Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its an intermitant problem when I turn the ignition key. Would say it happens 1 in 10 times. The car starts up and instantly lets out a high pitched bark sound. The only think I can descripe it is the noise a cat would probably make if you temporarily strangled it just for a second. Its fairly loud and really goes through me.

Its really only started since I took my car for a service, I have no idea where it is coming from but have tryed to stop it by turning the ignition key once, leavig it for a second or two and then starting up. Every time I have done this so far the car hasnt made the noise.

Anybody else had this problem in the past? Im considering taking it back to where I had the service but unless it does it there they wont be able to see what it is.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its intermitant how long do you think ive got? Parts and labour warrenty for 3 months so need to have it sorted really before then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If its intermitant how long do you think ive got? Parts and labour warrenty for 3 months so need to have it sorted really before then.
If you still have warranty book it in and get them to start the car ten times jobs a goodun

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Mine makes a noise, but doesn't sound as bad as yours....

Starter motors are ?65 at GSF, are they easy to change?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This isnt a matter of the starter failing. Its caused by the
starter soleniod which engages and disengages the starter is getting
stuck not allowing it to release fast enough.. Its commonly caused by
clutch dust getting worked up in it. If you remove the started
and just clean it up and reinstall the problem will most likely go
away..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you still have warranty book it in and get them to start the car ten times jobs a goodun
LOL :D Good call.

This isnt a matter of the starter failing. Its caused by the starter soleniod which engages and disengages the starter is getting stuck not allowing it to release fast enough.. Its commonly caused by clutch dust getting worked up in it. If you remove the started and just clean it up and reinstall the problem will most likely go away..
Cheers mate. Sounds like a money saving plan. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Helpful instructions

I didnt write them but they should be pretty much the same.
Atleast if you have an 02J tranny they defenitely will be.

www.tdiclub.com is where all us American TDI people like to hang
out. We have the occasional bit of helpful information also.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link. Sadly it looks too complicated for me to have a bash at on my own. I'll have to live with it for now :(

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
yer i agree it prob is started motor over running a bit ............

Or

Due to the cold weather a cat is climbing up inside you engine bay to keep warm over night

then you come along and start ya car and trap its tail in the belts lol............[:D]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Mine does this and has done for over a year....the other half has said its the starter motor, will probably get it replaced one day! You know what mechanics are like lol (sorry john) [:D]

edit: I don't have warranty! [:(]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could live with it but might as well get it sorted while I can for free. Its also slightly embarrasing when starting up in public!

P.s, ?154 for part and fitting. Could have got it cheaper as I took it to Kwik Fit because of their freebie check over the whole of my car.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had to book it in for Monday as they had to order one. Could I keep the old one clean it up and flog it?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I could live with it but might as well get it sorted while I can for free. Its also slightly embarrasing when starting up in public!
Yeah find it quite funny actually, when in tesco carpark and the amount of people that walk past me when I start the car that jump....makes me chuckle..... takes more than a starter motor to embarass me [:p]

The joys of the other half being a mechanic is they will put off as long as poss before doing anything...still its good that he does the work himself saving us a bob or two! [Y]

·
Registered
83 Posts
yer i agree it prob is started motor over running a bit ............

Or

Due to the cold weather a cat is climbing up inside you engine bay to keep warm over night

then you come along and start ya car and trap its tail in the belts lol............[:D]
Funny you should say that a mate of mine found a dead rat in his last month haha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts