Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters tdi went for tyres last week and tyre fitter told her she had a cross threaded wheel locking bolt he managed to get it off , can anybody tell me whats involved in trying to sort this DIY, or what will it cost done at main dealer i assume it will need a new hub!or whatever

·
Registered
76 Posts
definitely not a DIY job in my opinion.

Doesnt have to be main dealer, any competent garage should be able to sort it for you.

Personally i would find out who cross threaded it and get them to stump up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i reckon it was like that when she bought it from corkills in liverpool ,that branch has been taken over now by liverpool vw and i dont think they are to fussed cause they never sold it i suppose its down to corkhills as the wheels have never been off it since she bought it just on 12 months ago

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Are you sure he meant cross threaded locking bolt, and not a locking bolt with a badly corroded head that he struggled to get off, it happened to a mate of mine, the locking nut wouldn't fit on the bolt and when the guy managed to get it out he told my mate it was cross threaded, mate took it to a garage to get the hole re-tapped and they told him there was nothing wrong with it. Have you had a look yourself? If not take one of the other bolts out and try that in the hole in question.

Not trying to say you don't know what you mean, but you don't know if someone is mechanically minded or not unless you ask.[:)]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks i have not had a look myself but she took it to corkhills in southport today they said it needed a new hub they are gonna let her know today 6pm if they will do it out of goodwill as it is less than 12mths since she got it off them, they have to get everything authorised through Wigan HQ branch fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks chris went to corkhills in southport today they fitted New hub, New w/bearing, and supplied a new set of locking wheel nuts, all free of charge good service or what, she had 2days of her warranty left

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.