21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2001 Bora 1.9TDI PD115(AJM)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
k
Rectangle Art Font Tints and shades Pattern

Mesh Rectangle Font Creative arts Net

Checked in vcds. Field 4 group 6 should show 4 values, only getting 2. 1st bit corresponds to cc turning off and on(which also turns the light on the dash on) however pushing set/increase/decrease speed doesn't show anything... I expect 4 values from there yet only getting 2.. can't figure this out guys..

Engine code shows the "G" in the code which indicates CC is coded in the ecu(according to Ross-tech) i provided pictures

· Registered
11,653 Posts
yeah it's coded leaves you to open up the CC stalk and clean all the contacts than follow the cables... as they might not not be pushed in far enough to into the connector. if you have no clue look in the how2 section on how to retrofit the CC.. it'll show you exactly what to check.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just checked the wiring, all good. Checked again in VCDS: Found the binary bits for the buttons; all buttoms seem to work. The decrease speed is finicky sometimes, but even while driving when I press or hold any button, nothing seems to engage the CC.
Cleared all faults. No faults present on any module, not on engine, Abs, comfort, airbag, nowhere.

Still doesn't hold speed! What am I missing!?!?

· Registered
11,653 Posts
mweh i had a Chinese special worked just fine in over 8 years of use... but how you describe it it sounds like the buttons don't react as they should, might be you got a bad one it can happen. When i got mine i did compare it to the old one and the newer design is way better than the old one i had on my car. but the buttons on the old one felt way better and i found out the internals of the oem one where better quality. (but the new design just worked easier so i stuck with the new design one)

· Registered
11,653 Posts
If VCDS sees it than the lot should work faultless, does the CC light go out when you press the brake pedal? if it does than basically it should work as it's supposed to unless you are trying to turn it on while being in to low a gear and speed.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
When I flick the CC switch to ON, the light on the dash appears. Nothing makes it go away unless switching the cc switch to OFF. Pushing any of the top buttons doesn't change anything. No indication of it setting speed, just a green cc light on the dash. Yes, I checked the Brake pedal sensors and clutch pedal sensor too, they all work. I try the CC every morning going into work, with a range of speeds from 40mph all the way to 80mph.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'll give those things a go.

Still thinking that the decrease speed button being finicky is my issue. Sometimes it registers being pressed sometimes not. Might be bad contact and it just doesn't get pressed long enough to activate CC(I remember to activate cruise you HOLD decrease speed for a couple seconds then it starts the CC) VCDS has a slow update rate so even though it looks like its being pressed and held down it might be constantly flicking on and off. Gonna take this stalk apart and check the wires individually with a multimeter tonight. I'll keep everyone updated here.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hello all,
I have good news. I got the cruise control working!

Turns out it was indeed a small issue;
Both stalks(old and new) suffered from the same mishap; a broken ribbon cable.
The last wire corresponding to the set/decrease speed was broken on both the old and new stalk. Open circuit.
Because of this, cruise control will never fully activate, even though the dash lights up.
I took apart the old stalk and managed to splice a wire onto an unused contact pad of the broken wire. Ran it to the front and soldered it to the correct pin.
É voila, the cruise control is now happily working.
I'm returning the new stalk i ordered and i will be digging around some mk4's on the scrappy to find a replacement that works. For now, this works fine.

I've attached pictures of the repair below;

Thanks to everyone for the help! This case is closed.
Electrical wiring Wood Gas Cable Table

Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gas Gadget Eyewear

21 - 33 of 33 Posts