Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hehehehhe

Came up against my 1st CTR on the way home tonight on the M42.

Traffic was being held up by a lorry overtaking when I came up behind him, we were all doing about 50mph, if that.

As the lorry pulled over (it was 2 cars up on him) I heard him change down getting ready, so I followed & popped her in 4th, traffic all moves on & pulls over & off we both go.............

I sat on his ass in 4th up to about 85, then clicked in 5th, @ 120 he pulled over & thats when I popped in 6th & cruised on by

I can imagine him thinking "How the F*%K did he keep up" [:D]

I know from the lights he'd have kicked my ass for sure, but out on the "real" roads, he has to wait for his "v-tec" to scream in, I have to add I had less than 1/4 tank of fuel & on my own (as he was too)

Shame he pulled over as I'd have enjoyed going the whole hog to the max.

· Registered
935 Posts
Good show but you do have the torque advantage [;)]

If he'd been driving properly, he would have pretty much been in vtec
in 3rd, so not much waiting. It's a pity the CTR won't even do 60 in
2nd really.

I had a MK5 behind me the other night, which I'm guessing was a TDi 140
and I never really pulled that far ahead of him (especially uphill). I
opened up maybe a 3 car lengths on him, 5 at max.

· Registered
10,609 Posts
Bad mis-conception that CTR driver's have to 'wait' for the Vtec to
kick in.. they don't! All they do is 'snick snick' down 3
gears and they would be well into the zone!

I've also found out recently that slipstreaming gives a bigger
advantage than I first thought... next time try side by side and
watch the advantage fall away! its quite suprising actually :)

but well done

VW - 1

Honda - 0

· Registered
990 Posts
I had one on the M6 a couple of months back. I was cruising in the outside lane about 90 when it came out of nowhere. I moved over and let him past, waited a few seconds and floored it. It didn't take me long to catch and pass him, by which time I was doing jailbait speeds.

· Registered
27 Posts
Mate, if your PD150 is bog standard, the Civic would have kicked your a$$ if you gave it another 1500 yeards or so - people dont realise how quick they are, at the top end - The PD150 takes far to long to reach 130mph - the CTR would have left you at 130.

My Tuned pd 130 used to leave 'em at around 70ish, but the longer they chased, the closer they got and eventually sailed past me - even at 140mph !!!!

· Registered
7,207 Posts
I had one on the M6 a couple of months back. I was
cruising in the outside lane about 90 when it came out of nowhere.
I moved over and let him past, waited a few seconds and floored it. It
didn't take me long to catch and pass him, by which time I was doing
jailbait speeds.
I reckon the CTR driver came off the gas then or didnt realise he was racing you, theres no way you
would gain enough momentum to match the CTR then more besides to
actually gain on him to pass.

To do that would take a serious difference in bhp, assuming you havent
changed your turbo? then you would be down on power anyway.

· Registered
990 Posts
Of course he did!

Gary you can speculate all you want mate. My mate recently bought a 225 Leon, chipped to 275bhp. On a blast down the A82 Loch Lomod road last weekend he was marginally quicker than me on the straights, and his car eats CTR's for breakfast! I have been in it with him taking on all sorts of so-called quick cars, including ctr's.

Oh by the way, my car is on the oem vnt17.

· Registered
493 Posts
I know from the lights he'd have kicked my ass for sure, but out on the "real" roads, he has to wait for his "v-tec" to scream in, I have to add I had less than 1/4 tank of fuel & on my own (as he was too)
I'd hardly call a motorway a real road[:^)]. I get a lot of people trying in the RX8. Whilst I'm under no illusion that it's not the fastest car on the market it can keep pace with most. However, on a "real" road (i.e. one with corners as well as straight bits) it's in a different league. Motorways are ok if you simply want to see who has the better top speed (read; who bottles it first) but for a proper test of driving skill and car capability you can't beat a good country road IMO.

Well done on the "win" though. It seems a lot of CTR drivers believe they are above most others on the roads. (Not ALL but a lot, before I get flamed[;)])

· Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Of course he did!

Gary you can speculate all you want mate. My mate recently bought a 225 Leon, chipped to 275bhp. On a blast down the A82 Loch Lomod road last weekend he was marginally quicker than me on the straights, and his car eats CTR's for breakfast! I have been in it with him taking on all sorts of so-called quick cars, including ctr's.

Oh by the way, my car is on the oem vnt17.
Just out of curiosity, what mods have you done to your diesel for a 275bhp Cupra R to only be 'marginally' quicker than yours[^o)]

Its going to take me a while to get used to my CTR on the motorway, on my way home from picking it up I was being overtaken by Focus's, Golf TDI's etc, but thats because I was in 6th doing 3000rpms, drop it down a couple of gears though and everything goes blurry[Y]

I wouldn't mind going up against a re-mapped 150PD just to compare, i'm not bothered in the least if it was quicker as I love them to bits and I couldn't be more happy with my choice of car.

· Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That makes quite interesting reading, & I agree with them, the PD150 (Std form) is more a Grand Tourer, than a Rice Rocket.

I've checked the weight for the CTR & it weighs in @ 1247kg, & the PD150 comes in @ 1388kg, which makes the CTR 141kg lighter, which is a similar weight to two adults. I wonder how much a full tank of fuel weighs ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.