Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2001 Bora 1.9TDI PD115(AJM)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm in a complete loss with this cruise control nonsense.
I have a 2001 VW bora 1.9tdi(AJM, 115PS)

Swapped out a wheel speed sensor today due to ABS light being on the dash(vcds comfirmed, rear left was broken)
Changed the sensor to a brand new one, cleared codes in vcds and abs light went away. Tested abs, works perfect(none of the wheels locked.)
I hoped this would fix my cruisecontrol but no, if i turn the switch on the stalk on it will show a green cruise control symbol, but no matter what i do(slide and hold slider, press or hold button on top of stalk) it will NOT hold speed once i let go of the throttle.
I checked the clutch and brake light switches thru vcds(group 3 on abs module i think?) Both clutch sensor and brake switch work fine. Tried some codes but to no avail.
Only strange thing is I have ASR on this car, but it has never worked. I have an asr button next to hazard button but pressing or holding it doesn't do anything. With lights on it says asr in red like everything else but doesnt turn yellow or anything. Car rips burnouts everywhere so asr doesn't work.
Checked wheel speed sensor values too; all are dead accurate and expected values. Car currently has no fault codes anywhere, checked all fuses and no fuses are burnt.
I have a vag-com cable and VCDS lite, so i'm able to do a bit of programming, i used to work as a car mechanic so i can do a lot of things myself.
I hope somebody has an answer to this! Hoping to get cruise control working before the weekend as i'm taking a big road trip to scotland.

· Registered
282 Posts
The bigish slide button facing you on the left hand stalk has two switched positions and a sprung position. Right - off. Click to the left (middle) position - on. Sprung position further left marked RES and + increases set speed. There is a second button on the end of same stalk which when pressed decreases set speed.
When I use it, accelerate to 70 (or whatever), switch to on, lift of accelerator pedal, speed usualy drops a bit, press On/Off/Res button further to the left for two seconds and release, feel speed increase and be maintained, repeat till you are going at the desired speed. Well thats how mine works!! Doesnt work below 30.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bigish slide button facing you on the left hand stalk has two switched positions and a sprung position. Right - off. Click to the left (middle) position - on. Sprung position further left marked RES and + increases set speed. There is a second button on the end of same stalk which when pressed decreases set speed.
When I use it, accelerate to 70 (or whatever), switch to on, lift of accelerator pedal, speed usualy drops a bit, press On/Off/Res button further to the left for two seconds and release, feel speed increase and be maintained, repeat till you are going at the desired speed. Well thats how mine works!! Doesnt work below 30.
Tried this exactly how you described it, but nothing. Don't hold speed. Tried it at 30mph, 40, 50, 60, 70, nothing. Just keeps sagging down and no acceleration by the cruise control system whatsoever. Tried pushing the switch, holding it 2sec like you said, nothing works.

· Registered
396 Posts
On my old V6 you press the bottom button on the left stalk to set the cruise control. The top button resumes the last saved speed if you have used the brakes/changed gear

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my old V6 you press the bottom button on the left stalk to set the cruise control. The top button resumes the last saved speed if you have used the brakes/changed gear
Mine doesn't have a bottom button. Only slider and top button.
I don't think i'm using it wrong, it worked fine on my old mk4 sharan vr6. Just click to turn on, then hold 1 sec to left and it sets. This car has an issue, hardware or software, which prevents the cruise control from functioning. I want to figure out the issue.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle
Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

· Registered
11,653 Posts
nah that is just a pre 2000 stalk, and if that is the case i'd just replace it for the newer model... problem with those is the internals are probably worn, mine was i cleaned it a few times until i got fed up with it and replaced it with the newer model stalk (bought a cheap chinese made one) replaced and worked fine, even on the day i drove the car to the scrappy.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is ECU coded for cruise?
Yes, it should have cruise from the factory.

nah that is just a pre 2000 stalk, and if that is the case i'd just replace it for the newer model... problem with those is the internals are probably worn, mine was i cleaned it a few times until i got fed up with it and replaced it with the newer model stalk (bought a cheap chinese made one) replaced and worked fine, even on the day i drove the car to the scrappy.
I could see about getting a newer stalk. Weird that it has a pre 2000 stalk, its a 2001 vehicle

· Registered
11,653 Posts
vw always use all the older parts first (up until the 6th month of that production year) than the left overs are distributed to the spare parts departments. So it is possible to have an older style stalk... mine was from 1999 so had the older stalk that always acted up... replaced it with a new Chinese made one and it worked until the car went to the scrappy at 19 years old and 470K+ miles on the counter ( I drove it there so that should give you an idea of how well the running gear is designed) but that old stalk is a bad design made on the same basis (just looks more streamlined) than the older stalk of the mk3 era. The newer model not only feels better, it actually works better.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a way to test the current stalk? Like in vcds? I could give swapping the stalk for a newer one a go, which part number should i go after? Does the new stalk need to be coded in?

· Registered
11,653 Posts
jup but in my experience that older stalk is just a pita... it will pass the tests once you clean it to only work for a short period of time than it all stops working again... it is the reason why i replaced it on mine for the newer model. The older design CC stalk controls aren't the best and the newer design for the same model gives away that they knew about it.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Poke because still not fixed;

Did the Scotland trip, cruise didn't work unfortunately.
Changed the stalk, yet, still no cruise.
Someone hinted that it might be the CCM(Also why the ASR and multi info screen doesn't switch menu's. Sometimes interior lighting doesn't work)

Can you swap in a CCM from any mk4 or does it need to be option specific?(for example a ccm with cruisecontrol and asr will only work, not if it never came with cruise) or model specific?(for example only a bora CCM will fit, not one from a mk4 golf)

I'd love to try and swap the CCM to see if it helps, anyone have experience with this? Does it need to be coded in with vcds?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts