Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are 2 photos of my passenger side seat - leather Recaro's in my 2001 GTI - anyone else got a crease like this?

Drivers side isnt as bad - obviously has some lines, but i just thought this was worse than normal?

Posted Image

Posted Image

took to the stealers but that said no warranty claim, and its c?200 for a new seat base.

be interested to know if anyone elses have gone the same way, cheers!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Mine are also in a similar state, I presume it's from my backside streching the leather.

I'm not to worried as the quality of the leather in the crease is still perfect, no scratches or cracking leather.

I would just invest in some leather conditioner/protector to help the leather stay subtle and hopefully it may help shrink it a little.

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 07/01/2005 10:33:42

Nope thats very normal, cheap leather unfortunately. Mine are going that way

So we won't be able to cure the problem with a steam iron then ? [:D]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 07/01/2005 10:26:11

Mine are also in a similar state, I presume it's from my backside streching the leather.

my (size 8) girlfriend sits over that side, and its worse than the drivers side, so i wouldnt go blaming your backside [:eek:)]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hope mine doesnt end up going like that! I got my cloth Recaro's retrimmed (not by VW) and the leather on mine looks much better quality than the factory stuff. If i were you guys i'd be writing a strongly worded letter to VW about that, as hmi1750 says "not on!"

cat

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is how mine look after 17k miles. Drivers side looks worse than it is because of the flash i think. To be honest, i couldnt judge whether this is bad wear/stretching or not as they are my 1st leathers [:D]

http://tinypic.com/177imw

http://tinypic.com/177iq1

What does everyone think?

A member here, john_wintle, can sort you guys out with some Swissol stuff to keep the leather looking fresh. He gave me some great leather-care advise.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I post some more pics of my seats up this evening, after I've cleaned them, as my car has done 69K and I feel look in better condition than the pic's posted by kingkoop.

·
Registered
796 Posts
you know, looking at my Sport leathers they are nowhere NEAR as bad as those. My car is 4 years old, 55k on the clock and the only visible descrepancy is the drivers base is just starting to show some very slight (and I do mean slight) stretch/creases where the seat base joins with the side bits...

anyone know about the relative quality of the leather of these seats?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote: posted by rfsteel on 08/01/2005 10:42:21

I post some more pics of my seats up this evening, after I've cleaned them, as my car has done 69K and I feel look in better condition than the pic's posted by kingkoop.

I think that photo really did bring out the worst in them. Here is one without the flash, still got creases but looks more like how i see them in real life.

http://tinypic.com/1793s9

Ill post some more once i get the Swissol stuff from john.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Here are some more pics of my recaros which have done 69K with mainly the driver.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The seats look wet as I had just washed them with some Autoglym leather cleaner, and awaiting the application of some swissol leather milk.

·
Registered
703 Posts
wow, the rears look new... mine get used a lot though so ahve creases on them... the fronts it appears get saggy from a young age and remain that way... they do wear well though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hmi, that sounds spot on from the looks of things. Although mine have some sagging/stretching and are relatively new, it looks like the guys who have done considerably more bottom mileage in them dont seem to have experienced much more deterioration further down the line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts