Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Flogged to death 1000 times!! Good subject though [:D]

You would love the rawness of the CTR, the noise of the engine and the fact it wants to be ragged to bits as it is as happy going falt out as cruising. It is frantic and bags of fun. It also holds its money very well. I still have not seen an early CTR for less than 10k which is 33% less than the original price.

Being negative, if you are not in the mood, it may be tiresome and the plus points above could be negative. The high rev, low torque engine means you must be in the right gear at all times for the performance to be on tap.

The Civic is very reliable, might out accelarate your 1.8T (would not be any slower) and a CTR is an amazing car to drive.

I would have a CTR over a MKV GTi as all the performance and better handling are available in the CTR according to mags. The GTI is a better car it would seem, but the ?5000 premium is a lot.

If you chose a CTR, I am sure you would be very happy [:D]

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I am sure a remapped 1.8T would nail a Civic mid-range, but you don't drive a CTR mid-range, only near the red line [}:)][:D]! Honestly, get a test drive of one and you will see what I mean [:)]

And yes, in the "zone" ( above 5500rpm when the VTEC technology kicks in) there is plenty of push/throw back!

Try it - you will love it!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
A second hand, 3 year old remapped S3 would cost the same as a new CTR though.

I had two VTi Civics and they had the same basic design of engine as the CTR and I found them great to live with every day. It doubled up as a mild mannered town car for the girl friend and when you wanted it, a high rev sports car.

Horses for courses. If you like laid back lazy high torque driving the CTR is not the correct choice. If you like to work the car, the CTR is ace!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.