Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an enclosed community of houses which has a front gate, for which I have a remote control to open it.

I want to replace one of the blank dash buttons with a button to open this gate, I assume its just having the button painted or getting a vw button that fits and looks like it opens a gate, maybe the cruise control button? And putting the actual remote behind it and wiring power from the car and mounting it so that the remote stays in place, perhaps also an antenna??

Anyone got any experience or ideas with this? Is it something I need to get done at an auto electricians?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I was thinking the same for the garage door, didn't look too deep into it but decided it looked way too tricky . . .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would have to check the battery voltage for the remote - could well be a little 12V A23 type battery, overwise would need to leave powered by existing battery (remote placed somewhere accessible so can change battery) or get a voltage regulator to reduce the car battery voltage.

Could wire it up to the horn switch - but would not be popular with neighbours late at night!

On my car there is a blanking plate next to the hazards switch - could fit another switch there, don't know what switches you have but some of the switches available are rear windscreen heater, seat heating, traction control. Would need to take switch apart and modify it so it does not latch in place as standard (change to momentary push action).

Otherwise a cheap push switch could be fitted somewhere under the dash where it is not visible.

Would need to take case off remote and solder wires to the existing push switch to allow new switch to be connected.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Id rather get a voltage regulator if it needs it.

I was thinking to use those dash switches and replace with one that looks like a gate or remote..... Maybe the cruise control.

So, Ill need to connect it to the battery directly and wires I can cut into which is near the hazard button? It only needs to work when engine is on, but would be just as good if it worked when engine wasnt.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have found something..........

http://www.miata.net/hakuna/garage.html

Shows how to wire the remote control, but has little on connecting it to the main battery, worth a try though. Now all I need to do is choose a button that looks most like a Gate.... Maybe the cruise control button if there is one for the golf???

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I saw on Vortex a product that is a direct replacement for a VW blanking switch which will learn your remote door code. The only reason I did not get one is because I think my code is scrambled each time it is used.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Think this is what Milkfloat was referring to

http://www.mikadotech.com/products.html

Here's my solution, one scrambled 4 channel controller linked in parallel with existing gate and garage door switches. I don't smoke so I've got a bit of wood covered in black felt inside the ashtray to position the remote at the appropriate height. Slide back the cover, one button for the gate, one button for the garage door and two spares for things like arming a security system or turning on outside lights if necessary.

Posted Image

I'm well into this home automation stuff (automatic lights, temp sensors and fan controls, irrigation, verbal announcements of who's calling, warnings about doors left unlocked and endless other stuff).

·
Registered
70 Posts
vw cruise control is generally on the indicator stalk, so there wont be a dash mount button for it. However, if you wanted to use a dash mount button, the ESP one I have does not latch on (alike a heated rear window switch), so may be worth sourcing one of these.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts