Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[8)] How difficult is it to activate and fit cruise control to a bora tdi engine?I understand that vag com can activate the ecu but has anyone fitted cruise control using vag parts?Does it need another module fitting or just a switch etc once activated by vag-com?Any advice greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I only did my install of cruise the other night. I have experience with car electrics due to a year installing car audio, but never anything like that. I found Foxy's guide very detailed, very helpful, and very easy to follow. I was most nervous removing the airbag from the steering wheel in case I fubar'd it. One thing that foxys guide does not say to do, which I did when doing the airbag incase it made a difference, was disconnect the earth strap on the battery. it may mean you have to reset clocks and radios etc, but it might help avoid a problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for the advice i`ll disconnect the battery as a precaution as i`d rather have to reset the radio etc than repair blown electronics [!]

The parts are on order from VW so watch this space for the results.

PS:Did your installation work ok once activated and fitted as your engine sounds like the same type as mine ie;a non PD TDI with fly by wire throttle?

[:)]

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yeah, installed with no probs. The only thing that doesnt work, is the cruise light in the dash cluster, but thats not important IMO.

I was bricking it though when putting a screwdriver in to the back of the airbag unit releasing it! lol. Once you learn the knack, its easy, as I had to release it today as when driving along, I realised I put the wheel back on a few degrees off centre and that annoyed me.

I have a non PD TDI, and I think its a great lump. My dad driven it and quite likes it. In snow, it goes better up hills etc than the 4X4 my dad has! lol

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Good news folks...........the old chesnut "how to" guide still proving popular then?

Some earlier models don't have the binnacle 'cruise' light where later models do.

One of the best mods you can do IMHO.

·
Registered
52 Posts
does your guide work on a 2003 seat leon cupra R

i have read somewhere that these cars might have an existing loom. last thing i wanna do is strip the car down and have it in bits. also i have ESP so is that a problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys(and girls)!

Now,I realy hate to trouble someone because of my incompetance...but here we go-i bought a retro vw cruise control,took off all the lower dash panels/in the engine comp.i took off plastic cover,viper mechanism....and now I`am stuck! Is there anyone there who is willing to help,i would pay for their help! Anybody there ?!?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I need some help. i have fitted the kit and activated it on vag com. and when i turn the switch to on the green light on the dash comes on. however i can not get it to work. is it just operational driver error or is there somthing wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks, newby here so excuse my lack of knowledge....first VW

I have bought a 56 plate Golf GT 1.4TSi (170 bhp I think??)

I want to fit cruise control but unfortunately the link to Foxys site no longer works.

So a few questions:

1 what is the part number for the stalk that I need to buy and what should it cost?

2 do I need to fit any extra wires for a 2006 car?

3 once I fit the stalk and connect it up will the cruise control work straight off or does the ECU need to be enabled OR does the bit with changing the code in the ECU only enable the on off indicator for the cruise control.....so not a problem if the ECU is not updated?

4 what is the system used for updating the ECU. Is this a system that only VW garages have?

5 anything else I should know that obvious to everyone else but not to a complete VW virgin?

Thanks for your help

Gordon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.