Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic may well have been done to death, but I am seriously considering changing my Golf for a CTR.

What would I possibly like and dislike most about the change? Is it a wise move or a bad one?

I want a car that's reliable, can match the acceleration of my APR98 mapped 1.8T and it obviously has to be nice to drive.

The car I'd really like is the new MKV GTi, but can't really afford it. However, a girl I know/might (soon well be seeing [:D]) her Sister sells cars for Honda, so I might well get a half decent discount and finance.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Flogged to death 1000 times!! Good subject though [:D]

You would love the rawness of the CTR, the noise of the engine and the fact it wants to be ragged to bits as it is as happy going falt out as cruising. It is frantic and bags of fun. It also holds its money very well. I still have not seen an early CTR for less than 10k which is 33% less than the original price.

Being negative, if you are not in the mood, it may be tiresome and the plus points above could be negative. The high rev, low torque engine means you must be in the right gear at all times for the performance to be on tap.

The Civic is very reliable, might out accelarate your 1.8T (would not be any slower) and a CTR is an amazing car to drive.

I would have a CTR over a MKV GTi as all the performance and better handling are available in the CTR according to mags. The GTI is a better car it would seem, but the ?5000 premium is a lot.

If you chose a CTR, I am sure you would be very happy [:D]

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers dj [:)] I have been out accelerated by a couple of CTRs off the line, but I'm sure I've beat a couple mid-range, however not by a lot. So will I still feel a decent pull/throw back like in a remapped 1.8T?

You're right about the premium too, it does put me off a bit.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I am sure a remapped 1.8T would nail a Civic mid-range, but you don't drive a CTR mid-range, only near the red line [}:)][:D]! Honestly, get a test drive of one and you will see what I mean [:)]

And yes, in the "zone" ( above 5500rpm when the VTEC technology kicks in) there is plenty of push/throw back!

Try it - you will love it!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Out and out performance is one thing. Living with car day to day is also very important.

Jason Plato said that when he drove the new MK5 GTI on Fifth gear. Said for everyday driving he'd have the GTI over the TypeR.

TypeR is a great car but has to be thrashed to extract its true performance. GTI is a much more laid back drive due to the huge torque available from the 2L turbo.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess that's what I need to weigh up really, as I will miss the available torque on tap.

As for the MKV GTi, I can't really afford it, well maybe over 5 years I could, but I get bored of cars easily.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A second hand, 3 year old remapped S3 would cost the same as a new CTR though.

I had two VTi Civics and they had the same basic design of engine as the CTR and I found them great to live with every day. It doubled up as a mild mannered town car for the girl friend and when you wanted it, a high rev sports car.

Horses for courses. If you like laid back lazy high torque driving the CTR is not the correct choice. If you like to work the car, the CTR is ace!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing is....... I like to do both [:D] I love working the Golf too at times [;)]

A CTR might be on the cards for March/April then, as that's when the finance is paid off on the Golf [:D]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Has anyone seent he spy shots of the new Type R Civic?? Supposed 240hp, but the style of it looks awesome! It sort of has a bubble back window with a spolier across it. Can't remember where I saw the picckies but it did look awesome! (which is something I did not think when the current one was released, having said all that it has grown on me style wise).

·
Registered
771 Posts
Quote: posted by mk4 Turbo on 16/01/2005 14:28:22

I guess that's what I need to weigh up really, as I will miss the available torque on tap.

Thats the one thing the TypeR lacks. Had a good play with one the other day. Pretty even up to reasonable speeds. Although on a long uphill stretch the torque really shows [^] Gave each other the thumbs up when he cut of at the next junction. All good fun [:D] Pity I couldn't tell him it was a diesel [:p]

If your thinking of a TypeR, the sensible thing would be to look for a second hand facelifted model with a couple of thousand on the clock. One or two for sale up in the Glasgow area. Nice wee saving on new too [:)] - read money for induction kit and exhaust [;)]

·
Registered
771 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 16/01/2005 15:21:51

Has anyone seent he spy shots of the new Type R Civic?? Supposed 240hp, but the style of it looks awesome! It sort of has a bubble back window with a spolier across it. Can't remember where I saw the picckies but it did look awesome! (which is something I did not think when the current one was released, having said all that it has grown on me style wise).

Pictures here - http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spy-shots-2004/H/honda-civic.html

·
Registered
771 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 16/01/2005 16:19:50

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not another CTR vs 1.8T thread [:p]

I know, this has been done a 1000 times before!

The ONLY way to compare them is to drive each. mk4 Turbo get yourself down to your local Honda stealer and get a test drive. You can have a million opinions from us on here but only you will be able to decide if it's right for you.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
that new Civic looks tat! while performance is important and everyone likes to be able to put their foot down and know its there, styling wise the CTR doesnt compare in my opinion!

At the end of the day, its all about opinions, Golf IV or V anyday!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by PhatPhil on 16/01/2005 16:58:55

Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 16/01/2005 16:19:50

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not another CTR vs 1.8T thread [:p]

I know, this has been done a 1000 times before!

The ONLY way to compare them is to drive each. mk4 Turbo get yourself down to your local Honda stealer and get a test drive. You can have a million opinions from us on here but only you will be able to decide if it's right for you.

I know what you're saying, and I really do need to sort that test drive out [:D] shouldn't be too much of a problem [:)]

Ultimately I would like the MKV GTi but I also need to think of buying a house too. I don't think the cost is viable for me really. I have never had a car from new, and I might well get a good deal on the CTR. Don't ask why, but I've always wanted a car from new [:D] oh and I've never owned Jap either.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I shouldn't have called this thread CTR vs 1.8T and more along the lines of general opinions/living with the CTR [;)]

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was faced with the same thing recently.

Couldn't afford the MkV GTI. Well, could but I'd need to upgrade it to get shut of the burberry seats [;)] And that'd be well expensive

So took a Mini Cooper S for a test drive. Fantastic! Rapid Gokart fun [:D] Handling is imense!

I'm sure I'd have loved a CTR if I'd driven one to tbh as all I hear is good things about them from a driving point of view, but I don't like the looks one bit vs a Golf or a Mini.

Just get the test drive sorted and see what you think (and post on here to tell us!!) They're meant to be brill but only you can decide as was said above. Oh, and take a Cooper S out aswell. I know I got a shock when I drove one.. as to just how well cars can handle! A dream

[:D]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts