelifted car as it has been smoothed a little, handles even better and is quicker across the rev range; try (if not buying new) and also get a car with the optional/additional front speakers as it improves the sound quality of the OEM system immensely, Air con is a must, and if you are a superficial tart like me then get the front fog lamps as the car looks better with them (even though you will never use them)[:I].

Beyond that its a fab car, facelifted or not. The only Golf I would have in preference is an R32; nuff said.[;)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by mk4 Turbo on 19/02/2005 10:58:59

Should be having the test drive today/tomorrow [:D]

Leather would look good but suggest you don't bother (keep the money for something else) as it really doesn't add much unless you really, really want it!

Let us know what you think[;)]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Two of my mates have them (both black pre-facelift).

Personally I couldn't live with one after having the Golf. The Golf has so many 'luxury' touches- the CTR doesn't even have an outside temp guage!

No aircon, no fogs, tinny radio, front seats which don't go back to where they were if you have anyone in the back, same electric mirror switch that was in Rover 200's in 1990, really cheap alarm fob which loses it's lock/unlock drawings after a few months, etc. etc.

These things may not bother you, but personally I can see where they have saved every single one of the ?4k over the Golf.

Still a cracking engine when you're in the mood though! [:D]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Had a test drive on Sat night and I was quite impressed. There was a noticeable lack of torque compared to the Golf whilst on the move, but off the line, you could tell the CTR would eat the Golf. It was quick enough on the move and nice to potter around in. Stiff ride to say the least.

Overall I am impressed with the car, and the girlfriend liked driving it too. I am now pretty much going to get the CTR [:D]

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.